By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Sony or MS capable of creating a cultural phenomenon like Pokemon Go?

Are they?

No, only Nintendo with Pokemon. 328 78.47%

Yes, Sony with __________. 61 14.59%

Yes, Microsoft with____________. 29 6.94%

Total:418

They probably can't. Since Microsoft and Sony focusing on the adult demographic while nintendo is focusing mainly to kids and everyone.Nintendo is like Disney, their franchise are huge while Sony is like Warner Bros and Microsoft is probably Universal.

Now as far as Pokemon. I still can't believe that people still giving all the credits to Nintendo for Pokemon GO.... Yes, i enjoyed the game greatly. But you guys should put the credits to all, not just Nintendo.
What about Nantic and Google ? Have you ever heard of them ? Or why i mention them ? Look it up guys. Let's be informative about this.

Around the Network

LOLOLOL!!! Anyone here that actually thinks yes should probably reevaluate.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Uabit said:
Sony did with the first two PS.

Not even close.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

kyprime said:
Goodnightmoon said:
With their current Ips? Not even remotely close.

maybe not with their IPs, but they have a little thing called 3rd party, GTAV, COD BO3, nuff said, destroys everything nintendo

The fact that you even listed COD and GTA shows that you don't understand what's going on here. They aren't even in the same league as Pokemon. Lol.

ohmylanta1003 said:
kyprime said:

maybe not with their IPs, but they have a little thing called 3rd party, GTAV, COD BO3, nuff said, destroys everything nintendo

The fact that you even listed COD and GTA shows that you don't understand what's going on here. They aren't even in the same league as Pokemon. Lol.

As I said earlier.  Bro gamers. An entire subculture was created.  That's bigger than this.

Around the Network
Ataraxias said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

As I said earlier.  Bro gamers. An entire subculture was created.  That's bigger than this.

Bro gamers is not as big as Pokemon imo. While it was interesting when created...or made popular I should say.....it is nowhere near as big as Pokemon.....Mario as a gaming character yeah. And outside of that maybe Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse for non gaming but Bro gamers nah....

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
Ataraxias said:

Bro gamers is not as big as Pokemon imo. While it was interesting when created...or made popular I should say.....it is nowhere near as big as Pokemon.....Mario as a gaming character yeah. And outside of that maybe Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse for non gaming but Bro gamers nah....

If they had been a fad that faded I would agree.  But they didn't and now they're a integral part of market.    Games like CoD, Destiny, Assassin's Creed, Madden etc would have half the sales if the bro gamer culture hadn't been cultivated with marketing blitzs like Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel 

ohmylanta1003 said:
kyprime said:

I think you don't understand GTA V. You do realize it sold upwards of 50 million copies right? Pokemon Go is absolutely massive and awesome and all that, but you are not giving GTA V its due credit.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

I think you don't understand GTA V. You do realize it sold upwards of 50 million copies right? Pokemon Go is absolutely massive and awesome and all that, but you are not giving GTA V its due credit.

I think it depends. Do you remember a time people outside the gaming industry talking about GTA V in ways that we've heard about Pokemon or even Mario? As Soundwave said, cultural phenomenons are things that transcend beyond their traditional bounds within their subjects. I've made a recent example for Mario and Pokemon Go is becoming one itself. So what has GTA V done to go beyond the gaming industry? Just an honest question. i guess you could say it still challenged public disdain for what should be made in video games due to its controversial nature but is that enough?

Ataraxias said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

If they had been a fad that faded I would agree.  But they didn't and now they're a integral part of market.    Games like CoD, Destiny, Assassin's Creed, Madden etc would have half the sales if the bro gamer culture hadn't been cultivated with marketing blitzs like Mountain Dew Gamer Fuel 

I agree BUT they are still not as big as Pokemon, Mario, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse....stuff like that......I think that is the point that was being made.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23