By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lock this thread, please.

GribbleGrunger said:
Have I really covered all the possible updates? Come on, folks, let's see what wonderful ideas you have for this game.

I'll have a think and get back to ya!

Around the Network

So here's what I would like changed or added.

Mining
I think mining materials should be more natural. I'm not fond of the huge crystal sticking out the ground. I'd prefer that you would have some sort of scanner that identifies what the ground below contains so you can mine specific parts of the ground to gain those material.

Towns
So we know the game will contain intelligent lifeforms but you only encounter them at space stations, factories etc. Adding populated towns and cities would make it more realistic. It just seems a little conflicting to have these planets that have advanced technologies but 99.9% of the planet looks wild. Maybe a certain race live on one or two planets but they mine hundreds of planets. That would explain why a lot of the planets only contain plants and space stations.

Planets
I know Sean mentioned why he didn't include gas planets but I feel they need to be there even if you can't explore them just to replicate a real galaxy. It's not like the game doesn't have enough planets to include them. Also a only small percentage of planets should have life on them. I think Sean did mention about some planets being lifeless and only useful to mine materials but it need to be more. Scanning the planets before you land will tell you the chance percentage of finding lifeforms, intelligent lifeforms and a breakdown of what materials. This will prevent you visiting planets you don't want to be at.

Can you drive into stars?
Majorly pointless but I want to be able to drive towards a sun until I melt just for shit and giggles.

How close will it replicate a galaxy?
Sean mentioned that there will be black holes but will we see stuff like quasars and stars orbiting each other. Imagine playing hundreds of hours and you come across one of these rare events.

SWORDF1SH said:
So here's what I would like changed or added.

Mining
I think mining materials should be more natural. I'm not fond of the huge crystal sticking out the ground. I'd prefer that you would have some sort of scanner that identifies what the ground below contains so you can mine specific parts of the ground to gain those material.

Towns
So we know the game will contain intelligent lifeforms but you only encounter them at space stations, factories etc. Adding populated towns and cities would make it more realistic. It just seems a little conflicting to have these planets that have advanced technologies but 99.9% of the planet looks wild. Maybe a certain race live on one or two planets but they mine hundreds of planets. That would explain why a lot of the planets only contain plants and space stations.

Planets
I know Sean mentioned why he didn't include gas planets but I feel they need to be there even if you can't explore them just to replicate a real galaxy. It's not like the game doesn't have enough planets to include them. Also a only small percentage of planets should have life on them. I think Sean did mention about some planets being lifeless and only useful to mine materials but it need to be more. Scanning the planets before you land will tell you the chance percentage of finding lifeforms, intelligent lifeforms and a breakdown of what materials. This will prevent you visiting planets you don't want to be at.

Can you drive into stars?
Majorly pointless but I want to be able to drive towards a sun until I melt just for shit and giggles.

How close will it replicate a galaxy?
Sean mentioned that there will be black holes but will we see stuff like quasars and stars orbiting each other. Imagine playing hundreds of hours and you come across one of these rare events.

Nice job on contributing:

Mining: I think those crystals we see on the surface of the planet are very basic materials to help with things like fuel and finance. If you watch a lot of the videos which contain scanning, you'll notice that some of the material IS hidden in rocks or underground, as well as in plants and animals.

Towns: The only reason I think towns won't be in the game is because of technical reasons. Not only will those towns have to be of a decent size but they'll also need to be pupulated and I'm not sure the engine will be capable of such complexity. I'm not discounting it though because you never know. I was going to add one other thing that was similar to this and that was 'villages'. I would consider that a little less technical and less taxing on the engine because it could simply be a smattering of primitive huts. This allows for another addition I was going to add which is 'tribes' (some friendly and some unfriendly).

Planets: Maybe gas giants will eventually make it into the game but we already know that only 10% of all the planets are going to be inhabited and only 10% of those inhabited planets will be lush and filled with materials. The vast majority of planets are going to be dead planets but they may contain rare materials.

Driving into stars: maybe this would be in there anyway? We'll have to wait and see. For all we know MY suggestions might actually be there too.

Replicating a galaxy: Sean has said that although there aren't any gas giants in the game, there will definitely be phenomena we can see in our own galaxy so I'm going to guess, yes, we'll see what you're asking for here in the launch game.

The PS5 Exists. 

