By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June 2016 NPD Results

Shadow1980 said:
I'm starting on my charts now. Before I finish and post them, is the +36% increase for the 3DS year-over-year, or over this pay May?

39%, not 36%.

...I think is MOM, cause if is YOY then 3DS should be something like +170k. That's just too high.

Around the Network
ExtremeBrawler said:
Aquamarine said:

Agreed, considering the time invested into Mirror's Edge: Catalyst. 100K for that result is horrible.

But an even weaker result for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE....man....I heard about that game back in early 2013. It's been in development for a WHILE and Nintendo had likely put a lot of development resources into it. A shame to see that....not really go anywhere.

Unfortunately, the current Wii U state severly damaged the game's potential, alongside the game's presentation style not thrilling enough for the userbase (especially as how they showed it from the re-unveiling...however I'd dare to say that, maybe, NoA did a better job at selling it compared to NoJ, even when factoring in the censorship. Bold statement, and I can perfectly be wrong, but it's an impression I got considering the game's Japanese launch as well). Metacritic's average is not that bad, 81 is good, I think it could've been actually worse if it weren't for that. I thought it would've been in the 50,000-to-75,000 gap, so around 50,000 (if your hint really pointed at that as another poster guessed) would be at the lower limit of my forecasted gap. Not such a good result for a game with this kind of development (however, they announced it without any resemblance of footage of it either, and the Atlus events before SEGA acquired them surely influenced the development time), but I'm not as "catastrophic" as you sound about its debut month. It could've been way worse. It would've surely been way worse if it launched before Mario Kart 8, that's for sure :P

Mario & Sonic did pretty bad. Yeah, the game is doing pretty well on 3DS in Japan and it was charting nicely in some European countries, and the Wii U version is doing decently in Japan, but both of them were failures in US. I wonder what's going to happen with the next iteration (if there's going to be another), maybe some major changes would be needed to the formula.

Also, let's see if I'm good at this:  I guess a range between 75,000 and 130,000 for Kirby and one between 60,000 to 120,000 for Minecraft Wii U. Are those good ranges, after all? :P

Sorry, you're not that good at guessing after all.

Kirby is #4 on the Top 10 list. It has to be higher than 130K, silly. Overwatch sold 423K! NBA 2K16 sold 160K! Uncharted 4 sold 160-190K including bundles! And then there's Doom and GTA V and Minecraft crowding in there as well. If Kirby can hit #4 then it did pretty damn well for itself.

Here's another hint on the range of success (Kirby) to failure (Mario & Sonic):

Kirby: Planet Robobot > Minecraft Wii U > Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE > Mario & Sonic: Rio Olympic Games

Soundwave said:
I'm a Nintendo fan who's on gaming sites daily and I still don't know what the fuck Tokyo Mirage Sessions is about exactly, lol. Like yeah I know Fire Emblem something, something. 

That game selling even 80k with that title would be good.

It is literally irrelevant whether or not it sold 50K or 75K or 40K....exact numbers that low aren't even super accurate anyway because of the inherent error within NPD numbers thanks to algorithm projections. What matters is the takeaways from its performance. And what we can conclude is that it's not a success because it debuted under 100K, but it's not an abject sales failure either given all the issues heavily working against it.

Allan-bh at NeoGAF, ~50K was an average of my lowest number (30K) and my highest number (80K). It's not the precise number because I'm not allowed to give out too many precise numbers.

Aquamarine said:
ExtremeBrawler said:

Unfortunately, the current Wii U state severly damaged the game's potential, alongside the game's presentation style not thrilling enough for the userbase (especially as how they showed it from the re-unveiling...however I'd dare to say that, maybe, NoA did a better job at selling it compared to NoJ, even when factoring in the censorship. Bold statement, and I can perfectly be wrong, but it's an impression I got considering the game's Japanese launch as well). Metacritic's average is not that bad, 81 is good, I think it could've been actually worse if it weren't for that. I thought it would've been in the 50,000-to-75,000 gap, so around 50,000 (if your hint really pointed at that as another poster guessed) would be at the lower limit of my forecasted gap. Not such a good result for a game with this kind of development (however, they announced it without any resemblance of footage of it either, and the Atlus events before SEGA acquired them surely influenced the development time), but I'm not as "catastrophic" as you sound about its debut month. It could've been way worse. It would've surely been way worse if it launched before Mario Kart 8, that's for sure :P

Mario & Sonic did pretty bad. Yeah, the game is doing pretty well on 3DS in Japan and it was charting nicely in some European countries, and the Wii U version is doing decently in Japan, but both of them were failures in US. I wonder what's going to happen with the next iteration (if there's going to be another), maybe some major changes would be needed to the formula.

Also, let's see if I'm good at this:  I guess a range between 75,000 and 130,000 for Kirby and one between 60,000 to 120,000 for Minecraft Wii U. Are those good ranges, after all? :P

Sorry, you're not that good at guessing after all.

Kirby is #4 on the Top 10 list. It has to be higher than 130K, silly. Overwatch sold 423K! NBA 2K16 sold 160K! Uncharted 4 sold 160-190K including bundles! And then there's Doom and GTA V and Minecraft crowding in there as well. If Kirby can hit #4 then it did pretty damn well for itself.

Here's another hint on the range of success (Kirby) to failure (Mario & Sonic):

Kirby: Planet Robobot > Minecraft Wii U > Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE > Mario & Sonic: Rio Olympic Games

Soundwave said:
I'm a Nintendo fan who's on gaming sites daily and I still don't know what the fuck Tokyo Mirage Sessions is about exactly, lol. Like yeah I know Fire Emblem something, something. 

That game selling even 80k with that title would be good.

It is literally irrelevant whether or not it sold 50K or 75K or 40K....exact numbers that low aren't even super accurate anyway because of the inherent error within NPD numbers thanks to algorithm projections. What matters is the takeaways from its performance. And what we can conclude is that it's not a success because it debuted under 100K, but it's not an abject sales failure either given all the issues heavily working against it.

Oh well, I quite underestimated Kirby, then. If that's correct, it basically did at least as much as Kirby Triple Deluxe's first two months. Or better, it did as much as what its predecessor did in 4 weeks + 2 days (that was what tracked for its first month), quite consistent then :P

Aquamarine said:

Wish more people would understand this. 

The numbers don't matter too much, it's what they mean that matters. 

Anyway, OP has been updated. I'm not as good at this as Boutros. Sorry about that. 

Aqua, let me know if you want me to change anything in the OP. 

Around the Network

Zhuge, you should say in the OP that of those 5 million of Smash Bros, over 3 million are for 3DS and over 2 million for Wii U.

Ryng_Tolu said:
Zhuge, you should say in the OP that of those 5 million of Smash Bros, over 3 million are for 3DS and over 2 million for Wii U.

Smash Bros U passed 2m a number of months ago in standalone sales.

ZhugeEX said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Smash Bros U passed 2m a number of months ago in standalone sales.

Just saw it, yeah.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198129813&postcount=1254

Well Nintendo said over 2 million... but looks like is way over that, expecially including digital.

Thanks for the numbers Aqua! If possible, could we get an update on Halo 5?

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

No surprise. PS4 will sell better for at least 11 months this year ...maybe all 12. It has July and Aug easily.