By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Breath of the Wild Needs to sell 2 million.

not a problem. 3 million is probably the floor.

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
Miyamotoo said:
I dont see this game selling less than 5m in any case so that means at least $150-200m profit just from this Zelda. :)

Wow, stick to gaming your accounting make no sense. Huge difference between revenue and profit. If the game been in production for 5 years, the cost is much higher than initially expected.

$60 is the retail price. Most retail store have a 30% mark up. Nintendo would receive only $42-45 per copies sold. 5M * 43.5 = 217.5M Revenue. Now they have to pay for all costs incurred to get the game to customer. (Marketing, Production [5 years worth of costs], Physical Packaging, etc.)  

Digital ?

d21lewis said:
yvanjean said:

Wow, stick to gaming your accounting make no sense. Huge difference between revenue and profit. If the game been in production for 5 years, the cost is much higher than initially expected.

$60 is the retail price. Most retail store have a 30% mark up. Nintendo would receive only $42-45 per copies sold. 5M * 43.5 = 217.5M Revenue. Now they have to pay for all costs incurred to get the game to customer. (Marketing, Production [5 years worth of costs], Physical Packaging, etc.)  

Digital ?

Well digital sales are much more profitable, if you want to support Nintendo buy digital games. But, I think that Nintendo out of the big 3 would get the least numbers of sales digitally. Since they focus on younger audience and familly friendly. Just look at the amazon.com best seller for WiiU Eshop card are much lower compare to PS4 and Xbox One. 

I'm not saying they won't make a profit but it's much smaller then reported by other users. 

I think this game can sell well over 5M if you combine the WiiU and NX sales and NX is not another flop like the WiiU.

Sounds like the budget is in line with a lot of modern AAA titles, then. Presuming Nintendo pockets $40 from each sale on average, production(+ marketing?) costs should be around $80m.

Of course it'll have no issues selling 4mil+. Its basically a guaranteed success.

Aielyn said:
Luke888 said:

He also mentioned that the development team for the game is more than 100 people, now we know that is the highest number of developer on a Nintendo game after what Aonuma said, plus, we know that Monolith has to be working on at least one other game since they have 200+ employees !

Edit: Also Shinya Takahashi mentioned that they will be re-using assets from TLOZ: BotW in other games, so I hope we will se another Zelda game, using the same engine (with small improvements) 2/3 years after NX's launch ala Majora's Mask !

BotW seems to take the quality well beyond what we saw in XCX. Perhaps the next Xenoblade game will use the same engine - it would be the perfect engine to use, given that "open air" is the obvious style to use for Xenoblade 3.

wombat123 said:
Aielyn said:

BotW seems to take the quality well beyond what we saw in XCX. Perhaps the next Xenoblade game will use the same engine - it would be the perfect engine to use, given that "open air" is the obvious style to use for Xenoblade 3.

There's a ton of franchises that could use the BotW engine effectively.  I personally want them to use it for a new Metroid game because the lowered development time using a pre-made engine is probably the only shot a less financially successful Nintendo franchise like Metroid has of getting a large-scale game of around BotW's size and scope.  Plus, even if Retro is sick of Metroid, maybe they'll change their tune if they find out they can make a more open Metroid game in same the vein of BotW.

Imho the prime candidate for using the BotW engine is Kirby: it's cartoony enough and I'm shure development would take a short ammount of time given that the Models for anything in the game would be quite simple, plus I don't get why Nintendo still hasn't tried to transition to 3D with the Kirby franchise since it's so suxcessful... Other than that yes, Metroid is another prime (pun intended) candidate since the shirnes we've seen so far have a futuristic look to them...

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
tbone51 said:

An extra 200k-400k? Looks good considering the game will do over 5mil so its all profit

That'd be an awfully small marketing budget for a game of this scale, particularly as it's going to be used to push the NX.  Even the E3 booth probably cost them 50K figuring very conservatively.

if each copy gives them $25 each (estimate) then 200k-400k would be $5mil-10mil no? I thought it was rumored $5-$10mil would be its buget for marketing? Correct me if im wrong

tbone51 said:
JWeinCom said:

That'd be an awfully small marketing budget for a game of this scale, particularly as it's going to be used to push the NX.  Even the E3 booth probably cost them 50K figuring very conservatively.

if each copy gives them $25 each (estimate) then 200k-400k would be $5mil-10mil no? I thought it was rumored $5-$10mil would be its buget for marketing? Correct me if im wrong

I thought you meant it was an extra 200-400,000 dollars for marketing.  I misunderstood.

If Splatoon could sell 1M pretty quickly, 2M should be child's play for Zelda.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Why StarFox is doomed? makes me wonder

We reap what we sow

I find this almost hard to believe but perhaps the lack of voice acting and the use of art style over graphical fidelity has kept costs down?

I love that though: I'm old-school, I don't need too much voice-acting, text is enough for me. Also, I prefer art style over cutting-edge graphics, games tend to run and age better with the former.