By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer: Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers (It also connects to your TV, and runs cartridges)

That seems great, exactly what I want. Being like this, I'm buying it. Bring it on, Nintendo!

I'm just worried by this 32gb cartridge thing. Games that big would make any storage seem small. They could fight it allowing regular SD cards since you can get them pretty cheap. Anyway, it isn't a deal breaker for me since I prefer physical media.

Around the Network

Euro Game, IGN, MCV, and Wall Street Journal are all confirming this, this seems just like the PS4 Neo and Scorpio leaks.

Oh well Nintendo. A leak was bound to happen, can't keep something secret for almost 2 freaking years.

Barozi said:
I see a huge problem when it comes to the games' sizes and portable gaming.

This thing clearly won't have a 3.5" HDD and a 2.5" HDD sounds unlikely as well. So how the hell are you supposed to fit multiple digital games on that thing when you're on the go? Sounds like cartridges is the only way to go then. Unless you want to pay 350€ for a 512GB sd card.

This is the first thing I thought.

The Nvidia Shield Console does have a 2.5 HDD option I believe.

Soundwave said:

If it can sell 15-20 million in Japan, it will get a ton of Japanese support and all Nintendo support concentrated on one platform plus probably Android apps and lots of indie games.

That's enough software support.

Nintendo is never going to win with the Western "dudebros" crowd, they are set with Sony or Microsoft and that's that, the only way they would get this audience's attention is with an 8 TFLOP machine, which would be the size of a PC and a power brick the size of the Wii U console with a $600 price point. 

They'd have to go to ridiculous extremes, they are not getting the GTA/Calladooty crowd, too late for that, the GameCube era basically decided that. Once MS decided they had nothing better to do than to waddle into another industry and just basically take up space like a fat soccer mom in an elevator, there wasn't room left for Nintendo to engage that same market. 

Nintendo maaaaybe had a window of oppurtunity if it was just the PS4 and XB1, but now with Neo/Scorpio clogging up the market, nope. This direction will work better for them at least this is something different and it can dominate the Japanese market and do OK in the West/Europe. 

I'd like to know what these dudebro audience is. Are they guys who wear caps and drink mountain dew? I don't quite get it as I've never been to the US.

Anyways this audience is definitely more hardcore and have better tastes than Android and iOS only gamers, and are more likely to spend money on buying games rather than downloading free apps and games and pirating paid apps. Nintendo's games probably wouldn't sell to the vast majority of gamers on NX if they are targetting the smartphone audience, who usually play free games and where games don't cost more than $10.

NX might do well but mostly due to the 3DS and Wii U audience buying it, something like 60 million units, which would be a lot, but it will probably sell more than that. But targetting the smartphone audience over console gamers is not a good idea and having Android games is not a system seller as most of them are crap and already available on smartphones that most people have.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
Soundwave said:

If it can sell 15-20 million in Japan, it will get a ton of Japanese support and all Nintendo support concentrated on one platform plus probably Android apps and lots of indie games.

Nintendo is never going to win with the Western "dudebros" crowd, they are set with Sony or Microsoft and that's that, the only way they would get this audience's attention is with an 8 TFLOP machine, which would be the size of a PC and a power brick the size of the Wii U console with a $600 price point. 

They'd have to go to ridiculous extremes, they are not getting the GTA/Calladooty crowd, too late for that, the GameCube era basically decided that. Once MS decided they had nothing better to do than to waddle into another industry and just basically take up space like a fat soccer mom in an elevator, there wasn't room left for Nintendo to engage that same market. 

Nintendo maaaaybe had a window of oppurtunity if it was just the PS4 and XB1, but now with Neo/Scorpio clogging up the market, nope. This direction will work better for them at least this is something different and it can dominate the Japanese market and do OK in the West/Europe. 

I'd like to know what these dudebro audience is. Are they guys who wear caps and drink mountain dew? I don't quite get it as I've never been to the US.

