By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I hope Sony does not listen to Microsoft call for open online gaming

vivster said:
Barkley said:

Yes but they need to sell hardware to get the bulk of that money, Third Party software on their closed platform and PS+ Subcriptions.

Exclusives are their to draw people to the system, the bulk of the money is made from third party and subscriptions. Losing the edge of people buying there console because their friends have it (because it is the best selling and market leader hardware) is a bad move.

The fallacy here is that people are not simply buying consoles because exclusives. They buy it first because they aren't PCs and only then decide which of the console to get by exclusives. Believe me when I say that if there were no exclsuive games on consoles, they would still sell a lot.

Just listen to any console peasant rant on why consoles are superior and you will see that exclusives are just one point of many.

Yes but this thread is about sony allowing cross platform with Xbox being a bad decision. A big selling point for consoles is what console your friends own so you can play multiplayer together, Sony has this edge because it has a huge lead in marketshare, going cross platform loses this edge. I'm not saying consoles without exclusives are irrelevant.

Edit: Ok looks like I didn't read the OP propperly, I don't completely agree with OP's reasoning. I think it's a bad decision just because it gives people who's friends all own an Playstation the option to buy an Xbox.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Microsoft is only playing the good guy because Sony and Steam have cornered them and they have no choice. Where was this MS the last 2 gens when they were reeling bullish?

Sony should allow cross play but that's it. They've always been open to this. MS only recently came around to it. Again, only because they're cornered and it suits them.

Steam corned MS? Steam only survives on Windows, only a tiny percentage use it for Mac and Linux.

Sony has the edge in the console market and MS no doubt wants to gain some ground. So they do whatever they need to. When Sony was down last gen they lost billions to make PS3 relevant. So that's the business, when things are going to great you try different things.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:
Microsoft is only playing the good guy because Sony and Steam have cornered them and they have no choice. Where was this MS the last 2 gens when they were reeling bullish?

Sony should allow cross play but that's it. They've always been open to this. MS only recently came around to it. Again, only because they're cornered and it suits them.

Steam corned MS? Steam only survives on Windows, only a tiny percentage use it for Mac and Linux.

Yes Steam cornered MS in PC Gaming and Sony cornered them in Console Gaming. It doesn't matter if they're using a Windows machine to play games, Microsoft still make no money from those games unless they are published by themselves, they make no more money from a PC gamer then they would make from a PC owner who doesn't game. Not to mention Windows 10 was free.

Microsoft are cornered by Steam because it would be an almost impossible task for them now have the defintiive games platform on PC. Valve are rolling in cash by sitting back and watching almost ever developer release their title on Steam. The Windows Store will never be able to achieve that now.

You should probably tell console manufacturers to stop making consoles into PC's then, because that is exactly what they are trying to become, this gen has had them switching their architecture to a level that PC uses along with trying to emulate whatever a PC has done in the past and does today.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Barkley said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Yes Steam cornered MS in PC Gaming and Sony cornered them in Console Gaming. It doesn't matter if they're using a Windows machine to play games, Microsoft still make no money from those games unless they are published by themselves, they make no more money from a PC gamer then they would make from a PC owner who doesn't game. Not to mention Windows 10 was free.

Microsoft are cornered by Steam because it would be an almost impossible task for them now have the defintiive games platform on PC. Valve are rolling in cash by sitting back and watching almost ever developer release their title on Steam. The Windows Store will never be able to achieve that now.

Steam has encouraged people to do more PC gaming and most of them are using Windows 10 now. So its not crazy to assume MS benefits from Steam even if not from direct profits.

Windows store isn't just a games store.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Barkley said:

Steam has encouraged people to do more PC gaming and most of them are using Windows 10 now. So its not crazy to assume MS benefits from Steam even if not from direct profits.

Windows store isn't just a games store.

Even if gaming on PC didn't exist 95%+ of Windows 10 machines would still exist as they are mostly used for productivity, work, media etc. Not gaming. If Steam didn't exist Microsoft could also be in a position to be THE distributor of games on Windows, getting all that cash Valve is currently rolling in. Steam going under or being acquired by Microsoft would be the best possible thing to happen for Microsoft in terms of PC gaming.

As for the Windows Store I don't know how many actually use the thing...

I like playing SFV with PC and PS4 gamers alike. I don't care enough about the console war to mind if it removes the "my friends have X console so I'll buy this one as well" argument. In fact I think it's wonderful if someone who loves Gears and Halo can play a shared 3rd party game with someone who loves Uncharted.

Signature goes here!

I don't understand this thing. What "Microsoft have a OS to sell" means ? 0,001% of the ones who will upgrade for the Windows 10 will do this because of the games, so selling the OS isn't the reason Microsoft is doing this.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Puppyroach said:

MS has been open from the start that console+PC is the way they intend to go, since those are their own main platforms. But since they botched the PC direction through a crappy service, and XBox 360 took of, the PC part was dormant until they started the project of unification with W8.

And Sony being against cross-platform play with PC? Where have you gotten that idea from? I think they where even open to the idea of cross-platform play with XBox, which MS were stupid enough to say no to.

I do think there is greater risk for Sony to start releasing games on PC, but I think that´s mainly because they would then be under the perception that they are releasing games on a MS platform. MS doesn´t run that risk, but if Sony were smart they would still look into this strategy as a way to secure their own future.

I doubt Sony wouldve gone full cross platform with the Xbox last gen. Perhaps to a handful of games, but thats about it. Any sources?

You can concede that Sony are positive toward the idea of cross-platform with PC atleast? And I think there was an MMO that wasn't released on 360 because MS refused cross-platform play while Sony were positive towards it, and some other games.

TruckOSaurus said:
I like playing SFV with PC and PS4 gamers alike. I don't care enough about the console war to mind if it removes the "my friends have X console so I'll buy this one as well" argument. In fact I think it's wonderful if someone who loves Gears and Halo can play a shared 3rd party game with someone who loves Uncharted.

I wholeheartedly agree :).