By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo having all their games available everywhere a better business than restricting them to a console?

Could Nintendo make more money by having their software everywhere?

Yes 171 42.86%

No 188 47.12%

I have no idea. 40 10.03%

Total:399
TheLastStarFighter said:
As pointed out by those saying Nintendo loses 30% of Pokemon Go money to Apple, there is a great value in being a platform holder. If Nintendo is smart, they'll use mobile to push titles like Go (cheap, social) to as many users as possible. These titles would then be used to push consumers to their hardware platforms and core titles. Core consumers are fewer, but consume far more software. A perfect world for Nintendo would have mobile revenue, hardware revenue, 1st party software revenue and royalty revenue from third parties on their platforms. There's no reason for them not to strive for this.

The problem is I'm not really sure this will happen. 

I think it's just as likely that a person says "well I already have Pokemon Go on my iPhone that I play every day! I don't need to buy a 3DS/NX/whatever for Pokemon". 

The other kinda eye opening thing about Pokemon Go's success is its not being used for like 5 minutes every 2 days or something, it's something a lot of users are using constantly on their phone on a daily basis. And it kinda has to be that way, because all the successful apps generally have users using it daily. You have to hook the player to keep that sweet, sweet microtransaction money coming in. 

But if these players are already spending a good amount of time consuming Nintendo apps on their phone ... I'm not sure that really makes the proposition of "well now you need to buy our $200-$300 console/portable with $50 games too, mmmmk?" really that appealling. I'm sure some spill over will happen, I'm just not sure if it's something Nintendo can rely on. 

Nintendo may just have to accept that mobile is their no.1 profit driver in the future. 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
oniyide said:

Crash and Spyro got crap developers, but we are supposedly gettng a remake to Crash by ND so we will see. Why did you bring up PS4 and the One? I didnt mention those consoles. Why assume? 

Are they really making more money? Cause Wii U wasnt making any for a while

Even still, they'd be making even less money without the Wii U.

And I assumed because just about every game that looks like it came from a Nintendo system sold poorly on those consoles, particularly when compared to the millions of copies sold by annual third party games like Assassin's Creed, GTA or COD.

In fact, the unbelievable sales of those three franchises are probably what started the stupid idea of Nintendo going third party, which won't work because of the success of GTA, COD or AC. Nintendo would get swept under the rug faster than Sega and Atari combined.

How can you know that for sure?

Maybe its just those are in games now they are the most popular. Has Ninty been putting out games themselves that do numbers as big as GTA or COD on a CONSISTENT basis? keep in mind the latter is annual. I would gather no. Maybe and this might be crazy, we just have to accept that thos games that look like they came from Nintendo just arent that popular on home consoles anymore and they do better on things like mobile where the people who enjoy them are already on. PokemonGo and all.

I think the idea of Ninty going 3rd party had more to do with their systems flopping (home consles) than anything else. At least thats how I look at it.

TheLastStarFighter said:
As pointed out by those saying Nintendo loses 30% of Pokemon Go money to Apple, there is a great value in being a platform holder. If Nintendo is smart, they'll use mobile to push titles like Go (cheap, social) to as many users as possible. These titles would then be used to push consumers to their hardware platforms and core titles. Core consumers are fewer, but consume far more software. A perfect world for Nintendo would have mobile revenue, hardware revenue, 1st party software revenue and royalty revenue from third parties on their platforms. There's no reason for them not to strive for this.

much easier said than done especially on the 3rd party front.

Nintendo just wouldn't be Nintendo anymore if they stopped making consoles.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Scharfek said:
oniyide said:

ok fine. Ill concede Shovel Knight and Sonic... they got it. Now with that being said what has that done for the system as a whole

Not much. Wii U is a commercial disaster. I was trying to say that, if Nintendo went third party on PC/XBO/PS4, their games wouldn't sell much more than they do right now, because family-friendly titles aren't very popular on these platforms.

I need to make this clear cause i dont think i was. I at no point said anything about Ninty going 3rd party and making games for PC/XBO/PS4. I dont care if they did that either way. I got more than enough to play just on PS4. I imagine if they can no longer keep making home consoles, they would just go mobile and handheld. They would probably burn their building down before they make games for the other 3

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Scharfek said:

Not much. Wii U is a commercial disaster. I was trying to say that, if Nintendo went third party on PC/XBO/PS4, their games wouldn't sell much more than they do right now, because family-friendly titles aren't very popular on these platforms.

Neither are games acquired from Nintendo by Microsoft. That's what cause many pre-Microsoft Rare games to fail on Xbox (poorly integrated vehicle sections notwithstanding). And even when new family-friendly looking games came to Xbox (like Grabbed by The Ghoulies or Viva Pinata), they either bombed horribly or tragically faded out.

