By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I hope Sony does not listen to Microsoft call for open online gaming

Aeolus451 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Agreed. Sony doesn't have their own OS, but Sony also has gained a respect for the console industry since consoles are their most sought after selling point featuring their formats (which they tend to push first).

Yes, I can understand Sony showed some positivity towards Microsoft, but really they should do so while being weary of Microsoft. This could very well be a tactic that works in Microsofts favor since it opens more doors and online is a deal breaker at times when it comes to friends buying certain consoles. If they establish crossplay for all it doesnt matter which console they buy.

You forgot something. Single player games. They make up the majority of games on consoles and sony is stonger than ms on that front. Crossplay doesn't have any influence on that. You're right if we're just talking about multiplayer focused games like cod.

Crossplay is a good thing overall. It's better for all gamers who play multiplayer games because it gives you a much larger pool of players to face or play with which in turn keeps players playing those games. I think it would increase sales for both playstation and xbox because more younger people would get into gaming since they can play with all of their friends. Don't have to be so picky on which console to choose. Just pick one with the single player games you like. Nintendo might even forced into it eventually. 

Some of the highest selling games on consoles are multiplayer shooters. This is why they fight over DLC. People tend to want to be where the DLC is first as a system seller for multiplayer games than single player games (unless they are buying the console for that game).

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Just like I said it in the title, Sony needs to stand their ground as the market leader FOR CONSOLES. Microsoft has never truly been all about consoles and they are starting to show their true colors. It doesnt matter how close consoles are getting to PC's, the console needs to be an experience that is seldom allowed to share its space with PC. If Sony gave their exclusives to PC during the PS3 era it would've been the biggest cop out. If Sony would've given up their amazing exclusives lineup to PC, they would never have caught up to Microsoft by the end of last gen. Microsoft gave up too easily and revealed who they truly are. Its known that they were never a great console developer, but at this point its safe to say that PC gamers are going to be gaming on console gamers dime with live for a good long while.

My reason for saying this is because is Sony goes open platform, they are giving Microsoft what they crave, which is less incentive for people to buy consoles based on who their friends are doing. It might seem like what Microsoft is doing is pro consumer at first glance, but in truth if Sony goes through with it, this is one less reason to to buy to go with the more dominant choice. Microsoft showed Sony zero quarter in this respect last gen, but do you really believe Sony should open up?

MS has been open from the start that console+PC is the way they intend to go, since those are their own main platforms. But since they botched the PC direction through a crappy service, and XBox 360 took of, the PC part was dormant until they started the project of unification with W8.

And Sony being against cross-platform play with PC? Where have you gotten that idea from? I think they where even open to the idea of cross-platform play with XBox, which MS were stupid enough to say no to.

I do think there is greater risk for Sony to start releasing games on PC, but I think that´s mainly because they would then be under the perception that they are releasing games on a MS platform. MS doesn´t run that risk, but if Sony were smart they would still look into this strategy as a way to secure their own future.

Wasn't Sony conbsidering making the PS VR compatible with PCs. Sony has been thinking beyond the Playstation Hardware for a long time now. Cross-platform play is good for everyone.  

Aeolus451 said:
Are you talking cross-play between the gaming platforms or exclusives being on pc?

I'll address both I guess.

Sony already said they were on board with cross-play with xbox and has been allowing crossplay between pc and PS3/PS4. MS tried to act like it was their idea not that long with that publicity stunt of theirs.

I'm completely fine with 3rd party console exclusives being on playstation consoles and pc. Sony will never bring their first party exclusives to PC because sony doesn't have an OS they're trying to sell. Sony wouldn't benefit from a move like that.

I Actually think MS set back this possibility by announcing they wanted cross network play, if only Sony would agree, via PR statements.  They could have reached out privately that they were finally ready to do cross network play and actually work something out. It actually makes me think they still really don't want it in reality.  

I read an article that the first time Sony execs heard MS was finally interested in cross network play was when it was announced like that.  If they were truly serious you wouldn't tell the press on a pr blast before trying to reach out to the people you supposedly want to connect with. 

I would have liked to see it but the way it was handled probably set it back a long while and I'm not even sure MS wanted anything more than the press they got for saying it in the long run. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Puppyroach said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Just like I said it in the title, Sony needs to stand their ground as the market leader FOR CONSOLES. Microsoft has never truly been all about consoles and they are starting to show their true colors. It doesnt matter how close consoles are getting to PC's, the console needs to be an experience that is seldom allowed to share its space with PC. If Sony gave their exclusives to PC during the PS3 era it would've been the biggest cop out. If Sony would've given up their amazing exclusives lineup to PC, they would never have caught up to Microsoft by the end of last gen. Microsoft gave up too easily and revealed who they truly are. Its known that they were never a great console developer, but at this point its safe to say that PC gamers are going to be gaming on console gamers dime with live for a good long while.

