By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DFC: Microsoft has killed the Xbox One Slim right out of the gate. Microsoft set to leave the Console Hardware Market?

The OP described my situation exactly. I was waiting till the Xbox gets an edition with a reasonable size to buy the X1 as a secondary console, only to play a couple of exclusives.

But now I don't really know if I should wait for scorpio or not... I mean I don't know the price either, won't pay a high price for a console I don't plan to play regularely.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network
UltimateGamer1982 said:
Xbox will be fine. Maybe not as good as Sony but it'll do fine.

Xbox > PlayStation Portable 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I think they are in effect kinda throwing in the towel with the XBox One, but y'know I think it's for the best.

One of the big problems companies have is not recognizing when to move on from failure, they made too many mistakes with the XBOne, better to get a jump on Sony with Scorpio even if it means poor XB1 sales for a year.

XB1 can still serve the role of the cheaper/entry level model.

ghettoglamour said:
The OP described my situation exactly. I was waiting till the Xbox gets an edition with a reasonable size to buy the X1 as a secondary console, only to play a couple of exclusives.

But now I don't really know if I should wait for scorpio or not... I mean I don't know the price either, won't pay a high price for a console I don't plan to play regularely.

I think you just answered your own question. Unless you're planning on buying all your 3rd party games on the Scorpio if you get one and skipping the PSneo.

CGI-Quality said:
Keepin' a close eye, here, but I will say, I'm seeing a lot of negative Xbox Topics lately (and this isn't just a VGC thing, either). Feels as if they're damned no matter what they choose to do.

My take - the Slim is a Day 1 buy (barring the Gears system) and the Scorpio will get my attention if any exclusives are headed its way.

Im seeing the same people as well....... Whether its an opinion or just reporting from a source or just commenting on the thread. 

Well its good for them for following the news on whats happenin with MS. Its better to get talked about (even hate comments) than not getting talked about. An example of this is like the Wii U and the PSvita. One is getting talked about including hate comments while the other isnt. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Well like Sony is third console the Xone has failed to do what it was built for. Which is making pretty big ammounts of money. But if the console's industry is one thing than it is changeable. The X2 could outperform the PS5, lime the 360 did against PS3, it was surely a more bennificial console than the PS3.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Just like I said in the other thread someone made about this article, right after you announced two brand new consoles really seems like the perfect time to leave the console business.

I don't remember much talk about Sony killing PS4 sales by confirming the PS4k exists. People seem to understand there that the consoles cater to different people.

It will be a $300 game console that also plays UHD movies. There will be a good market for it.

Ruler said:

I really hope that MS sells off the Xbox brand to an electornics company like SAMSUNG, Dell, Lenovo or HP that has nothing to do with windows or any other ecosystem which could interrupt with the console brand.

Let's say Microsoft sells off the Xbox brand to Samsung, Dell, Lenovo or HP end of this year... what happens then?

Do they have an army of talented developers already working on AAA titles in secret?Do they even have experience in the video game sector (both Sony and Microsoft had roots in that sector, even before they launched their first own consoles).

Do they snip with their finger and can pump out a lot of great exclusives each year? Will they put all their efforts in a low-profit sector like video games instead of their main business? Won't they be tempted to get their games on other platforms if the acceptance of their own platform is below expectations?

If Samsung really had ambitions to enter the home console market with exclusive titles... wouldn't they at least test the waters with a few first party mobile games, similar to Amazon Game Studios (perhaps exclusive for Tizen or Samsung devices)?

Conina said:
Ruler said:

I really hope that MS sells off the Xbox brand to an electornics company like SAMSUNG, Dell, Lenovo or HP that has nothing to do with windows or any other ecosystem which could interrupt with the console brand.

Let's say Microsoft sells off the Xbox brand to Samsung, Dell, Lenovo or HP end of this year... what happens then?

Do they have an army of talented developers already working on AAA titles in secret?Do they even have experience in the video game sector (both Sony and Microsoft had roots in that sector, even before they launched their first own consoles).

Do they snip with their finger and can pump out a lot of great exclusives each year? Will they put all their efforts in a low-profit sector like video games instead of their main business? Won't they be tempted to get their games on other platforms if the acceptance of their own platform is below expectations?

If Samsung really had ambitions to enter the home console market with exclusive titles... wouldn't they at least test the waters with a few first party mobile games, similar to Amazon Game Studios (perhaps exclusive for Tizen or Samsung devices)?

In fact, Microsoft can allow any manufacturer to launch hardware Xbox compatible, with their OS and Store in it. They don't even need to stop making their own hardware. I've been saying that MS can choose to follow the MS Surface model, making the hardware of reference and let partners to make cheaper, o more powerful and expensive hardware, while they control and sell the software.

Tim and The Princes...

LudicrousSpeed said:
Just like I said in the other thread someone made about this article, right after you announced two brand new consoles really seems like the perfect time to leave the console business.

I don't remember much talk about Sony killing PS4 sales by confirming the PS4k exists. People seem to understand there that the consoles cater to different people.

It will be a $300 game console that also plays UHD movies. There will be a good market for it.

yeah but Sony hasnt invested in a Slim model for the regular PS4. This costs a lot of R&D money espacially for.

Conina said:
Ruler said:

You cant change everything over night but i a gurentee you the entire spirit would change with Xbox and the company aquiring them. These electronics companys would look to it like this and say: WOW, we get 10% of every game sold and people pay us 60$ a year without producing any Hadrware, this is awesome. Lets invest more into this brand.

Their mains bussinesses isnt as profitable as you think espacially since they are easily replacable by cheaper chinese companys which SAMSUNG is effected for example. XBOX or PlayStation arent replacable