Anyways this audience is definitely more hardcore and have better tastes than Android and iOS only gamers, and are more likely to spend money on buying games rather than downloading free apps and games and pirating paid apps. Nintendo's games probably wouldn't sell to the vast majority of gamers on NX if they are targetting the smartphone audience, who usually play free games and where games don't cost more than $10.

NX might do well but mostly due to the 3DS and Wii U audience buying it, something like 60 million units, which would be a lot, but it will probably sell more than that. But targetting the smartphone audience over console gamers is not a good idea and having Android games is not a system seller as most of them are crap and already available on smartphones that most people have.

It's the feature proposition too. If Nintendo uses a forked Android version, they have access to thousands of functionality apps from Facebook to Snapchat to Twitter to Video Players, Music Players, art apps, map apps, travel apps, on top of games that they can make money off of. 

The system will feel far more robust with Android app support and there's a better chance kids could make it their go to portable device over a vanilla tablet that doesn't have regular Nintendo games.

JWeinCom said:
jason1637 said:

Pokken is relevant because it show that people are interested in playin pokemon on a home system.

Those people would want an NX because of the games and its on the go feature

Nitendo isnt combinin two products. This is a new product with new games that can be used on aTV and on the.

The 3DS, which is now $80 dollars for its cheapest model, is tracking at less than half of what the DS did.  Again, what makes you think that the casual audience cares about playing Nintendo's games on the go? Because they have been showing with their dollars for the past 5 years that they don't.

Casual games like Tomadachi life/ Animal Crossing have been huge this genertation. Yes the 3DS have sold far less than the DS but that doesnt mean that they arent interested in Nintendo anymore. Look at the GC that sold around 20ml and the Wii that sold 100ml. The GBA GBA sold around 80ml and the DS sold 150ml. Nintendo can still gain back the casuals just like they did in the 7th generation.

Soundwave said:
GOWTLOZ said:

It's the feature proposition too. If Nintendo uses a forked Android version, they have access to thousands of functionality apps from Facebook to Snapchat to Twitter to Video Players, Music Players, art apps, map apps, travel apps, on top of games that they can make money off of. 

The system will feel far more robust with Android app support and there's a better chance kids could make it their go to portable device over a vanilla tablet that doesn't have regular Nintendo games.

That is a very useful feature but unless it has phone functionality I don't think the travel apps and portability would be used.

Kids don't care about Nintendo games, they care about any game that looks fun to them and smartphones have plenty of them and kids don't know any better. These games on smartphones are free or far cheaper and have small sizes so they can be easily downloaded. Nintendo will have to rethink the pricing strategy for their own games and also entice smartphone owners to buy their hardware.

I do think it can outsell 3DS in Japan but elsewhere it will not appeal to as many people.

GOWTLOZ said:
Soundwave said:

white.  born into privilege so they have money but the didn't earn it (yet).  unsubstantiated sense of self importance.  high school to college aged.  like to party.

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

GOWTLOZ said:
Soundwave said:

That is a very useful feature but unless it has phone functionality I don't think the travel apps and portability would be used.

Kids don't care about Nintendo games, they care about any game that looks fun to them and smartphones have plenty of them and kids don't know any better. These games on smartphones are free or far cheaper and have small sizes so they can be easily downloaded. Nintendo will have to rethink the pricing strategy for their own games and also entice smartphone owners to buy their hardware.

I do think it can outsell 3DS in Japan but elsewhere it will not appeal to as many people.

I wouldn't rule out 3G/4G LTE functionality actually. I think the ability to run Android apps is going to be a central feature of NX. 

I think Nintendo has basically chosen with Android/apps if you can't beat 'em ... join 'em and NX will run all the smartphone apps that kids love, and Nintendo can make money off those apps (30% cut of all revenue).

It's also a fail safe I think in case traditional 3rd parties ditch the NX ... fine ... Nintendo will then just make money off the mobile games being downloaded/played on NX.