By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rank the 98+ club (Metacritic)

Which one is your favourite?

OoT 160 58.82%

THPS2 22 8.09%

SC 19 6.99%

GTAIV 30 11.03%

I haven't played all of these games 23 8.46%

I haven't played any of these games 18 6.62%

Total:272
Nautilus said:
Harkins1721 said:

OoT doesnt deserve the 99 either.

That is a opinion I strongly disagree with then.If it were me, I would have awarded it 100, but 99 is good enough!

I would personally say OoT is a very strong 98.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Nautilus said:

That is a opinion I strongly disagree with then.If it were me, I would have awarded it 100, but 99 is good enough!

What say we settle at 98.5? XD

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Azuren said:

What say we settle at 98.5? XD

A very strong 98 would be a 98.8-98.9, lol. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

RolStoppable said:
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Soul Calibur
3. THPS2
4. GTA IV

No surprise that OoT is winning the poll by such a margin, because it is by far the most ambitious and influential game of the bunch.

I think this summarises everything quite perfectly.

Nautilus said:
Harkins1721 said:

I played it back when it first game out. Played the 3DS version last year. It has flaws. Love Zelda franchise. Love OoT but 99 is far to high for this game.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Teeqoz said:

I believe that people's issue with the scores are that they were inflated to begin with, not that they have become inflated over time.

I cant say for the other 3, but for Zelda thats just merely their opinion, not a fact.For me it is easilydeserving of that score, and aparently for the reviewers.Heck, even by todays standard it would be that far off, easily staying in the 90s.

Uhm... Of course it's "merely" an opinion. Do you think what you're saying is a fact?

Honestly, not a very big fan of either game. OoT is my least favorite Zelda game (crazy huh?) but it would probably be my pick. Not really a fan of fighting games outside of SF2 Alpha and Smash, GTA lost me after the two first ones and Tony Hawk is what it is.

Machina said:
think-man said:

OoT doesn't even deserve over 90. I have no idea why people harp on about this game, the controls were enough to make me rage quit. As for the other games i would put them in the 80's at best. GTA4 is probably my least favourite GTA game and is probably a good example of critics being paid for high scores.

Was gonna say I could've basically copy/pasted this post but I don't agree with the bolded because I believe that this is a very, very rare thing. It's only worthwhile for publishers to even consider doing this with the biggest media publications and even then it doesn't take the form of simple cash exchanges, it's rather stuff like expenses paid trips to some luxury hotel resort to play the game for the weekend, which is what Activision did/does with CoD, or the indirect pressure to deliver a good review in order to continue receiving early copies and preferential access at trade shows and so on. But like I said, I think it's quite rare and only happens with the very biggest publications if at all, certainly not all of those on Metacritic.

I think the GTA IV review debacle was an example of herding (in the political polling sense of the word, not the agricultural one); reviewers kind of converged around the view that it was the best thing since sliced bread because they'd fallen for their industry's own hyping of the game and then for reasons which will have varied from reviewer to reviewer they tried to kid themselves that it was amazing when actually it was a let-down.

Around GTA4 and Halo whatever that time, it was clearly the time of being paid for reviews.

Maybe not "directly" but completely money bought. Go to a website like IGN back in the time those games where reviewed and their entire page was filled with said games advertisements. That is a complete conflict of interest. If said site gives it a bad review, you can bet they will see less ad revenue in future.

It's like the whole accountants and Enron back in the day. Auditors would not give companies bad reports, becuase if they did, the companie would just fire them and hire someone else. That would mean the accounting firm would lose out on a million dollar contract. YOu as an accountatn going to go back to your firm and tell them you lost a billion dollar company because you told them their books didn't match perfectly. They woudl be pissed. 

Same for reviewers. You don't think their editors were like "hey why don't you raise this score by 1 or 2. We are getting thousands of dollars from this company in ad revenue. You wanna keep your job."

Nautilus said:
Harkins1721 said:

Yeah, I don't think it even deserves 100.

Ka-pi96 said:
Nautilus said:

So my remark is "sad" because I am of this opinion(and being in my right to say this in the way I want without really insulting anyone) but your isnt?

"This. Saying 'they were that good at the time' seems kind of silly especially since some people here even played them at that time."

A bit of double-satndard, dont you think?

I can fully understand when people dont like the game.I mean, i dont like GTA while most people do.And while everyone has the right to say whatever they want about the game, I personally feel silly for people to say that the game is overrated and shouldnt have had the 99 score when this is the ONLY game to receive such score.So this is the only game reviewers were more biased about?The same goes for the other 3 games.Never played them, and while I could potentially score them lower based on my experiences, the game must have done something right to have been awarded such scores.Being biased only goes so far.

How is anything I said a double standard?

And you're saying scores shouldn't be criticised because reviewers gave them? Review scores absolutely should be criticised. People have different ideas about what makes a game good or not and how well it should be rated. Just because it was the only game to receive a certain score doesn't mean people should just accept it. There's nothing wrong with some people feeling it should have scored lower (or higher). And there's no reason to try and devalue their opinion because they didn't play it at the right time or something. I'd expect the majority of people that like gaming enough to be on a site like this wouldn't particularly care that a game is old and would still rate it fairly. Besides, if a game ages poorly then I'd say that's further justification for calling it overrated.

And while I don't fully disagree with criticising people for comparing them to more recent games (as I said aging well is important too) it seems that people aren't really criticising that but instead assuming any negative opinion is because 'they didn't play the game at the right time' or whatever.

You saying that Im wrong for the remark I made, because I critized about people who didnt like the game the same I did, but you go on(or before, since you made that post before me) to criticize people that the reasoning that you should rate the games based when they released is silly.If my critic is "sad", or wrong to make in other words, how come yours isnt?Thats what I meant by double standards.

I never said that scores shouldnt be criticized.Scores are given by persons and just as ourselves, they are bound to eventually make mistakes, or not make a quality or objective review.And review is an opinion anyways, so its really subjective at the first place.What i said is that reviewers scores in general should be respected.One thing that people(again, in general) is that, while reviews scores should not be used as a definitive metric of wether you will enjoy the game or not, the reviewers are professionals.They are persons that dedicate their lives to the videogame industry.While I do agree that individual scores should be held with a certain level of skeptimism, agregate scores such as metacritic, for all the flaws the system has, should have some level of respect.After all, its the job of the reviewers review games, and while there are clickbait reviews here and there, the serious ones far outweight them.

Plus I find your reasoning about "if a game ages poorly, it means it was overrated at the first place" completely wrong.First because anything ages, from music to games to movies to any kind of product.Everything gets outdated, because the newer products are build upon the older ones.We wouldnt have the level of tecnological fidelity today if someone didnt pioneer things in the first place.So of course the older models, or older games will be outdated as the years passes.Thats why its silly to judge something by today standards.Secondly is that any game will be worse 10, 20 years after its release.Its obvious, since the modern games will take the best parts of the games that came before and build upon it and make it better.Any game ages, including even your favorite games.A game that was 90 in the past, may be 80 by nowadays metrics.So its not only unfair to make such assumptions, but also completely wrong.One thing that would be a good metric however, is how well the game has aged.Now that has merit.And OOT for me has aged really well.

Now to your last point, I agree with you.Criticizing someone because they think you didnt play the game the right way is stupid.I mean, the experiencing to playing the game when it launches and playing the same game 10 years later will of course be different, but if you keep thinking thats the reason someone didnt like the game, when the game was not their cup of tee at the first place is wrong.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1