By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is becoming a vegetarian/vegan worth it?

hershel_layton said:
TechnoHobbit said:

What exactly do you expect from a vegetarian/vegan diet?

I've been a vegan for over 15 years now so I'm naturally going to say yes, it is completely worth it. I don't want you to have false expectations though, there are many pros and (depending on what you expect) cons associated with it. I've seen many people try a vegetarian/vegan diet and expect things immediately and without any real effort on their part, this is seldom the case. If I know more about your expectations I can likely advise you better or I can direct you to another vegan/vegetarian who can.

Hmm...I'm not entirely sure. I just always wanted to hear stories from people who tried being vegan/vegetarian. Also wanted to see whether if it's worth it or not.

I might just slowly eat less red meat(up to the point where I eat none) and focus on seafood and chicken instead. Less sugar and snacks and that may be enough for me to be healthier.

Ah, ok. In that case here are just a things I've learned in my years as a vegan.

I'll start off with some good things to know that I see people wanting to start eating vegan/vegetarian often forget/don't realize (not all things apply to everyone, still good to know, though).

• It isn't some miracle diet: As with all good things you will need to make an effort for it to work. Just because you are vegan/vegetarian doesn't automatically mean you will be healthy (there is a lot of awesome tasting vegan/vegetarian junk food out there and other foods that include junky ingredients), you will still need to practice healthy eating habits and exercise.
  • It takes time: Even with practicing healthy eating and exercise change won't always be intimidate and you may occasionally move backwards. You'll need to stick with it in order to get the benefits. 
  • It's hard at first: It takes people a long while to get use to eating vegan/vegetarian.  You'd be surprised how many things contain animal products, you need to do research in to vegan foods and brands. Thankfully it is easier than it once was as vegans/vegetarians are becoming more plentiful and the the demand for vegan products is going up and you'll also get more support. You'll also need to deal with people who have a vendetta against vegans/vegetarians and those who are misinformed about the facts and fear for you.

Now on to reason for going vegan or vegetarian (to a lesser extent for some of them) and this is just scratching the surface.

• Health: As long as you make the effort to pay attention to nutrition and practice healthy eating, a vegan/vegetarian diet can be extremely healthy and beneficial. Just to name a two basic advantages, vegans/vegetarian across the board have much lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure than meat eaters due to the nature of what they eat. And unlike many people still think to this day, getting protein, calcium, and iron (among others) is extremely easy with a vegan diet.
  • Environment: A vegan diet is one of the biggest things you can do to protect the environment. It cuts down significantly on everything from greenhouse gas emissions to land and water usage. Cutting out fish also helps protect our vital oceans. The popular documentary Cowspiracy looks at this well and is a great watch for anyone interested in a vegan/vegetarian diet. Or if you don't have time, just look at their facts page
  • Sustainability: This ties in with above, thanks to the things like less land and water usage a vegan diet helps dramatically with sustainability. Moving towards a plant based society will really help with food and water shortages. Let me put it this way, instead of feeding billions of cows that will feed millions of people we can use that same food to feed billions of people. Cowspiracy also looks into this. 
  • Least amount of suffering and killing: Going with a vegan/vegetarian diet means less animals will be horribly abused and killed. You can look up what goes on in a factory farm, but be warned, it is horrific. Even outside of factory farms, while less horrible, the killing of animals is unfortunate and unneeded in this day and age in the developed world. Many of these creatures are just, if not more, intelligent as dogs and other pets we have.

Anyway, that's a quick overview. I've missed tons of things, but hopefully it is suitable.

That would be a great start. Even just making smaller adjustments to your diet by cutting things out bit by bit can significantly improve your health over time.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

Around the Network

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-8LETe8gdrecEhxaGRWVVJRbWc/edit?pli=1

I could never go Vegetarian or Vegan as it is simply too expensive. I have always been a scrawny dude but I eat a lot of food and barely gain any weight. Here in cow land meat is quality and cheap, while some fruit is seasonal and often expensive.

