By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Finding Dory to be yet another billion dollar film for Disney this year? 1 billion! Eat it haterz! If there were some.....

It's already out in the US? I have to wait until Sep 29 to see it in Germany! That sucks! I absolutely LOVE Dory! =/

And yeah, Disney makes a ton of money, but it has always been that way.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
d21lewis said:

Inside Out?

It was fine I guess...honestly (except for Toy Story 3) WALL-E marks for me the end of PIXAR's golden age (minus Cars)....not saying that movies that came after were bad, I liked most of them, but for me  they somehow lost their touch.

I agree. A lot of Pixar's films are entertaining but nowadays I wouldn't put them on a pedestal compared to DreamWorks, Illumination and Disney.

WALL-E (2008) was also the last memorable Pixar film for me (Inside Out had moments though).

For me the best animation studios (full length movies) of all time are still Studio Ghibli and Walt Disney Animation (pre 2000).

Walt Disney Animation hasn't made anything memorable for me after 2000. People compare Frozen to Beauty and the Beast and I just don't get it. Frozen didn't do anything that I hadn't seen many times before.

I always thought the first Toy Story, Bugs Life (oh, how I hated that movie), and Monsters Inc were a little overrated. They were just doing things that nobody else was doing at the time. I loved Toy Story 2, Wall E, Up, Nemo, the Incredibles, etc.

I think the problem is we just got older and used to it. We're just harder to please nowadays.

My ranking

1. Up
2. Toy Story 3
3. Wall-E
4. Inside Out
5. Toy Story
-------------
6. Incredibles
7. Monsters, Inc.
8. Finding Nemo
9. Monsters University
10. Ratatouille
11. Toy Story 2
12. Finding Dory
13. Brave
14. Bug's Life
---------------
15. Cars
16. Cars 2

* I have not seen "The Good Dinosaur"

Rank these as great, good, and "Cars".

Mike_L said:
HoloDust said:

It was fine I guess...honestly (except for Toy Story 3) WALL-E marks for me the end of PIXAR's golden age (minus Cars)....not saying that movies that came after were bad, I liked most of them, but for me  they somehow lost their touch.

I agree. A lot of Pixar's films are entertaining but nowadays I wouldn't put them on a pedestal compared to DreamWorks, Illumination and Disney.

WALL-E (2008) was also the last memorable Pixar film for me (Inside Out had moments though).

For me the best animation studios (full length movies) of all time are still Studio Ghibli and Walt Disney Animation (pre 2000).

Walt Disney Animation hasn't made anything memorable for me after 2000. People compare Frozen to Beauty and the Beast and I just don't get it. Frozen didn't do anything that I hadn't seen many times before.

I still find PIXAR to be overall the best company making 3D animated movies, I just think they're playing it a bit too safe - maybe that's Disney's fault, who knows.

d21lewis said:
I always thought the first Toy Story, Bugs Life (oh, how I hated that movie), and Monsters Inc were a little overrated. They were just doing things that nobody else was doing at the time. I loved Toy Story 2, Wall E, Up, Nemo, the Incredibles, etc.

I think the problem is we just got older and used to it. We're just harder to please nowadays.

I'm not sure about getting older part - there are still 3D animated movies that I really loved after 2007 - Surfs Up, Horton Hears a Who!, Despicable Me 1,  How to Train your Dragon 1, Tangled, Rango, The LEGO Movie...as I said, I just think PIXAR started playing too safe.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Mike_L said:

I still find PIXAR to be overall the best company making 3D animated movies, I just think they're playing it a bit too safe - maybe that's Disney's fault, who knows.

d21lewis said:

I'm not sure about getting older part - there are still 3D animated movies that I really loved after 2007 - Surfs Up, Horton Hears a Who!, Despicable Me 1,  How to Train your Dragon 1, Tangled, Rango, The LEGO Movie...as I said, I just think PIXAR started playing too safe.

I'm with you. I still love tons of animated movies. In a way, Disney, DreamWorks, etc have caught up with Pixar in terms of quality (fidelity, animation).

I think phrased it wrong. I think Pixar's legacy of being incredible every single time is because they were so ahead of the curve. If it weren't for the cutting edge technology, some of their films would have ranked considerably lower. Some of their stories were weak.

The Kung Fu Panda series, How to Train Your Dragon, Shrek 2, Tangled, etc are right up there with Pixar in terms of being "the total package" in my opinion.

The overseas numbers are still not that impressive but since it doesn't release in Germany until September 29 it going to make overseas revenue well past October. It should pass Shrek 2 as the highest grossing animated movie domestically if not it will at least make over $400 million domestically.

My oldest son loved it, went their with school. (They were bribed with candy and popcorn :p)
Ofcourse it's a must buy for me on blu-ray or 4K.

Another Ice Age again?

Ugh I saw this movie and it was NOT good. Sad

I can't wait to see this. Finding Nemo is pretty much responsible for my love of the ocean.