By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Breath of the Wild Needs to sell 2 million.

That can easily be done with the game releasing on both the Wii U and NX.

Around the Network

Wow, that's surprisingly open. Also very easy to exceed.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Should be easy enough, especially releasing on 2 systems

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Should be no problem. I think 4 million+ is doable.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Bigger budget = better game? Lol sure, that is why all AAA games are master pieces without glitches, bugs, broken and frames rate drop LOL

Around the Network

I just feel that the approach Nintendo took with this title is exactly what they need to do for the next 3d Mario, Donkey Kong and Metroid games. BoTW definitely has that Ocarina of Time Nintendo feel to it, so now I would love to get that Mario64 and the first time I played Metroid Prime level of hype.

Pavolink said:
does anyone else find weird that this game continues with a vague 2017 release date? Not even a wink to be at March for the supposed launch of the NX. I have a bad feeling that this will end coming later than we expect...

Honestly, it would not surprise me at all if Zelda gets knocked back again to November 2017.

KLXVER said:
Miyamotoo said:
I dont see this game selling less than 5m in any case so that means at least $150-200m profit just from this Zelda. :)

If a game of this scope only needs 2 million to make a profit, makes me wonder how Nintendo ever loses any money since most of their games do over 1M and arent nearly as big as BOTW...

I think Nintendo very rarely lose money on their games, they have huge profit on their games, people forgetting that Nintendo made good profit even with GC that had price of $100 long time, they probably making some small profit even with Wii U.

yvanjean said:
Miyamotoo said:
I dont see this game selling less than 5m in any case so that means at least $150-200m profit just from this Zelda. :)

Wow, stick to gaming your accounting make no sense. Huge difference between revenue and profit. If the game been in production for 5 years, the cost is much higher than initially expected.

$60 is the retail price. Most retail store have a 30% mark up. Nintendo would receive only $42-45 per copies sold. 5M * 43.5 = 217.5M Revenue. Now they have to pay for all costs incurred to get the game to customer. (Marketing, Production [5 years worth of costs], Physical Packaging, etc.)  

Nintendo said they need only 2m sold copies to make profit, so 2m cover development of game. Without that, we have left cost of marketing, package and retail stores, even with all that I think Nintendo have around $40 profit from $60 physical copy of game. Now we need to add digital sales, Nintendo digitaly sales are curently about 20-30% fo total sales, that 700k copies would sell whitout reatil, pacage and shiping costs, so that means more profit for digital games, that would raise average profit for those 3m sold games (including digital copies and without those first 2 that will cover development cost of game) around $45, and $45 * 3m = is $135m.

So yes, I little exaggerate when I said $150-200m for 5m sold copies of game, but 5m sales of game is lowest IMO this game would sell, so they can easy made around $200m clear profit with sold around 6-7m copies of games.

hadoram said:
Miyamotoo said:

Game looking great and that doesn't have anything with loyal fan base. You dont need expensive technologies to make great looking or great game!?

good? from a technicall perspective it doesnt look impressive, compare it to games like witcher 3.

From art perspective its looking good sure, but even indie games look good if they have a great artstyle.

Example?

or:

Game doesnt need to look technically impressive to look great, non of Wii U games are not technically impressive games but some of them are looking very beatifule despite weak hardware, Mario Kart, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Yoshi Woolly World, Captain Toad, Zelda BotW..

Also Nintendo couldn't really make game that is technically on pair with Witcher 3 because Wii U is very weak compared to XB1/PS4.