Im not the guy who looking for co-op and multiplayer on games but for this co-op, will be perfect. I believe after some hours the game will be boring, so with other people maybe become more intresting maybe i don't know we wait and see.

I think towns and cities are technically possible but it would take a huge amount of time to implement. I think Hello Games could spend a couple more years on the game and just keep adding stuff. They have to draw a line at some point.

10% of planets being populated is less than I thought so that isn't too bad. It's actually feels quite odd to request more baron planets, less is more I guess.

Being a small team it feels like they have a list of all the things that are most important to the game with the most important at the top, depending how much time they have the further they can go down the list. NMS isn't the type of game to get a sequel so I expect huge updates over time and they will keep working they way down the list.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:

I really don't get why everyone is forbidden to ask for some sort of robust multiplayer. Its what everyone wants and rightfully so. I mean it would be retarded for a game like this not to have one.

It's a game about exploration, not about combat. That's why, if I had to guess. Any attempt to add multiplayer just wouldn't fit the game's core idea (exploration) or wouldn't work in practice (players would get separated too easily, and making this into an MMO is not a realistic idea).

Also, and this is probably the most practical reason for not having multiplayer, is that adding multiplayer at this point of development would take a humongous amount of resources unless the game was already developed with multiplayer in mind right from the beginning, which it probably wasn't. Adding multiplayer may seem like adding just another game mode and then some, but in reality, it seems that adding all that code needed for networking affects a huge amount of things because a lot has to be communicated between the clients (and possibly a server). All in all, this is probably just not viable for a small developer to do.

Zkuq said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I really don't get why everyone is forbidden to ask for some sort of robust multiplayer. Its what everyone wants and rightfully so. I mean it would be retarded for a game like this not to have one.

It's a game about exploration, not about combat. That's why, if I had to guess. Any attempt to add multiplayer just wouldn't fit the game's core idea (exploration) or wouldn't work in practice (players would get separated too easily, and making this into an MMO is not a realistic idea).

Also, and this is probably the most practical reason for not having multiplayer, is that adding multiplayer at this point of development would take a humongous amount of resources unless the game was already developed with multiplayer in mind right from the beginning, which it probably wasn't. Adding multiplayer may seem like adding just another game mode and then some, but in reality, it seems that adding all that code needed for networking affects a huge amount of things because a lot has to be communicated between the clients (and possibly a server). All in all, this is probably just not viable for a small developer to do.

You are right on both accounts. Multiplayer and co op doesn't really add anything and not really worth the time.

To add to your 2 points, the game is probably balanced for solo play so any type of multiplayer will not work that great.

SWORDF1SH said:
I think towns and cities are technically possible but it would take a huge amount of time to implement. 

The whole universe in this game is procedurally generated, so this is not a question of time if they have implemented this variable in their algorithm.

I think that there will be big cities on planets close to the center of universe.

Zkuq said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Minecraft has similar multiplayer. Is it about combat? Sean Murray already said you can meet players on your journey so whats the harm in co-oping? Or even do it similar to Dark Souls where other players can invade your world. All the devs are doing is essentially giving you an entire universe and telling you that you can explore it however you see fit... except with others.

Mystro-Sama said:
Zkuq said:

Minecraft has similar multiplayer. Is it about combat? Sean Murray already said you can meet players on your journey so whats the harm in co-oping? Or even do it similar to Dark Souls where other players can invade your world. All the devs are doing is essentially giving you an entire universe and telling you that you can explore it however you see fit... except with others.

Of course Minecraft's multiplayer isn't about combat. However, it's not about exploration either. Imagine Minecraft multiplayer where everyone keeps constantly moving to new, unexplored areas, and no one has any permanent bases. Unless you play together every single time, you're bound to get separated, at which point multiplayer is almost pointless. Multiplayer in Minecraft works because most players don't exclusively explore. Almost everyone has a base, and people tend to stick relatively close to each other. It wouldn't work in No Man's Sky because everyone's constantly on the move, and it's probably pretty unlikely that two people independently choose to go to the same locations repeatedly.

I agree that the system in Dark Souls could work... But I'm not sure invasions are what players would enjoy. Seemingly random difficulty spikes and losing all your stuff are probably not something a lot of players would enjoy in a game like No Man's Sky. It could possibly be made to work, but I'm not sure it would still be worth it. Personally I don't think it would add enough to the game.

Also, in any case, adding support for multiplayer is a lot of work unless the game wasn't designed with multiplayer in mind in the first place.