I also love almost all food equally, so giving up meat would be the same as giving up all vegetables or all fruit etc.

Animal carnivores would eat me or a cow so I see no problem in eating them or a cow. Eventually I will die and be eaten by some organism. (Likely bacteria)

If Humans were being looked after in some alien Zoo on some distant solar system they would use the the Paleo diet for maximum health and compatibility 

TechnoHobbit said:
hershel_layton said:

Hmm...I'm not entirely sure. I just always wanted to hear stories from people who tried being vegan/vegetarian. Also wanted to see whether if it's worth it or not.

I might just slowly eat less red meat(up to the point where I eat none) and focus on seafood and chicken instead. Less sugar and snacks and that may be enough for me to be healthier.

Ah, ok. In that case here are just a things I've learned in my years as a vegan.

I'll start off with some good things to know that I see people wanting to start eating vegan/vegetarian often forget/don't realize (not all things apply to everyone, still good to know, though).

• It isn't some miracle diet: As with all good things you will need to make an effort for it to work. Just because you are vegan/vegetarian doesn't automatically mean you will be healthy (there is a lot of awesome tasting vegan/vegetarian junk food out there and other foods that include junky ingredients), you will still need to practice healthy eating habits and exercise.
  • It takes time: Even with practicing healthy eating and exercise change won't always be intimidate and you may occasionally move backwards. You'll need to stick with it in order to get the benefits. 
  • It's hard at first: It takes people a long while to get use to eating vegan/vegetarian.  You'd be surprised how many things contain animal products, you need to do research in to vegan foods and brands. Thankfully it is easier than it once was as vegans/vegetarians are becoming more plentiful and the the demand for vegan products is going up and you'll also get more support. You'll also need to deal with people who have a vendetta against vegans/vegetarians and those who are misinformed about the facts and fear for you.

Now on to reason for going vegan or vegetarian (to a lesser extent for some of them) and this is just scratching the surface.

• Health: As long as you make the effort to pay attention to nutrition and practice healthy eating, a vegan/vegetarian diet can be extremely healthy and beneficial. Just to name a two basic advantages, vegans/vegetarian across the board have much lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure than meat eaters due to the nature of what they eat. And unlike many people still think to this day, getting protein, calcium, and iron (among others) is extremely easy with a vegan diet.
  • Environment: A vegan diet is one of the biggest things you can do to protect the environment. It cuts down significantly on everything from greenhouse gas emissions to land and water usage. Cutting out fish also helps protect our vital oceans. The popular documentary Cowspiracy looks at this well and is a great watch for anyone interested in a vegan/vegetarian diet. Or if you don't have time, just look at their facts page
  • Sustainability: This ties in with above, thanks to the things like less land and water usage a vegan diet helps dramatically with sustainability. Moving towards a plant based society will really help with food and water shortages. Let me put it this way, instead of feeding billions of cows that will feed millions of people we can use that same food to feed billions of people. Cowspiracy also looks into this. 
  • Least amount of suffering and killing: Going with a vegan/vegetarian diet means less animals will be horribly abused and killed. You can look up what goes on in a factory farm, but be warned, it is horrific. Even outside of factory farms, while less horrible, the killing of animals is unfortunate and unneeded in this day and age in the developed world. Many of these creatures are just, if not more, intelligent as dogs and other pets we have.

Anyway, that's a quick overview. I've missed tons of things, but hopefully it is suitable.

That would be a great start. Even just making smaller adjustments to your diet by cutting things out bit by bit can significantly improve your health over time.

I've watched cowspiracy. It was a great movie to watch.

