By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lock this thread, please.

Zkuq said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Minecraft has similar multiplayer. Is it about combat? Sean Murray already said you can meet players on your journey so whats the harm in co-oping? Or even do it similar to Dark Souls where other players can invade your world. All the devs are doing is essentially giving you an entire universe and telling you that you can explore it however you see fit... except with others.

Of course Minecraft's multiplayer isn't about combat. However, it's not about exploration either. Imagine Minecraft multiplayer where everyone keeps constantly moving to new, unexplored areas, and no one has any permanent bases. Unless you play together every single time, you're bound to get separated, at which point multiplayer is almost pointless. Multiplayer in Minecraft works because most players don't exclusively explore. Almost everyone has a base, and people tend to stick relatively close to each other. It wouldn't work in No Man's Sky because everyone's constantly on the move, and it's probably pretty unlikely that two people independently choose to go to the same locations repeatedly.

I agree that the system in Dark Souls could work... But I'm not sure invasions are what players would enjoy. Seemingly random difficulty spikes and losing all your stuff are probably not something a lot of players would enjoy in a game like No Man's Sky. It could possibly be made to work, but I'm not sure it would still be worth it. Personally I don't think it would add enough to the game.

Also, in any case, adding support for multiplayer is a lot of work unless the game wasn't designed with multiplayer in mind in the first place.

Isn't this thread abotu future updates anyways? I think they can work it out... All i'm saying is that a robust multiplayer will make this game overall more enjoyable and extend the life of this game.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:

I really don't get why everyone is forbidden to ask for some sort of robust multiplayer. Its what everyone wants and rightfully so. I mean it would be retarded for a game like this not to have one.

The scope of this game makes multiplayer impossible unless there would be fixed points that everyone unlocks at some point in the game. That really defeats the purpose of exploration.

People have to understand that this isn't a space shooter. Its an exploration and travel game. Having other players hoping around is going to disrupt the immersion.

Really think this game is going to be a huge disappointment for people...

Mystro-Sama said:

Isn't this thread abotu future updates anyways? I think they can work it out... All i'm saying is that a robust multiplayer will make this game overall more enjoyable and extend the life of this game.

I'm sure they can, but it's a lot of work and might not be worth the effort due to the focus on exploration. Multiplayer could improve the game a lot but personally I think adding a truly entertaining multiplayer component would require much more effort than with a lot of other games. My opinion is that it would have to be an MMO to maximize the benefits of having a multiplayer component, and it's very unlikely it's ever going to be an MMO. It would be relatively straightforward, albeit time-consuming and expensive, to add a simple combat multiplayer mode, but it would clearly be just tacked on and not have most of the game's strengths.