By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is becoming a vegetarian/vegan worth it?

markodeniro said:
Fededx said:
It is worth it, I feel much better now, I have more energy, and sleep better, and my skin looks better as well. But it's not easy replacing everything, you should go to a doctor to get professional info about it

I agree with this, it's just the same for me. But i don't like doctors, mine told me i have to eat meat and drink milk and told me i was too skinny (i was wearing a long sleeve t shirt, he never weighed me) so i told him maybe he is so fat because of meat, cheese and junk. Once you go Vegan it's hard to go back (for me anyway ) i'm a Vegan for life.

Any tips for long-term Vegan lifestyle?  When I tried it, I just slowly became malnourished.  I'd be willing to try it again if I had a plan for the long game.

Around the Network

I'm thinking about going vegetarian for a while, but I love meat, any tips? I was thinking of getting rid of 1 animal per month untill I'm completely vegetarian, is that a thing? lol

Well I've always been skinny, so I'd never even consider it. Even so, you should at least avoid eating red meats, as those are the killers. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

No. Realistically becoming Vegan wont change the world and will be rather tough on yourself (because people will find you annoying!)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I've been a vegetarian most of my life. Is it healthier? Undoubtedly. A lot of people around my age who eat meat are flabbier, weaker, slower, and have aged poorly. Not to say that you can't eat meat and be healthy, but you vastly increase your chances with an unprocessed vegetarian diet.

Plus, in terms of ethics, you avoid being part of the problem of cruelty towards animals and environmentally destructive animal farming practices.

Plus you'd be in good company, with people such as Plato, Tolstoy, Voltaire, Einstein, Tesla, Da Vinci, and Gandhi who were all vegetarian.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
malistix1985 said:
Personally I have a nice, no meat two days in the week, which has worked for me for many years. I would not give up meat completely, its very hard and although its definitely healthy to not eat to much of things its more then healthy to eat meat.

I would highly advice not to eat PORK however, no not from religious reasons, but that is a meat that adds to a unhealthy diet, eating more birds would really improve your life.

In all honesty, the only meats I would have a hard time removing from my diet is seafood(mainly salmon and shrimp) and chicken. 

I haven't had pork in my diet for about 9 years. As for beef, I'm sure it can be replaced easily with other things.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I don't doubt there is plenty animal cruelty in the world, yet locally all the farms around me look very well cared for. Nice open barns, no closed doors or anything, with plenty of farms letting the cows wander around outside. They seem pretty relaxed, lying around in the shade.
Chickens are a different story. Long factory sized buildings with huge fans on either end, no windows or anything. Better off eating steak and dairy products than chicken and eggs.

Just buy locally sourced and fresh foods whenever you can. You'll be helping the environment plenty already not having to process or freeze or haul the goods halfway over the world.

Ucouldntbemorewrong said:
hershel_layton said:

Over the summer I've been working on my eating habits, and I've started to see more and more online articles about vegetarian and vegan diets. 

Just curious, but for anyone who is a vegetarian/vegan(or tried to be one), do you think it's worth the sacrifices that are made(i.e no meat and whatnot)?

If being a vegetarian improves my life, I'll probably do over a course of one month. Won't be young forever, so it's smart for me to plan for the future.

The paleo diet is the best plan, it's sugars and grain products that are the true evil. If it's that you don't wanna kill animals than that's another thing.

While I do feel empathetic for the animals, I realize that the food chain exists for a reason. 

Only thing I'm against in the meat industry is animal cruelty. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

aLkaLiNE said:

I wouldn't do it, there are certainly other just as effective ways to change your diet in a positive way.
What I would recommend ~
Drink a gallon of water throughout each day. This alone will do wonders for your skin, your hair, your teeth, how much energy you have... Everything.

And then, start cutting out gluten from your diet. Swap out junk foods for berries and fruit, and go look into what super foods are such as kale or spinach.

- microwaves are a no no. Your scrambling the DNA of anything that's out in their and most of the nutrients you could otherwise get are destroyed. In fact I think you lose around 70% of somethings nutritional value after cooking it due to breaking down certain fatty chains and what not.

- try weaning yourself off fake sugars, anything that says sucrose or glucose is bad.

I also personally feel that it's just much better for your body to eat vegetables raw and uncooked (but washed).

With just that small amount of advice theres no reason you'd need to go vegetarian.

Wow, I never knew microwaves are that damaging to food. I wonder if the same applies to baking them.

Also, there aren't too many vegetables I like cooked. Carrots(hard to eat raw with braces), broccoli, and potatoes are probably the only ones I enjoy cooked. 

Thanks for the advice though. Truly appreciate it.

iceland said:
I'm lowkey pesco pollo vegetarian, needing meat for protein is a lie we've all been indoctrinated into believing. Plenty of plant based options for you, not to mention a lot of meat substitutes out there, you don't even have to really change your lifestyle that much. Don't be a raw vegan though No enjoyment in that

What vegetables do you eat for protein? I typically have Spinach or broccoli.