Also, curious, but are you still a vegan?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

hershel_layton said:

Yep. Physically it has helped me health wise a lot throughout the years and mentally I can't imagine eating an animal (or animal product) ever again. It's become part of who I am and I'm happy about that.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

We were made to eat meat. Meat is an essential component of the diet but like anything else should be taken in a balanced diet. The most important thing for health is that you have a balance between diet and excersize instead of prohibiting yourself to eat food we were made to eat

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

hershel_layton said:
TechnoHobbit said:

Your last point about suffering makes me angry because you also "torture and kill" plants brutally for vegan diets. You chop them up rip them apart just because no blood does not mean a plant's life is any worth more than an animal. If you don't want to kill then eat only fruits and without harming the seeds.Vegans also participate in killing and 'murdering' living beings. Stop being self righteous you kill to eat like any animal. Only plants are exempt from this because they are producers. Tell me are plants not living also. This is in no way a valid argument for being vegan and it is irritating as hell when vegans assume so. According to your own words you also torture and murder plants. Deal with it

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
hershel_layton said:

Your last point about suffering makes me angry because you also "torture and kill" plants brutally for vegan diets. You chop them up rip them apart just because no blood does not mean a plant's life is any worth more than an animal. If you don't want to kill then eat only fruits and without harming the seeds.Vegans also participate in killing and 'murdering' living beings. Stop being self righteous you kill to eat like any animal. Only plants are exempt from this because they are producers. Tell me are plants not living also. This is in no way a valid argument for being vegan and it is irritating as hell when vegans assume so. According to your own words you also torture and murder plants. Deal with it

This is very valid point in "animal killing" discussion - as someone who went vegetarian in my early 20's (I'm in mid 40s now), when people were asking me why I did it I was telling them that I don't feel comfortable with killing animals, as in me, personally, and as in animals, not living beings per se. I would still kill animal in wilderness if there was nothing else to eat, but I just don't have to in current world, so I just skip that part.

On the other side, I'm perfectly comfortable with ripping a plant from the ground any time of day to eat - I guess it's our inherent anthropocentric natures  that makes us feel more comfortable with killing plants than animals, some people just accept that as part of themselves, others don't.

hershel_layton said:

Over the summer I've been working on my eating habits, and I've started to see more and more online articles about vegetarian and vegan diets. 

Just curious, but for anyone who is a vegetarian/vegan(or tried to be one), do you think it's worth the sacrifices that are made(i.e no meat and whatnot)?

If being a vegetarian improves my life, I'll probably do over a course of one month. Won't be young forever, so it's smart for me to plan for the future.

It really depends on your body. My mom was a vegetarian for years but had to stop because she was becoming very sick. My mother both have low iron and eating a lot of spinach alone wasn't enough. Her doctors made her stop before she got sick. However if you don't have that problem then there is no issues with it.

I've heard from people that being a Vegan is better than being a vegetarian. Vegans tend to have more energy than most people and part of that is because eating pure fruits and vegetables is easy for your body to break down. In addition to that, applying basic science her. The transfer of energy gets lowered from carnivore to carnivore. A Giraffe will directly eat a plant and have a lot of energy, a Lion may eat that Giraffe but it will receive less energy and their body needs to break it down. If we were to kill the Lion and eat it. We would receive significantly less energy than the Lion did and our bodies would need to work harder to break it down.

Here's the funny thing. Giraffe's need 30 minutes of sleep a day. A female Lion (who does most of the hunting) sleeps for around 18 hours a day. There's a real difference there. A lot of Vegan's claim that they function or much less sleep and they are filled with far more energy. Vegetarians don't quite level to that. While I find it hard to believe this is possible as per being human, and Giraffe's sleep less than any other mammal. The reports are there and the science adds up. Hell, even a deer sleeps 30 minutes at a time, but throughout the day. They are also always alert while sleeping. Whilst not being alert while sleeping, vegans claim to be more alert during their day.

While being a vegan is significantly harder, and far more effective than being a vegetarian. You will need to give up dairy and grains. As those two are harder for your body to process and stores both weight and causes energy loss by your bodies requirement to work harder to break it down. Pasta can also pack on some weight for you.

My suggestion is to try it out for yourself and see if it makes a different for your body.