By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Opinion: Gears 4 And Scalebound Don't Look Too Good

Scalebound looked genuinely bad to me from the first trailer I saw of it d: having the protagonist wear tacky headphones was the first red flag that this wasn't a game aimed at me.

Gears doesn't look bad though, at least as someone that is fond of the franchise and knows what to expect. Probably won't have the chance to play it unfortunately

Around the Network

Scalebound looked soooo boring! Something about the gameplay was just really plain and bad. The animations were lame and they just sat there mashing attacks forever.

Gears has always been subpar imo

The first trailer they showed for Gears of War 4 had atmosphere. Horror like atmosphere, which was very very interesting. But the game they showed this time looks like more Gears with with its known flavor of chest high walls. Which is fine for people who want more Gears of War.

I can't give an opinion on Scalebounds's gameplay yet because it was the first gameplay footage I saw. They most likely got off the dragon and used weaker attacks to demonstrate as many aspects of the gameplay they can all during one short Demo. The art direction and how the boss was moving with its crab like claws and joints was all beautiful and I liked it. But you know what I don't like about it? Platinum games and their whole shtick with intentionally stupid characters, story and how their games control.

.- -... -.-. -..

Gears' dialogue was indeed awful. The E3 demo in general didn't really impress me. Just felt like more Gears. Think I'm more interested in the MP this time around.

Don't have much nice to say about Scalebound. Nice concept, lousy execution.

Jury's out on Sea of Thieves, but I do think Recore and FH3 look great. Recore in particular feels pretty nostalgic.

Around the Network

I pretty much agree with you on Gears 4. The initial feel of the game when it was announced seemed quite good. However, the recent gameplay they did was very underwhelming and entirely unconvincing.

As for Scalebound...I don't know if it's just because you ride a dragon around or what but I still think it looks good. The dialogue felt like how it usually does with Eastern developers; cheesy yet enduring (reminds me of Final Fantasy dialogue). I did think that what they showed looked way to easy but we've seen it time and time again at conferences like E3 where the game is demoed on the absolutely easiest difficulty to ensure they don't die while trying to show the game off. I would be willing to bet the final game will have multiple difficulty's and offer a challenge for a variety of gamers.

MTZehvor said:
Don't hate me too much, but I'm kind of hoping Scalebound bombs so Platinum goes back to making hack and slash games. They're the only developer on the market that consistently makes good hack and slash titles...

No, Santa Monica Studio and Ninja Theory have always created great hack and slash games. Platinum has not. There Anarchy Reigns and various licensed games have all been bad, but they did a good job with Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising.

Gears 4 looked like Gears and the graphics looked top notched. Gameplay wise it looked like any Gears game so no issue there.

For Scalebound, I believe the problem with it was that no big boss fight looks fun. Even worst since its 4 player co-op so the whole think looked boring but probably is a lot more fun when playing with your buds. I am still on the fence for Scalebound and I am hoping to see more Singleplayer action for the next conference.

pretty much agree. scalebound looked bad and gears looked bad. gears is probably the bigger disappointment though since it has a long history of excellence.

I thought they looked okay. Gears look like, well, Gears if the stages were next to a jet engine. Scalebound looked lavish with the huge monsters. But, considering Platinum's track record these days, my expectations are lowered.