My reason for saying this is because is Sony goes open platform, they are giving Microsoft what they crave, which is less incentive for people to buy consoles based on who their friends are doing. It might seem like what Microsoft is doing is pro consumer at first glance, but in truth if Sony goes through with it, this is one less reason to to buy to go with the more dominant choice. Microsoft showed Sony zero quarter in this respect last gen, but do you really believe Sony should open up?

MS has been open from the start that console+PC is the way they intend to go, since those are their own main platforms. But since they botched the PC direction through a crappy service, and XBox 360 took of, the PC part was dormant until they started the project of unification with W8.

And Sony being against cross-platform play with PC? Where have you gotten that idea from? I think they where even open to the idea of cross-platform play with XBox, which MS were stupid enough to say no to.

I do think there is greater risk for Sony to start releasing games on PC, but I think that´s mainly because they would then be under the perception that they are releasing games on a MS platform. MS doesn´t run that risk, but if Sony were smart they would still look into this strategy as a way to secure their own future.

This is why I still am not sure MS are anymore serious about cross network play beyond the PR statments and good press they recieved. If they were they'd have gone to Sony direct to work something out or extend the possibility of it before making press statements to make their competitors look bad. 

I don't have a problem with them making Sony look bad because that is business and if they can somehow alter perception to them being the one that first came up with the idea and it's only not implemented because of how mean Sony is to gamers then that's what I'd do. I'm not going to fool myself it's anything more than that.  They've already achieved this with some articles released since and it was a very good PR move similar to Sony's "we'll let you play your used games".   

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Lrdfancypants said:
Aeolus451 said:
Are you talking cross-play between the gaming platforms or exclusives being on pc?

I'll address both I guess.

Sony already said they were on board with cross-play with xbox and has been allowing crossplay between pc and PS3/PS4. MS tried to act like it was their idea not that long with that publicity stunt of theirs.

I'm completely fine with 3rd party console exclusives being on playstation consoles and pc. Sony will never bring their first party exclusives to PC because sony doesn't have an OS they're trying to sell. Sony wouldn't benefit from a move like that.

I Actually think MS set back this possibility by announcing they wanted cross network play, if only Sony would agree, via PR statements.  They could have reached out privately that they were finally ready to do cross network play and actually work something out. It actually makes me think they still really don't want it in reality.  

I read an article that the first time Sony execs heard MS was finally interested in cross network play was when it was announced like that.  If they were truly serious you wouldn't tell the press on a pr blast before trying to reach out to the people you supposedly want to connect with. 

I would have liked to see it but the way it was handled probably set it back a long while and I'm not even sure MS wanted anything more than the press they got for saying it in the long run. 

I could see that. Frankly, it's a clever move on microsoft's part because when crossplay doesn't come around, sony would take the blame for it not happening. I really wish the conversations between  them about on that topic was available to the public. I hope they would come to some kind of agreement on it.

Around the Network

minecraft will be the first game and the reason, why less and less kids will play the game on playstation
they want to play with their friends on iOS, android and windows.
and many other games will follow. and playstation as a platform is the next casualty

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Aeolus451 said:

You forgot something. Single player games. They make up the majority of games on consoles and sony is stonger than ms on that front. Crossplay doesn't have any influence on that. You're right if we're just talking about multiplayer focused games like cod.

Crossplay is a good thing overall. It's better for all gamers who play multiplayer games because it gives you a much larger pool of players to face or play with which in turn keeps players playing those games. I think it would increase sales for both playstation and xbox because more younger people would get into gaming since they can play with all of their friends. Don't have to be so picky on which console to choose. Just pick one with the single player games you like. Nintendo might even forced into it eventually. 

Some of the highest selling games on consoles are multiplayer shooters. This is why they fight over DLC. People tend to want to be where the DLC is first as a system seller for multiplayer games than single player games (unless they are buying the console for that game).

My point still stands. They would just fight over DLC while crossplay was allowed.

So opening up your console to play with more people is bad?

I don't get the mentality that trying to round up people and lock them behind a gate for decades and decades more is somehow pro consumer friendly and objectively better than say being open and for everyone.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Sorry but this is silly, why would opening up online play between all mediums be bad in any sense? It means more people online, it means more people playing older games online, and it opens up a whole new realm for competitiveness between players. It's a great idea.