By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets face it, 4k is a Scam

Just this morning i got the chamce of going to a store that allowed me play some 4k content on two identical 50" TVs with the dfferemce being that one was a 4k Tv and the other a 1080p TV. And i found out something shocking. 4k is really a scam.

Now i have 20/20 vision, and i was initially standing around 10ft from the TVs and I could just not see the difference between the two images. Absolutely none at all. NOTHING. So i started invhing closer to the TVs. When i got to around 5ft, i still couldn't see the difference, but at this point, if i squinted really hard i could kimda syart making out the individual pixels on the 1080p TV. But this required that I fovus on a partivular point on the screen and squint superhard to see them. 

Now i feel that like 3D, 4k is ome of those hyped up things from a different display doctrine that has just unnesecerily made its way to the consumer TV space. 

On a PC, sitting less than 3ft from a monitor and staring at a 27-32" screen i can clearly see why 4k could be better, barely than say a 1400p monitor. But at 10ft, its just useless.

And i typically use a 110" 1080p screen at home, sitting at 10ft, and even then i could hardly make out thr pixels unless im looking at a pure white screen and focus at a point and squint. 

Please discuss..... I am beginnig to think this is jist a collective brain wash to make people upgrade their TVs. 

Around the Network

The consumer will be hard pressed to upgrade in mass to this new product. Honestly the next progression for TV really is making it do more, not look better at this stage. Hence I believe Smart TVs are taking off for the last couple of years.

It depends on the quality of the TVs. Also, bear in mind that most stores have the settings all screwed up to make things "pop" more in the store with their lighting and thus you aren't getting the same experience you would get at home.

4k looks much better than 1080, especially at 50+ inches, with the proper settings. Having experienced it myself in a non-store environment, I feel comfortable saying that.

3D in fairness is quite different and provides an experience. 4K is a natural progression in tech, but it has been blown way out of proportion in importance. It's more of a behind the scenes upgrade that should have simply been phased in. Like 400 hz V 120 hz. The difference is, on paper, massive, but for the end user, it's minimal.

It will make a difference at 50+ inches, but when you are paying for a TV, it shouldn't be 1080 p v 4K. It should just become the new norm. Paying more makes little sense.

I don't have 20/20 and I can see easily a difference. But HDR is much more useful to increase the wow effect as 1080p -> 4k. That's why people should really look at their TV to have HDR when they buy a 4K TV in the future. HDR is much more important for how useful their 4K TV will be the next years as the higher resolution will be. 

HDR really blows your mind if you see it. 

Around the Network

4k definitely looks much better than 1080p. I was amazed when I first saw a high quality image in a 4k TV.

I have a 55" curved 4k tv. When it has 4k content on it, I can tell the difference.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

I can tell the difference, it's not a scam... you just have to judge whether you actually need one based on the size of tv you can fit in your room and how far away you sit from it... most probably don't need it though.

a 50" tv you need to be within 1.8m to notice a difference... so yeah if you're going 4k you have to go Big because I bet most people sit at least 2.5m away. Unless you're getting a massive tv it's generally not worth it.

4K is a scam... Xbox Scorpio supports 4K...

Xbox Scorpio is a scam!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

BasilZero said:

Xbox One S!

Dat S makes sense now!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"