By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rare Replay vs. NES Mini

Decide!

Rare Replay! 38 25.33%

NES Mini! 81 54.00%

Both rock, I can't choose! 24 16.00%

See results 7 4.67%

Total:150

I'll take Nes mini, because it's a device with 30 games on it, while Rare Replay is only $20..however you can buy Xbox One 500GB bundle which comes with Rare Replay for $280.

Edit: Oh yeah, out of topic(maybe).

Around the Network

I'd probably have to say Rare Replay, mainly cause a good chunk of those NES games have not aged too well.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Both are great. To be honest, I might pick them both up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Especially considering the NES mini will cost 2-3 times as much as Rare Replay does and they're all games that you could emulate perfectly on a PC from 1998 and includes no extras for anything. Rare Replay has hours and hours of special bonus features and content plus customization and updates for controls, achievements, etc. Sure, you have to have an Xbox One to play it, but it's much more worth the investment than a little emulator box with limited game selection for $60.

I'll have to go with the NES Mini if I were to only pick one. Why? The NES was a defining console backed by what are now classic Nintendo franchises and then some. For someone who's not a gamer, the NES Mini is a great hands-on experience for that slice of major gaming history. And if you're a gamer, how can you not love this piece of hardware with so many classic and defining games in one box? The only really issue when it comes to choosing one over the other is which games you want to play that you've missed out on. It's a conventional way to choose a console. But with this NES Mini, it's just not about the game selection. It's also iconic.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Slarvax said:
Rare Replay holds better value (Longer games, multiple generations, 2D and 3D games, wider range if genres, etc), but the NES Mini library is objectively better.

If you already have an XBO, Rare Replay is better. If you don't have most of the NES games on a VC, NES Mini is better. I may be biased, but just for the fact that the NES Mini is a system with 30 games rather than a disc with 30 games, I'll say NES Mini is better.

I think you've misunderstood the meaning of "objectively"

I know the difference between objective and subjective.

There are many more recognizable, generally praised games on the NES collection. We can argue all the way trhough the thread, but there are more timeless classics on the NES Mini than on Rare Replay.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Teeqoz said:

I think you've misunderstood the meaning of "objectively"

I know the difference between objective and subjective.

There are many more recognizable, generally praised games on the NES collection. We can argue all the way trhough the thread, but there are more timeless classics on the NES Mini than on Rare Replay.

Doesn't make it objectively better. There are several timeless classics that I don't enjoy, and there are several games that aren't very recognized and generally praised that I prefer to most timeless classics.

The only good game Rare made (imo) was GoldenEye so I'd go with the NES Mini

StarOcean said:
The only good game Rare made (imo) was GoldenEye so I'd go with the NES Mini

The NES mini because its a diverse lineup from almost every japanese devoloper, Castlevania alone is better for me.