By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are You Buying No Man's Sky?

Are You Buying No Man's Sky?

Hell YES 211 50.00%

Hell NO 137 32.46%

Show Me The Stars 74 17.54%

Total:422
GribbleGrunger said:
SWORDF1SH said:

If it sells well I see them setting up a new team purely to support NMS for years to come, it's that type of game.

They have said they're going to support it for a very long time. They've also expressed an interest in creating a game which uses the same tech but in a smaller space so they can drill down on the detail and complexity.

This is a must watch if you haven't seen it already:

View on YouTube

Interesting stuff. I'm actually surprised that they don't store the data of generated planets, instead calculations will keep generating the planet exactly in the same way no matter how many times you or other people visit it.

I love the fact that planets are generated taking into consideration how close they are to their Sun. So if they are the right distance away from their Sun it will be a "Goldilocks" planet with liquid lakes, clouds and atmosphere. To close it will be burnt to a crisp and further away it will be cold. It's not randomly generated and a lot of thought has been put into how everything is created on the fly.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:

Interesting stuff. I'm actually surprised that they don't store the data of generated planets, instead calculations will keep generating the planet exactly in the same way no matter how many times you or other people visit it.

I love the fact that planets are generated taking into consideration how close they are to their Sun. So if they are the right distance away from their Sun it will be a "Goldilocks" planet with liquid lakes, clouds and atmosphere. To close it will be burnt to a crisp and further away it will be cold. It's not randomly generated and a lot of thought has been put into how everything is created on the fly.

There's so many algorithms at work, it's incredible. Even the colour of the sky is dictated by the moisture in the air and the moisture in the air is dictated by how much water is on the planet, and how much water is on the planet depends on how close it is to the sun. Then you have the animals and their behavior which is also dictated by the above and what flora grows there. Mindblowing stuff.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
SWORDF1SH said:

There's so many algorithms at work, it's incredible. Even the colour of the sky is dictated by the moisture in the air and the moisture in the air is dictated by how much water is on the planet, and how much water is on the planet depends on how close it is to the sun. Then you have the animals and their behavior which is also dictated by the above and what flora grows there. Mindblowing stuff.

Sean's "incompetent" though, end of story /s

Assuming it's good, I'll buy it once it's on sale.

No, not really. Everything I've seen doesn't really hype me enough to purchase something like this, at least full price.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:

Sean's "incompetent" though, end of story /s

Yeah, people say silly things sometimes (me included) :)

The PS5 Exists. 

If the game is 6GB then does that mean theres no mandatory installation.

I'm all over this one on PS4, although my hype has subdued over the 2.5 years it took this game to come out. Still excited to play it, though!

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Wright said:

No, not really. Everything I've seen doesn't really hype me enough to purchase something like this, at least full price.

I'm just willing to support a small team that's worked for 4 years, had their work destroyed by a flood and their lead designer sold his house to fullfil his dream. This is a labour of love and I think it's worth $60. If you don't, that's fine.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Wright said:

I'm just willing to support a small team that's worked for 4 years, had their work destroyed by a flood and their lead designer sold his house to fullfil his dream. This is a labour of love and I think it's worth $60. If you don't, that's fine.

I bought Heart & Slash the other day. I've already had my fill supporting small teams that have given everything they had to produce a game made out of love and passion. Since you probably haven't bought that game, it's only fair that you'd be the one supporting No Man Sky instead of me.