By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Sunset Overdrive 2. Insomniac confirms its not in development.

Not a big deal, they still have the IP if they ever wanna come back to it (which I doubt)

More astonishing is the fact that insomniac is on one hell of a roll lately with the number of games they're working on/the sharp turn around in quality from fuse.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
DivinePaladin said:

You mean those Resistance games that are still considered some of the best in the genre and performed decently in a crowded market? You could've used Fuse and had a completely irrefutable point!

This is the same Insomniac that is the undisputed king of independent development. I'll trust their effort here considering Spiderman has the largest team size they've ever had. Looking at how gorgeous and entertaining Ratchet PS4 was on almost no budget with a skeleton crew, I see no reason to worry yet. You've gotta keep in mind, Insomniac doesn't have a turnaround rate: Their employees stay a long time, so there are people working there from their Spyro days still. It's not like they're a one trick pony. 

OT: it's not surprising that after Spiderman was announced we got a confirmation of no SSO2 yet. Insomniac has finished or is working on over half a dozen games in 2016 (Ratchet, Song of the Deep, the three VR games, Spiderman, and a bunch of mobile games), so they really wouldn't have much more room to squeeze in another game. 

I think you're overating Resistance a little. They are good games but not great game. This is the point I'm trying to make. They shine brightest when they play to their strengths and make outstanding games. But they always do put out good games.

Resistance 3 has been consistently placed near the top of many best of lists for shooters. Fan demand for a Resistance 4 is still significant. Despite coming out without advertising next to Killzone, CoD, Battlefield, and other shooters, Resistance performed decently. The only thing underwhelming about Resistance was its sales curve, because Sony never tried to capitalize with R2/3 on the large launch audience that R1 had. If I gave a damn about shooters anymore and had played them in any significant manner, sure, perhaps you could argue I'm overrating the games. But this is literally just what MANY people have continually said - and from the small levels/multi-player matches I played of each, they're spot on. It's revisionist history to assume that because the franchise is no more that it was just another franchise. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I think you're overating Resistance a little. They are good games but not great game. This is the point I'm trying to make. They shine brightest when they play to their strengths and make outstanding games. But they always do put out good games.

Resistance 3 has been consistently placed near the top of many best of lists for shooters. Fan demand for a Resistance 4 is still significant. Despite coming out without advertising next to Killzone, CoD, Battlefield, and other shooters, Resistance performed decently. The only thing underwhelming about Resistance was its sales curve, because Sony never tried to capitalize with R2/3 on the large launch audience that R1 had. If I gave a damn about shooters anymore and had played them in any significant manner, sure, perhaps you could argue I'm overrating the games. But this is literally just what MANY people have continually said - and from the small levels/multi-player matches I played of each, they're spot on. It's revisionist history to assume that because the franchise is no more that it was just another franchise. 

I think it's just  a case of having different experiences. I got the impression from other people and reviews that it's a good game but nothing great. From my experience I didn't finish the first game, played and liked the second but couldn't manage to finish the third after losing interest half way through. I also didn't think the MP was that great although I think Resistance 2 had 20 v 20 battles which was quite huge for the time. That was pretty impressive.

SWORDF1SH said:

Those are the types of games that sell better on PS. QB would of thrieved on the PS4. In fact Remedy on the whole would do better on PlayStation. It's not a pop at Xbox because other genres do better on Xbox than PS, it's just that Sony have invested in a wider range of genres over the last 20 years while Xbox has been more laser focused on the more popular genres like shooters and racing.

Not really despite its much smaller install base both Max Payne 1 and 2 actually did a lot better on the original XBox.  Plus Remedy also likes to have their games available on PC and Sony doesn't alow any of their exclusives on PC.  So Remedy going with MS was the logical choice.

Pretty sad. It was an awesome game, especially when the community was alive and Sunset TV had new content. People didn't want to try something new, I guess. I was just playing the dlc a few days ago.

Around the Network

They wouldn't admit it even if they were lol.

SWORDF1SH said:
Bandorr said:
I doubt we will ever see a sequel to SSO, or QB. Which is a shame those are the only two games I've played on my XBOX one.

I guess what draws me to them is exactly what makes others avoid them.

Those are the types of games that sell better on PS. QB would of thrieved on the PS4. In fact Remedy on the whole would do better on PlayStation. It's not a pop at Xbox because other genres do better on Xbox than PS, it's just that Sony have invested in a wider range of genres over the last 20 years while Xbox has been more laser focused on the more popular genres like shooters and racing.

Right, Xbox gamers can't stand TPS games or open world action games... lol.

Anyways, Sunset is a great game but it has a style and humor that you either love or hate.

Teeqoz said:
They wouldn't admit it even if they were lol.

Exactly at this point it probably would only be in the very early development stage and they are not going to admit they are working on a game that doesn't come out any time soon.

Who cares? they re makeing this instead:

shikamaru317 said:
Hopefully MS will partner with them for SO2 after Spider-Man releases.

This isnt a one game, no more spidy type of thing.

Marvel talked about it like this was the future of their gameing stuff.

If Insomniac does a good game, theres going to be many more spiderman titles to follow (think series).

They are aiming to be "known" as the company that makes spiderman games, its their future.

Ratchet and Clank, used to be what they where known for, and their new game did pretty well.

They will probably do more, and between R&C and spiderman, I dont think they ll have much time to do other big projects.