By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo of America: "Grab a Wii U while you can"

zippy said:
To me this implies that there will be no Wii U backward compatibility with NX.

How? It doesn't mention that at all. If anything, if the "hybrid" rumors are true, NX will have a Gamepad type controller, and it would make perfect sense for it to at least play Wii U discs. I also hope that they carry over the e-shop, and improve it, so that you can re-download digital games you already bought on Wii U (or even 3DS), on NX as well.

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
zippy said:
To me this implies that there will be no Wii U backward compatibility with NX.

How? It doesn't mention that at all. If anything, if the "hybrid" rumors are true, NX will have a Gamepad type controller, and it would make perfect sense for it to at least play Wii U discs. I also hope that they carry over the e-shop, and improve it, so that you can re-download digital games you already bought on Wii U (or even 3DS), on NX as well.

I would guess that Nintendo won't repeat a huge mistake tha cost them in sales  and money ( for almost two years )! What they can do, is the next handheld console to be what wii u gamepad was for the wii u, with the difference of not being mandatory to have it, like in the case of the wii u!!

Gamepad is costly and inflated wii u price by 100-110$...

If NX doesn't have BC, it's something that Nintendo should have already cite it! Wii u's sudden and huge dive in sales, ( mom and yoy) after NX release date announcemnt, is a result of the fear of wasting money by purchasing a wii u, if you can play wii u games on NX!

Ljink96 said:
Man, Wii U is definitely Sega's Dreamcast.

I'd disagree and say it's actually their Sega Saturn; a niche curiosity with some software gems but which got practically everything wrong from a design and management perspective.

RolStoppable said:
Nintendo's forecast for worldwide shipments implied as much.

Still, Nintendo is very upfront about how quickly they will move on from Wii U lately. First that Aonuma quote, now this... *dances on the Wii U's grave*

Just to add to this post, Aqua pointed at the latest NPD thread that from the 800k Wii U's forecast, ~700k were already in their inventory, so production has almost ended completely.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Ljink96 said:

I'd disagree and say it's actually their Sega Saturn; a niche curiosity with some software gems but which got practically everything wrong from a design and management perspective.

I'd say it's even worse than the Saturn.

And yet they insist that NX isn't replacing the Wii U. Come on, get your story straight.

jason1637 said:
think-man said:
Drop the price of your games Nintendo, you price your games too high for someone like me that wants to experiment with new titles.

It's crazy because SSB Melee is $50 at Gamestop yesterday. 

It's crazy, I will never pay full price for a franchise I haven't tried before. So i end up buying most my games on ps4 cause they have amazing sales and I can try like 3 games for the price of one nintendo game lol. Not only that over here in Australia the WiiU pre owned section has like 2-3 titles lol either no one is buying the games or people never trade in. ps4 and x1 on the other hand have 100's of pre owned games.

Nintendo needs to slow down on the mixed messaging.

"Don't worry, the WiiU will co-exist with the NX, but hurry and buy one!"

WTF?!

curl-6 said:
Ljink96 said:

But Saturn's hardware and software library aren't going to be remembered for something great. Saturn was a 2D machine at its best. That tried to do 3D games. It didn't know what it wanted to be. Wii U much like Dreamcast had a goal in mind but were placed too close to hardware that would easily overshadow it. Saturn had like a few good games on it. Dreamcast, although it didn't have many, had a much better software library than the Saturn. Off the top of my head I can name Panzer, maybe Sonic R, Grandia, Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Burning Rangers, Bug...and that;s all I got for USA. I'm sure I could dig for more...ugh, Nights maybe. Dreamcast had Sonic Adventure 1/2, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Jet Set Radio, I mean I could go on. By Wii U being dreamcast, I mean it's good hardware and good software that were easily overshadowed but offered some amazing content. Not only was Saturn overshadowed, it offered little good content.