By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dead Rising 4: W10 Exclusive for 90 days, console exclusive for 1 year

I wonder, seriously, how many PS4 gamers will shun this game based on it's timed exclusivity? I think this is a real thing, I just wonder what the actual numbers would be. I don't see it moving any consoles for MS either. So basically, no upshot for MS, just money wasted, and a possible detriment to Capcom, which may or may not be offset by the $$$ involved n the deal. I'm a bit tipsy right now, so please be gentle.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Feels like timed exclusives are the norm these days for both Microsoft and Sony. Seems rather silly, do people really buy consoles based on timed exclusives?

... yes? 

If I really like a game, it would suck to have to wait a year to play it because I don't have the right console. 

Bandorr said:
COKTOE said:
I wonder, seriously, how many PS4 gamers will shun this game based on it's timed exclusivity? I think this is a real thing, I just wonder what the actual numbers would be. I don't see it moving any consoles for MS either. So basically, no upshot for MS, just money wasted, and a possible detriment to Capcom, which may or may not be offset by the $$$ involved n the deal. I'm a bit tipsy right now, so please be gentle.

I think there is a good chance people will forget about it. I mean a year is a long time. We are only 6 months in and I keep forgetting that ROTR comes out on the ps4 this year.

Yeah. I'm lucky enough to have a big backlog, so factor that into my personal stance. ROTR is barely on my radar at this point. UC4, an arguably (probably) better game from the same genre, is likely months aways from being played by me. It doesn't mean I won't buy ROTR, but it does lessen the chance, and it will probably be a sale buy. Like $30 tops. I think these timed exclusives are more often than not, detrimental to both parties, especially when being done on a console in a distant second or third place. The same thing happening on PS4 has a better chance of success.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Bandorr said:
COKTOE said:

I think there is a good chance people will forget about it. I mean a year is a long time. We are only 6 months in and I keep forgetting that ROTR comes out on the ps4 this year.

How in the FUCK did this post again WITHOUT my response, after the post with the response? I only responded once..... Love how I can't delete it as well.

I dont like the whole idea of timed exclusives. Make it exclusive or make it multiplat - simple.

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:

In the coming 'war' it will be Windows 10 Store VS Steam.  There is something unsettling about dividing up PC into exclusives by OS and storefront.   In the end, I think Microsoft's real target was Steam all along. 

I think for a number of years now MS hasn't been after Steam, they have been admiring Apple's gardening plans, in which Apple have a very popular brand and a popular garden plan that allows them to remain where they are while making boatloads of money without competition being able to topple them let alone get them to do what the competition are doing. To Apple they are always seen as the apprent "inventors", MS clearly wants to be in that position where they own a giant garden where they control things, where competition can't force them to budge and where competition has to follow them.

I'm not really surprised at their OS divide plan since getting people onto Win 10, X1 and anything MS related just adds to the private garden Apple style. I'm pretty sure most giant corporations strive for that style of utopia since it greatly benefits them but not us if we choose to leave the garden. 

I can easily see DR4 coming to Steam but with a catch that all users on Steam have to use Windows 10 in order to play it. According to Steam there are more Windows 10 users so it wouldn't surprise me tosee MS commanding Steam users towards their latest OS and into the garden.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

COKTOE said:
Bandorr said:

How in the FUCK did this post again WITHOUT my response, after the post with the response? I only responded once..... Love how I can't delete it as well.

I think that it have something to do with the Forum's points, if we were able to delet something so someone could generate Infinite points without the control of the Moderators.

KingofTrolls said:
I dont like the whole idea of timed exclusives. Make it exclusive or make it multiplat - simple.

I completely agree.

Turkish said:
No one will care about this game on PS4 a year later, people will have played it elsewhere or just won't care about it anymore.

That's bullshit.

Soundwave said:
Johnw1104 said:
Feels like timed exclusives are the norm these days for both Microsoft and Sony. Seems rather silly, do people really buy consoles based on timed exclusives?

... yes? 

If I really like a game, it would suck to have to wait a year to play it because I don't have the right console. 

Ah, that's why I asked. There's almost no chance I'd pick a console based on a timed exclusive personally... I can't think of a scenario where that alone would sway me.