By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo having all their games available everywhere a better business than restricting them to a console?

Could Nintendo make more money by having their software everywhere?

Yes 171 42.86%

No 188 47.12%

I have no idea. 40 10.03%

Total:399

I'm not sure how people can believe that if Nintendo had two WiiU Esque failures in a row they would continue regardless. They're reputation in the home console market has already plummeted, follow that up with another failure and they'll be the laughing stock of the industry. It would be incredible dumb for them not to change business strategy after 8+ years of failing in the home console market. Don't let your own attachment to Nintendo's devices affect your judgement.

Around the Network

Having specific mobile titles is smart for Nintendo, but people don't only speak negative about Nintendo's hardware, they call their games kiddie, to colorful, and the same old franchises they always do. So if these games were suddenly available on Playstation and Xbox what would change Nintendo games from being this? Nothing, so they are better off just making their own hardware and putting mobile specific titles on that platform. Win/win for Nintendo!

Barkley said:
I'm not sure how people can believe that if Nintendo had two WiiU Esque failures in a row they would continue regardless. They're reputation in the home console market has already plummeted, follow that up with another failure and they'll be the laughing stock of the industry.

It would be incredible dumb for them not to change business strategy after 8+ years of failing in the home console market. Don't let your own attachment to Nintendo's devices affect your judgement.

Fact is that even with Wii U Nintendo is making money, I would understand if Nintendo is bleeding money this gen because Wii U and if they have another that situation in row they would most likely consider (just consider not doing that) extisting hardware market.

And they already changed their strategy because of Wii U, but that strategie doesnt include existing hardware, they actually expanding value of their IPs (Amiibos, mobile games, themed parks, movies...) in order that market be much aware of Nintendo IP that will affect in much more interest in Nintendo dedicated platforms. 

Also we can agree that NX will definitely more successful than Wii U, so if Nintendo doesn't consider existing hardware market after Wii U they will not consider with more successful product. Nintendo is were aware where their true strength lies, and that is to be presenton  hardware and software market.

the point of Nintendo having his own hardware, is the same point for any manufacturers/Os developpers. Selling content. Selling games, apps, videos, music etc.

The problem with Nintendo, is that nowadays, their hardware only help sold their own content, third party content are not selling very well, even on the 3DS, the numbers had a huge fall down.

So yes, if the point is only selling your content, why keep making hardware?

Considering Nintendo generates by far most of their revenue from hardware sales, and a substantial amount licensing expenses, I am going to have to disagree.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Considering Nintendo generates by far most of their revenue from hardware sales, and a substantial amount licensing expenses, I am going to have to disagree.

Profit is more important than Revenue, Console hardware has horrendous profit margins in relation to software. Also you might be surprised...

2015:

Home Console Hardware Revenue - $879 Million

Handheld Console Hardware Revenue - $1.24 Billion

Total Hardware Revenue -  $2.12 Billion

Home Console Software Revenue - $706 Million

Handheld Console Software Revenue - $1.25 Billion

Total Software Revenue - $1.96 Billion

Not "by far" at all. There's no doubt software makes more profit for nintendo many many MANY times over.

During an era where they make traditional games on traditional consoles, sure. During a Wii/DS era where their unique software is based on unique hardware that they sell for a profit, then no.

I'm not against Nintendo going third party but I still think they have unique ideas and user experience to offer which will serve better as a dedicated system. Hopefully they prove me right with NX.

Miyamotoo said:

That point most people dont realise that want "Nintendo games on PS4". Reason why Nintendo games are so special care because they are on Nintendo hardware, Nintendo almost always make that hardware with they 1st party teams and their IPs on their mind (pretty different situation from Sony/MS that make hardware with 3rd party on mind). Also Nintendo like platform holder does not depends from anywhere, they can do and make wherever they want, and that also have huge effect when they making their games. So yes, quality of Nintendo games like 3rd party games definatly wouldnt be same, you can compare quality of Sega game like hardware holder and quality Sega games like 3rd party and see how huge difrence is.

