By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is becoming a vegetarian/vegan worth it?

I think its beast to still eat some meat. just not necessarily at every meal, or in big portions. And more fish and chicken and less red meat. Balance is best.

Around the Network

What exactly do you expect from a vegetarian/vegan diet?

I've been a vegan for over 15 years now so I'm naturally going to say yes, it is completely worth it. I don't want you to have false expectations though, there are many pros and (depending on what you expect) cons associated with it. I've seen many people try a vegetarian/vegan diet and expect things immediately and without any real effort on their part, this is seldom the case. If I know more about your expectations I can likely advise you better or I can direct you to another vegan/vegetarian who can.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

BraLoD said:
hershel_layton said:

Wow, I never knew microwaves are that damaging to food. I wonder if the same applies to baking them.

Also, there aren't too many vegetables I like cooked. Carrots(hard to eat raw with braces), broccoli, and potatoes are probably the only ones I enjoy cooked. 

Thanks for the advice though. Truly appreciate it.

Cooking does get away most of the stuff people believe some food have, thus making getting the said amount of something as a food is said to have you will have to eat several times the amount for just that one unit is supposed to give you.
Peeling as well, for fruits and the likes, as the highest amount of nutrients they have is usually at their skin.

Great to know that for the future. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

TechnoHobbit said:

What exactly do you expect from a vegetarian/vegan diet?

I've been a vegan for over 15 years now so I'm naturally going to say yes, it is completely worth it. I don't want you to have false expectations though, there are many pros and (depending on what you expect) cons associated with it. I've seen many people try a vegetarian/vegan diet and expect things immediately and without any real effort on their part, this is seldom the case. If I know more about your expectations I can likely advise you better or I can direct you to another vegan/vegetarian who can.

Hmm...I'm not entirely sure. I just always wanted to hear stories from people who tried being vegan/vegetarian. Also wanted to see whether if it's worth it or not.

I might just slowly eat less red meat(up to the point where I eat none) and focus on seafood and chicken instead. Less sugar and snacks and that may be enough for me to be healthier.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

In today's world, it's almost impossible to completely separate one's self from the killing of animals. Even if you're vegan, you're likely still using countless products derived from animals; plastics, dyes, shampoo/conditioner, cosmetics, vitamin supplements, textiles, rubber, shaving cream, deodorant, perfume, paint...

Also, in order to grow plant crops, natural habitat is destroyed and pest animals are shot and poisoned.

aLkaLiNE said:

- try weaning yourself off fake sugars, anything that says sucrose or glucose is bad.

Um, glucose isn't "fake sugar", it's the most fundamentally important sugar used in cellular respiration, the chemical reaction that powers our cells and keeps us alive.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
iceland said:
I'm lowkey pesco pollo vegetarian, needing meat for protein is a lie we've all been indoctrinated into believing. Plenty of plant based options for you, not to mention a lot of meat substitutes out there, you don't even have to really change your lifestyle that much. Don't be a raw vegan though No enjoyment in that

What vegetables do you eat for protein? I typically have Spinach or broccoli.

Peas, especially edamame. I get the bulk of my protein from Legumes - Beans and Lentils, Nuts.

curl-6 said:

In today's world, it's almost impossible to completely separate one's self from the killing of animals. Even if you're vegan, you're likely still using countless products derived from animals; plastics, dyes, shampoo/conditioner, cosmetics, vitamin supplements, textiles, rubber, shaving cream, deodorant, perfume, paint...

Also, in order to grow plant crops, natural habitat is destroyed and pest animals are shot and poisoned.

aLkaLiNE said:

- try weaning yourself off fake sugars, anything that says sucrose or glucose is bad.

Um, glucose isn't "fake sugar", it's the most fundamentally important sugar used in cellular respiration, the chemical reaction that powers our cells and keeps us alive.

I think I meant fructose and sucrose. They all sound similar 

aLkaLiNE said:
curl-6 said:

I think I meant fructose and sucrose. They all sound similar 

In that case, yes, both sucrose and fructose are best kept to a minimum.

I don't think so. There are healthier options to lose weight/be healthy... the best one is to have a balanced diet - one that includes all kind of food: vegetables, nuts, meat, even some sugar... that's the most natural way to be healthy; at least that's what most nutritionists recommend.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

hershel_layton said:

Over the summer I've been working on my eating habits, and I've started to see more and more online articles about vegetarian and vegan diets. 

Just curious, but for anyone who is a vegetarian/vegan(or tried to be one), do you think it's worth the sacrifices that are made(i.e no meat and whatnot)?

If being a vegetarian improves my life, I'll probably do over a course of one month. Won't be young forever, so it's smart for me to plan for the future.

If you are looking to improve your diet, and maybe lose weight, you're going to have to make sacrifices of some kind. But also don;t make the mistake of believing that if you go vegetarian or vegan you are going to be healthier. As an experiment I adopted a vegan diet for about 3 months, but I was totally open to eating junk food, as long as there was no animal product in it, like potato chips, and dark chocolate. Just to see if merely cutting out animal products would cause me to lose weight or feel better.

it had 3 interesting effects:

1) I found myself not missing the animal products I really like, at all. I didn't miss chicken or hamburgers or cheese. Not a bit, not even on day 1. This was mostly because I allowed myself to eat "vegan" junk food which meant I was able to indulge in food vices. And vegan pizza done right is really good.

2) I had voluminous and glorious poop. Damn it was marvelous. Perfect consistency and plenty of it, it really made me feel I was cleaning out the waste. That experience alone makes it almost worth it.

3) I gained weight. I kind of expected to gain weight. But it is proof that you can't simply become vegan or vegetarian and expect to see benefits in terms of weight. You still have to manage your diet with weight in mind, if that's one of the reasons you are considering the change.

Over all, I could easily see myself adopting a mostly vegan diet if I was living alone. My wife and son don't want to adopt a mostly vegan diet and I can't be arsed with the hastle of managing different dietary demans in one household. As someone who is not philosophically opposed to the consumption of animal products I would never be a totally strict vegan or vegetarian. If I'm going out for a meal or going to a friend's for dinner I would probably just go with the flow.

I do think animal products are a bigger drain on the earth's resources and a much less efficient way of propducing food than eating plant products only. So significantly reducing your consumption of animal products is better for sustainability and for an ever growing population to be able to adequately feed itself in the long term.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix