By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo wants Zelda producer Aonuma to make a new IP

Can't wait to see what Aonuma can create!

Around the Network

Give Zelda to someone else and make something new! Too much creative talent being bogged down by old series at Nintendo.

Now that is really interesting. He truely deserves to do something else for a change after working so long on nothing but Zelda. I wonder if he uses this break in order to free himself from the gameplay mechanics of the Zelda games for once, especially the heavy emphasis on exploration and combat. Maybe he's going for something completely different now, something with much more storytelling or character development. But at the same time it could also be something small, but addictive. A game that's created around one specific gameplay mechanic. I think it could either be something completely unexpected (like a puzzle game for example) or something like an Action-Adventure which shares a lot of the philosophy he showed in his Zelda games, yet with a different theme and different approach. Whatever it will be, it will have his unique touch. But I think he has a tendency for ambiguity in his phrasing, so I think that it doesn't necessarily need to be a thief.

I wonder what kind of art style he will use. Will it be realistic? Will it have a focus on one specific effect like the glowing in TP? Will it be cell shaded? Man, so many thoughts.

Oh, and how I read that, it means that he's still going to produce Zelda games and this new IP should be some kind of side project.

That would be great. Aonuma has been working exclusively on the Zelda franchise for so long, it's about time he got to do something different. The game possibly being a new IP makes it even more interesting as that means he can go crazy and do whatever he wants (Nintendo will most certainly give him plenty of freedom given his track record and Breath of the Wild's fantastic reception).

Luke888 said:
AZWification said:

Majora's Mask was more of a Koizumi game and Twilight Princess was a response to all the criticism regarding Wind Waker's cel shaded artstyle. I don't think Aonuma would necessarily go for a very gritty realistic game.

but the Zelda team (while he could work with another team I doubt that would happen ) has always been the one that pushed the hardware to it's limits within Nintendo teams, also I'm shure that after 2 games with a cartoony feel to them there's plenty of people in the team who want to work on something more mature, you can tell that Aonuma himself wants to, otherwise he wouldn't have picked a Thief as the possible protagonist of said game, he clearly is bored of telling tales of a Hero defeating a demon, so he decided to work on a anti-hero !

I guess you're right. Still, I wouldn't mind a more mature game! Ninty kinda needs more of those.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

omg here for a new action-adventure IP by Nintendo 

Aonuma, his Metal Gear Solid is coming

"A Eiji Aonuma game"

Keybladewielder said:

"A Eiji Aonuma game"

Yooooooooo, could you immagine if Kojima Productions collaborated on this title ? I know Kojima never cared about Nintendo, but I'm shure he knows and respects Aonuma for his trackrecord, I'm shure that if the two were able to work together pacifically they could make a masterpiece...

Luke888 said:
Keybladewielder said:

"A Eiji Aonuma game"

Yooooooooo, could you immagine if Kojima Productions collaborated on this title ? I know Kojima never cared about Nintendo, but I'm shure he knows and respects Aonuma for his trackrecord, I'm shure that if the two were able to work together pacifically they could make a masterpiece...

What about an Aonuma partnership with Michel Ancel? He used stealth to great effect in...

Oh god. What if Aonuma and Ancel teamed up to make Beyond Good & Evil 2??

*dies from happiness*

That's cool and all but unless they found a replacement to do Zelda he doesn't have time for a new IP. Better off just letting him do Zelda and leaving the younger talent that haven't been giving a real chance yet make the new IPs.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Luke888 said:

What about an Aonuma partnership with Michel Ancel? He used stealth to great effect in...

Oh god. What if Aonuma and Ancel teamed up to make Beyond Good & Evil 2??

*dies from happiness*

That would be cool aswell ! I'm positive BG&E2 is sitting in a position where it'd LOVE to have the Zelda: BotW engine...