Definitely, Nintendo is just realising mobile versions of their IP for mobile platforms, they not moving from dedicated hardware.

Sadly most people won't understand this due to the mainstream platforms being driven mainly by third party software and not first party, this is why Nintendo makes hardware that suits their own needs first as their first party has always been the main draw for them, Sega is a prime example of why the whole third party example just falls flat as people think it'll be the same level of output but on another platform but that's never the case.

People who like Nintendo games buy their hardware and grab the games and having their games on other platforms would hardly make a difference to their software sales, There is to many people around this days that are like "I like Nintendo IP but don't buy there hardware, They should go 3rd party" and have been saying the same for 20 years now and in the end whether Nintendo software is on a different platform they wouldn't buy it anyway.

If for some reason they did for a start they would loose $20 in platform fees from every $60 new game they released, You also have to take into consideration that Nintendo games stay at full price giving Nintendo a high profit per unit sold where as other platforms its basically expected for a game to drop from $60-$40 within 3 months and at $30 6 months after release which they would have to follow the trend along with a much bigger used game market for the other consoles so even if they sold more copies the profit margin would be a lot lower. Also some Nintendo only fans may not even continue to buy their games as they would have to pay $40 a year to play MK, Splatoon, Smash, etc online which was free.

I've never understood why people think Nintendo would continue to release there current quantity/quality of software if they gave up the hardware business and at the end of the day if Nintendo decided to go a software only company they would size down go like 90% smartphone development and leave maybe a Zelda here and there along with cheap Mario spinoffs as a 3rd party developer.

Wyrdness said:
Miyamotoo said:

That point most people dont realise that want "Nintendo games on PS4". Reason why Nintendo games are so special care because they are on Nintendo hardware, Nintendo almost always make that hardware with they 1st party teams and their IPs on their mind (pretty different situation from Sony/MS that make hardware with 3rd party on mind). Also Nintendo like platform holder does not depends from anywhere, they can do and make wherever they want, and that also have huge effect when they making their games. So yes, quality of Nintendo games like 3rd party games definatly wouldnt be same, you can compare quality of Sega game like hardware holder and quality Sega games like 3rd party and see how huge difrence is.

Definitely, Nintendo is just realising mobile versions of their IP for mobile platforms, they not moving from dedicated hardware.

Sadly most people won't understand this due to the mainstream platforms being driven mainly by third party software and not first party, this is why Nintendo makes hardware that suits their own needs first as their first party has always been the main draw for them, Sega is a prime example of why the whole third party example just falls flat as people think it'll be the same level of output but on another platform but that's never the case.

WoodenPints said:
People who like Nintendo games buy their hardware and grab the games and having their games on other platforms would hardly make a difference to their software sales, There is to many people around this days that are like "I like Nintendo IP but don't buy there hardware, They should go 3rd party" and have been saying the same for 20 years now and in the end whether Nintendo software is on a different platform they wouldn't buy it anyway.

If for some reason they did for a start they would loose $20 in platform fees from every $60 new game they released, You also have to take into consideration that Nintendo games stay at full price giving Nintendo a high profit per unit sold where as other platforms its basically expected for a game to drop from $60-$40 within 3 months and at $30 6 months after release which they would have to follow the trend along with a much bigger used game market for the other consoles so even if they sold more copies the profit margin would be a lot lower. Also some Nintendo only fans may not even continue to buy their games as they would have to pay $40 a year to play MK, Splatoon, Smash, etc online which was free.

I've never understood why people think Nintendo would continue to release there current quantity/quality of software if they gave up the hardware business and at the end of the day if Nintendo decided to go a software only company they would size down go like 90% smartphone development and leave maybe a Zelda here and there along with cheap Mario spinoffs as a 3rd party developer.

There will be always some people that will just say "I want Mario and Zelda on PS4" without any thinking, for instance why are Nintendo games so special and what exatly make them so special.