By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets face it, 4k is a Scam

m0ney said:
1080p content looks like 1080p content no matter if you watch it on 4k or 8k or 32k or gadzillion k

That's not really true. If you have proper intelligence in your upscaling, 1080p will always look better on a 4k TV.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

In a way it is. You need a huge TV to notice the difference... and they are super expensive. Diminishing returns on the human eye.

20/20? And can't see the difference? Then maybe it was a low quality picture you viewed or cheap models. I can definitely see a difference with my 4k tv vs my 1080p tv. And the viewing distance thing may be a bit wrong, no matter what the distance is, my 4k tv still puts out a noticeable difference in quality.

Not a scam at all.

Mixed reactions as expected. But one thing everyone seems to agree on and i said this in my original post, is that it depends on size and distance.

At about 10ft, on both 50" TVs calibrated using settings i copied from AVS forums, i couldn't tell the difference on the same pictured images doing a "shut eye test" (shut your eyes fir 5 secs then open it and see which image pops)

Going to around 5ft i could see the difference in displays, the 1080p starting to show a screendoor effect on scrutiny. You could start making out the pixels but the 4k TV still looked as clesr as it was at 10ft.

At about 3ft away the pixel on the 1080p were absolutely clear, sharp even.... and i could start making them out on the 4k tv.

This is why i say its a scam, its totally dependent on the size of your tv and the distance you sit from it. Its not like i'm not getting or going to get a 4k tv (or projector since i don't do TVs) and for me it would be even more useful since my screen size is in the 110" range. Just something i noticed.

And pls, those here that wanna derail this thread and start talking about neo or scorpio and all that nonsense please just stop.

Both TVs were 2015 Sony TVs by the way. I didnt play videos it was a selection of images  

Chevinator123 said:
Isnt jaggies more present in a game then movies though? so 4k would benefit games more then movie?

Yes, aliasing is a much smaller problem in 4k which means it's nice for games. 

Around the Network

Calling it a scam is weird. Its the natural progression of screens. One could argue that at this point, for most people, its completely pointless.

But how can you say it's a scam when you clearly pointed out the advantages?
That's like saying a GTX 1080 is a scam because it has only noticeable frame advantages in certain games and resolutions.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

No, it's not a scam, it's either your eyes or the image shown on the screens. There is a huge difference between these two resolution. 4k isn't just 4 times higher in resolution as 1080p for nothing.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I do have 20/20 vision and I have seen 55 inch 1080p vs 4k and I can certainly tell the difference. Idk how you cannot...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Acevil said:
The consumer will be hard pressed to upgrade in mass to this new product. Honestly the next progression for TV really is making it do more, not look better at this stage. Hence I believe Smart TVs are taking off for the last couple of years.

What is funny is that just buying a "dumb" TV and either using a blu ray player or streaming stick makes it into a "smart" TV for the most part (besides maybe surfing the internet which is slow and pointless on a TV anyways).  "Smart" TVs are a rip off if you ask me.