By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo of America: "Grab a Wii U while you can"

greenmedic88 said:
Hope the NX has BC. If not, there's always Ebay for vintage gaming.

It's extremely unlikely that the NX will have BC. Part of the reason for the odd architectural choices with the Wii U was for BC. They could have gotten something cheaper and more powerful from AMD. Even a first gen APU would have had more power than the Wii U chipset.

Around the Network
zippy said:
To me this implies that there will be no Wii U backward compatibility with NX.

It does sound like it from the way he talked about it. As much as I'd like it, I really think the NX might skip BC.

No thanks, Y'all can keep it....

Jk, I'm just too poor to pick up a console for collection sake atm

Darc Requiem said:
greenmedic88 said:
Hope the NX has BC. If not, there's always Ebay for vintage gaming.

It's extremely unlikely that the NX will have BC. Part of the reason for the odd architectural choices with the Wii U was for BC. They could have gotten something cheaper and more powerful from AMD. Even a first gen APU would have had more power than the Wii U chipset.

I'm over 90% inclined to agree with this. It's doubtful the NX will have the raw processing power to run Wii U instruction sets in emulation and there isn't a huge incentive for Nintendo to spend too many resources for BC on a platform with such a low following.

It's a nice pipe dream though. I skipped the GC and ended up buying a bunch of old GC games when I bought a Wii. I've skipped the Wii U so far and would have picked up several Wii U games if they played on the NX. 

Wii U is fantastic console that hosts some of the best games this generation. I dislike the way Nintendo has handled its final year and think they could have given a bit more content for Wii U owners to fill in the many months before NX launches. I was adamant I was not buying an NX, but Im starting to become more curious about it, I hope Nintendo can sway me to a definate. If not there is always the next handheld for my Nintendo fix. I shall be keeping my Wii U as there is still stuff I want to play, plus a lot of Wii games I never got around to playing too. At least I get to play Zelda BOTW, because if the NX doesnt blow me away I can get it for my trusty U.

Around the Network

My advice to anyone considering this is wait for the NX.

Does this confirms no backwards compatibility?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

I'm waiting until the console starts getting heavily discounted at retail either during the holidays or early next year once the NX's release date is finalized.

Then I'll be picking up two... one to use, and one to keep sealed for down the road ;)

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Not for that price. Maybe when it gets down to $199.

"Though I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be 'a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept,' it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple 'replacement' for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U," Iwata explained.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-s-new-console-nx-is-not-a-simple-replacem/1100-6427326/

"we will be transitioning production to NX"

Complete 180 degree turn, but we all saw it coming