By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo having all their games available everywhere a better business than restricting them to a console?

Could Nintendo make more money by having their software everywhere?

Yes 171 42.86%

No 188 47.12%

I have no idea. 40 10.03%

Total:399
Kai_Mao said:
oniyide said:

Rayman Legends says hi

Didn't Legends still sell better on Wii U?

edit: Nvm, it did...960,000 to about 700,000. 

nope. PS4 and 3 version sold better

Around the Network
160rmf said:
oniyide said:

Rayman Legends says hi

Bravo! You got one game that not even reached 1 million on a installbase that's 4x bigger than Wii U, while the Wii U version is 300k below.

it was response to the one game he mentioned, funny you didnt respond to that

oniyide said:
160rmf said:

Bravo! You got one game that not even reached 1 million on a installbase that's 4x bigger than Wii U, while the Wii U version is 300k below.

I didn't bring Rayman Legends to the discussion. You did.

I mentioned Shovel Knight and Sonic...

CaptainExplosion said:
Wyrdness said:

Sadly most people won't understand this due to the mainstream platforms being driven mainly by third party software and not first party, this is why Nintendo makes hardware that suits their own needs first as their first party has always been the main draw for them, Sega is a prime example of why the whole third party example just falls flat as people think it'll be the same level of output but on another platform but that's never the case.

Which is stupid. When I got a Wii U and Xbox One I didn't care that either of them would get the next Lego games, Disney Infinity or Assassin's Creed to name a few. I got them because of first-party Nintendo games, and when I heard about the new Killer Instinct.

If third party software is what's driving mainstream platforms, then having new game consoles is outright pointless. This industry really is going to hell. -_-

It's going to hell becaue its not the way you want it to be? Its pretty much been this way since probably the original PS why the outrage now. IMHO since this is the way it is I wonder why Ninty even bothers making home consoles.

Scharfek said:
oniyide said:

Rayman Legends says hi

Source (I'm not talking about VGC numbers)?

For the games I mentioned, there is NPD data on Sonic Racing Transformed and Yacht Club Games confirmed Shovel Knight numbers.

Even if Rayman sold slight better on a non-Nintendo platform, it's certain that the biggest audience for family-friendly games is on the 3DS.

why limit to NPD when it only covers America?

3DS? sure i guess. not sure what good thats really doing as most of that audience is on mobile devices anyway.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
I guess it really depends. If their hardware continues to sell poorly (even worse than the Wii U) then going third party may be the only option they have left, although the 3DS has done rather well, so that isn't a necessary option yet. With the Wii being a really big success, that made them a lot of money. So perhaps the profits made from hardware sold is more worthwhile than trying to branch out to every device possible.

There's way too many things to consider, most of which I don't know, to simply say "One option is better than the other"

They dont have to go 3rd party. They can just make handhelds and stuff like Pokemon Go which seems to rake in most of the cash anyway. People keep bringing up Wii like thats Ninty's norm its not. Its there best selling console and thats still less a few other popular consoles. Why should Ninty burden themselves making weird home consoles in the small hope to get that Wii success?

What's their definition of a successful console? Selling how many consoles? Profits? How much would the need to sell to make it successful?

There are as many cons as there are pros to going third party and history has not always been good to those who have faltered. While Atari and Sega certainly don't have the IPs Nintendo has, Nintendo integrates their hardware and software like they're bread and butter in ways no other console manufacturer can do. Plus, can we really say that IPs such as Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, etc. would've been more successful as multiplat? Considering the genre it's in, I'm not sure Splatoon would've survived on a platform with CoD, Battlefield, Halo, etc. competing directly against it. Plus, the free online and the motion controls and touch screen via game pad have apparently made the experience more intuitive for players. Thus, multiplats doesn't guarantee success or higher profitssince they lose the 1st party royalties.

Scharfek said:
oniyide said:

ok fine. Ill concede Shovel Knight and Sonic... they got it. Now with that being said what has that done for the system as a whole

CaptainExplosion said:
oniyide said:

It's going to hell becaue its not the way you want it to be? Its pretty much been this way since probably the original PS why the outrage now. IMHO since this is the way it is I wonder why Ninty even bothers making home consoles.

Because they make more money this way, and we have games on those systems not available anywhere else.

Honestly, who would want to buy a Nintendo game on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One? Don't you people remember what happened to Crash and Spyro? Fewer and fewer people wanted those games overtime after they went third party. Now they're reduced to remasters and Skylanders.

Crash and Spyro got crap developers, but we are supposedly gettng a remake to Crash by ND so we will see. Why did you bring up PS4 and the One? I didnt mention those consoles. Why assume? 

Are they really making more money? Cause Wii U wasnt making any for a while

oniyide said:
Scharfek said:

ok fine. Ill concede Shovel Knight and Sonic... they got it. Now with that being said what has that done for the system as a whole

Not much. Wii U is a commercial disaster. I was trying to say that, if Nintendo went third party on PC/XBO/PS4, their games wouldn't sell much more than they do right now, because family-friendly titles aren't very popular on these platforms.