By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nier Automata to have changes for localized versions

How many times do we need to have the discussion that localization and censorship are two different concepts?

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
Boutros said:
More localization teams should do this. No I do not understand brother-younger sister incestious relationships.

I lol'd.

Eh, weird. We already had to play the original Nier as Papa Nier instead of Brother Nier because for some reason localization team deemed fit to make it so.

Oh noes, now everyone should boycot this game! /s

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 24 July 2018

Around the Network

What if they added some lines about GamerGate?

>Throws game into trash.

I never understand this, the game is niche....The people that buy these kinds of games really don't give a F**k about changing it, they would rather it stayed true to the original vision.

Not a huge fan of this. I like getting cultural references. At worst, I don't understand them. At best, I can learn something new and maybe find it entertaining. If things are aimed at the international market, it would probably be best to design them in an international manner in the first place instead of doing it during the localization process. I guess this is a valid choice too, but I don't personally like it very much.

I'm good to know exactly what they are changing before being worried about it.

Then we will know if it's censorship or not.

Sounds like standard localization changes to me. There's a pretty big difference between localization changes and "censorship". Even when I took Japanese we had excercises where we translated sentences, and sometimes (more often than you'd think) we had to find "similar" english language words since there are a lot of words in Japanese with no english equiv at all.

When I say similar, it depends on the translator whose judgement decides what word replaces or changes the sentence in a way that would make sense to english speakers. And it can be very subjective, there can be multiple meanings pulled from slightly different translations even though the translations come from the same source... don't know if any of what I said made sense -I haven't slept and am sick XD buuuut...

tl;dr ver: The word "change" does not mean "censorship". Changes are made literally all the time from Japanese to English, and in many language to language translations in general. Hell, even subbed anime isn't 100% to the original original. I can pick out sentences that sub teams completely change sometimes but thats not to censor anything, but because it'd make the delivery or meaning of certain things stronger and such. Standard stuff, nothing to freak out over