And then there's the PS4, with it's severe lack of family friendly games. Seriously, it's a miracle we got another Ratchet & Clank, and Knack was a huge disappointment (critically and financially). Even before then the Jak games were pretty much nothing until Jak II made them more mature and gritty. Ratchet & Clank's newest outing (which was rated E10) hasn't sold as well, while the previous games, which were primarily for teenagers, sold fantastically.

Maybe after reading this you'll realize that family friendly games don't sell on PlayStation or Xbox, so putting Nintendo games on those systems would do nothing.

the indie stores say hi

Cloudman said:
oniyide said:

They dont have to go 3rd party. They can just make handhelds and stuff like Pokemon Go which seems to rake in most of the cash anyway. People keep bringing up Wii like thats Ninty's norm its not. Its there best selling console and thats still less a few other popular consoles. Why should Ninty burden themselves making weird home consoles in the small hope to get that Wii success?

Yeah, they can just stick to handhelds if things get worse for them, but why should they stop making consoles? They made 2 bad consoles at most. That's no reason to just suddenly quit doing it. My point of mentioning the Wii is just a plus side on why they should stick to making consoles. If they can get back to having success with their consoles, why quit? Also, it's Nintendo's experimenting that brought them the big success of the DS and Wii, so that's why they keep experimenting, seeing what works and doesn't work. It's not just about them making games, but how to make the most enjoyable and creative ones.

it was 3 bad consoles. 4 if we are counting virtual boy. Experimentaion is 50/50 dont ignore Wii U thats what happens when it doesnt work. And it is far more likely to not work. What can Ninty make that is equilavent to Wii? The other two can put out basic systems with no gimmick hook and sell just as well and sometimes better. Ninty doesnt seem to have that luxury. IMHO it seems most gamers simply dont want a Ninty console at least not in large numbers they are almost niche at this point.

CaptainExplosion said:
oniyide said:

How can you know that for sure?

Maybe its just those are in games now they are the most popular. Has Ninty been putting out games themselves that do numbers as big as GTA or COD on a CONSISTENT basis? keep in mind the latter is annual. I would gather no. Maybe and this might be crazy, we just have to accept that thos games that look like they came from Nintendo just arent that popular on home consoles anymore and they do better on things like mobile where the people who enjoy them are already on. PokemonGo and all.

I think the idea of Ninty going 3rd party had more to do with their systems flopping (home consles) than anything else. At least thats how I look at it.

Then fuck the industry as a whole.

That's pretty bitter, but that is your opinion and I respect it.

Another problem with the console market I think is that huge display HDTVs have become the norm now and people expect graphics like Uncharted as the benchmark.

It's not like the 80s/90s/2000s anymore where the majority of households still had a 20-27-inch fat tube TV with SD resolution.

Because of the HD revolution, what people expect from games has changed, the home console is now known for big budget, spectacular (and violent) action games or realistic sports sims with high end graphics, neither or which Nintendo does very well.

"Mid-tier" and "entry tier" gaming and "cartoony" games now find their home on Nintendo portables and mainly smartphones though they still have a niche on home console thanks to indies.

It's kind of like how the movie business has changed ... today everything has to be a franchise (preferably a comic book one). The "mid-tier" blockbuster that was largely driven by movie stars like Julia Roberts and Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks with no special effects (Pretty Woman, Rain Man, Forrest Gump) have virtually evaporated from mainstream Hollywood in favor of big budget CGI "event" movies or kids CGI movies. There used to be a balance, but not anymore.

oniyide said:
Cloudman said:

Yeah, they can just stick to handhelds if things get worse for them, but why should they stop making consoles? They made 2 bad consoles at most. That's no reason to just suddenly quit doing it. My point of mentioning the Wii is just a plus side on why they should stick to making consoles. If they can get back to having success with their consoles, why quit? Also, it's Nintendo's experimenting that brought them the big success of the DS and Wii, so that's why they keep experimenting, seeing what works and doesn't work. It's not just about them making games, but how to make the most enjoyable and creative ones.

it was 3 bad consoles. 4 if we are counting virtual boy. Experimentaion is 50/50 dont ignore Wii U thats what happens when it doesnt work. And it is far more likely to not work. What can Ninty make that is equilavent to Wii? The other two can put out basic systems with no gimmick hook and sell just as well and sometimes better. Ninty doesnt seem to have that luxury. IMHO it seems most gamers simply dont want a Ninty console at least not in large numbers they are almost niche at this point.

What other consoles were bad? I just meant the Wii U and Virtual Boy. As far as I can remember, all of their consoles have been good ones. As to what Nintendo can do that would be equilavent to the Wii, well I don't know. Nintendo works to find new those new ideas that work. People don't know what they want until they are presented it. No one was expecting the Wii to be a success, and maybe they'll make something else that people will really like. We won't know until the next big thing releases.

Really though I think people would be already with a Ninten console if it's a good console with games they want.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread