By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mighty No. 9 bombs in Metacritic

So...?

I saw this coming 132 61.40%

I'm dissapointed 45 20.93%

This looks good to me 15 6.98%

OOPS! 23 10.70%

Total:215

After turning into the most succesful kickstarter ever and creating a ton of hype, things were not looking good for this game in the last year, bad artstyle, suspicious practices and constant delays were killing the hype and now finally the game is out and critics are NOT feeling it.

Metactritic: 60 (PS4)  58 (XBO)  53 (PC)

Some examples:

- Jimquisition: Much like an anime fan on prom night, I would rather be at home playing Mega Man than here. I would rather be playing Shovel Knight. I would rather be playing most games in this genre...Mighty No. 9? More like Shitey No. 9! 4/10

- Destructoid: 
It still has a lot of baggage to unload (the 3DS and Vita ports aren't even dated yet), but most Mega Man fans will find solace in the fact that it didn't end up being a disaster. Other than the art style, of course. 6.5/10

- IGN: 
Despite its pedigree, Mighty No. 9 doesn’t seem to have a good sense of what was fun about Mega Man, or 2D action-platformers in general. There are brief moments where its pieces come together, but even then it’s hamstrung by its visually joyless art and animation. The soul of the Blue Bomber just isn’t here, and worse yet there’s no endearing personality of its own, and as a result, Mighty No. 9 feels much more like a second-rate imposter than a spiritual successor. 5.6/10

- GameSpot: Mighty No. 9 is an inoffensively average game sprung from the memories of the past, with little to show for its position in the present. 5/10

It seems like this is not a story with a happy ending, thoughts? Were you interested in getting this one? Could this potentially ruin a bit the image of kickstarter projects in the future? Do you think critics are being too harsh with it? Do you think all games should have explosions that look like pizza from now on?

Around the Network

Well the gameplay looked quite mediocre so I'm not surprised.

Ouch.

Yeah I didnt think this would score 9-10s... but 4-5 is lower than I thought it would get.

The writing was on the wall.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

So much for the legacy of mega man. Damn. This game ruined it.

I'm surprised it's not lower than that. There were so many red flags around the entire production.

God damn, after all the time and delays this game took to come out too.

you could easily make an argument that Mighty No. 9 is the worst game we have ever seen this generation. It already took money from people through the kickstarter, it was delayed at least 3 times, the visuals look terrible, the gameplay looks bad, and now apparently it doesnt even resemble the game it was supposed to be a spiritual successor for.

and yes I know there are joke games out there that are pretty terrible, but this one actually tried, and at least the joke games didnt take a few million dollars just to flop

Has it been released already??

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.