By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DFC: Microsoft has killed the Xbox One Slim right out of the gate. Microsoft set to leave the Console Hardware Market?

AsGryffynn said:
Ruler said:

yeah but whats difference? You can build cheap PC or buy an Alienware Alpha or ASUS republic of gamer PC and set it up under your TV. If it really just runs your regular windows with no exclsuives and possible no physical media whats the point for average consumers to buy an Xbox?

Ease of use, pricing and ease of upgrade. The same reason people buy MacBook PCs... As for their plans, well, this ties in with them, since MS one goal is to have a Windows system in each living room... 

spemanig said:
Nope, MS is going the absolute best direction. Considering the kind of platform they already have.

I dont think so, they are alienating both PC and Console gamers with their current direction.

Console gamers arent happy because they see how the Xbox is losing its exclusives and they question why they even own one at this point, and how they have to pay for online.

PC gamers arent happy because the windows store games peform very badly and they limit freedoms which are essiantial to PC gaming. Like Moding and even running two GPUs to get more performance isnt possible on windows store games

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Ruler said:

yeah but whats difference? You can build cheap PC or buy an Alienware Alpha or ASUS republic of gamer PC and set it up under your TV. If it really just runs your regular windows with no exclsuives and possible no physical media whats the point for average consumers to buy an Xbox?

The difference is... The games will run better than a equivalent priced pc...

if Price is the main focus left, then they would game on PC dueto having free online for example or buying keys from the internet

I completely disagree. Scorpio announcement was needed before every console gamer with a power craving jumped onto the Neo this holiday, moreover I don't think Xbox One S's target market (casual gamers-Fifa/Cod) will even know Scorpio exist til its sitting in store shelves and being marketed by Microsoft.

In terms of the direction Xbox is going, I'm loving it. I'd rather it be distinct and them pathe their own way rather than simply being a less successful version of the playstation brand. It increases the chances that I (I primarily Playstation/Nintendo gamer) might actually get a xbox system down the road. They're simply not going to compete with Playstation in Europe or Japan, which means WW they will always be second fiddle, both in sales but also software support. To continue flogging Xbox as Playstation's twins (more powerful or not) will be a loosing battle, the whole ecosystem needs to be unique. If Xbox doesn't evolve it'll simply continue to decline in all areas. This  looks like it will at the very least benefit software.

Ruler said:

You cant change everything over night but i a gurentee you the entire spirit would change with Xbox and the company aquiring them. These electronics companys would look to it like this and say: WOW, we get 10% of every game sold and people pay us 60$ a year without producing any Hadrware, this is awesome. Lets invest more into this brand.

Their mains bussinesses isnt as profitable as you think espacially since they are easily replacable by cheaper chinese companys which SAMSUNG is effected for example. XBOX or PlayStation arent replacable 

So Samsung buys the Xbox brand, opens a "Xbox" software store and the developers will come and beg them to develop for this new platform and offer exclusive deals? And the gamers will buy a (probably unsubsidized) compatible device from Samsung or licensed partners and are eager to pay a $60 subscription?

That all sounds soooo easy. They had to invest billions first to offer a proper platform with enough content and there is no guarantee that later profits would be enough to balance out that investment.

Samsung tried and failed several times to get a popular alternative to Google Play on Android devices. Even the Amazon AppStore is a money hole and still ain't accepted by many developers. Nvidia didn't even try to make its own Android store, they depend on a few Tegra-exclusives within Google Play.

It is almost impossible to enter susscessful in the oversaturated video game market with a new platform nowadays with no/few unique selling points, even for big companies like Samsung. Things have changed since the Nineties.

ghettoglamour said:
The OP described my situation exactly. I was waiting till the Xbox gets an edition with a reasonable size to buy the X1 as a secondary console, only to play a couple of exclusives.

But now I don't really know if I should wait for scorpio or not... I mean I don't know the price either, won't pay a high price for a console I don't plan to play regularely.

If Scorpio is more powerful than Neo and most games run/look better, wouldn't you play most games on that?

Around the Network
Jranation said:

I think MS is trying to combine Xbox and Windows together.

And I think both versions has different target audience.

And the Xbox One S could mean that the original Xbox will cost lesser sooooo YAY! 

You think?  Lol everyone already knows that. 

Doesn't make much sense to me. Scorpio will cost maybe $600 and minimum $500. That is for those who also buy consoles early and not years after release. Those who buy consoles years after release don't see Scorpio and are like "ohh yeah, I will buy this thing next year even though I waited years to buy an XBO because I have no money to spend that much"

XBO Slim is for those who want to replace their old XBO or for those who don't want to spend that much for a console. it's also good for those who play only from time to time but want an UHD player because paying 300 for an XBO Slim which can do that will be a good option for some people. Scorpio is for those who want to spend much for a console and who take power very serious (not too many care so much about that but for those there is the Scorpio)

So yeah, XBO Slim would maybe sell a little bit better without Scorpio announcement but really only a little bit. Not to forget that even if some people will wait for Scorpio to buy that instead, MS won't complain. MS won't die from selling a few thousand consoles less this year and sell those more next year instead...

I also doubt that MS will exit the gaming market anytime soon  and

"The biggest issue is whether Microsoft will even have a game division by the time Project Scorpio launched" 

sounds like bullshit to me. 

"Microsoft killed Xbox Slim out of the gate" Pretty sure Amazon tells a different story.

Proud to be a Californian.

90% of the buyers will not hear about Scorpio until MS decides to let them know through an ad-campaign. And the other 10% who know about Scorpio knows that it will launch with a much higher price tag and it will target a specific audience. I know it's easy to kick a product that's struggling but at least do it intelligently.

Ruler said:

I dont think so, they are alienating both PC and Console gamers with their current direction.

Console gamers arent happy because they see how the Xbox is losing its exclusives and they question why they even own one at this point, and how they have to pay for online.

PC gamers arent happy because the windows store games peform very badly and they limit freedoms which are essiantial to PC gaming. Like Moding and even running two GPUs to get more performance isnt possible on windows store games

What utter BS. 99% of gamers don't give a crap whether what they play is exlusive or not. PC gamers currently have the best of all worlds, they get to choose how they purchase, whether that is steam, Disk or through the MS Store. You seem to be have a seriously weird and tainted look on how the world works.