By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone honestly planning on buying the Neo or Scorpio? [POLL]

What do you plan to get?

Neo 124 38.39%

Scorpio 41 12.69%

Both 12 3.72%

None 146 45.20%

Total:323

Only future will tell. But if I buy a new console it will be PS4 Neo.

Around the Network

Keeping an eye on them. To be honest, I see this as more of an opportunity to pick up another console on the second hand market cheap.

I already own a PC. So Neo. And it can't come soon enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Intrinsic said:
SvennoJ said:

My Panasonic projector is great, unfortunately I do see the rainbow effect with DLP projectors. I've been waiting for Panasonic to make a move, although Epson has recentely surpassed them in the 1080p 3lcd range by getting THX certified. Both only have non native solutions for now, shifting pixels around to simulate 4K. Maybe at CES 2017 something new will pop up.

Ouch.... I think i lucked out never seeing the rainbow effect; and as they say once you see it you can never stop seeing it lol.

Yh I'm also banking on CES 2017..... Do you have an ALR screen? If you dont you should really really really consider getting one. It compleyely changes rhe game, you won't have to put off your lights to Use your projector. And it also helps against visual articfacts like the rainbow effect. 

I was considering a panny (primarily for its lens memory function for 2.32:1 content) but cheaped out and settled for an BenQ 1070. Now I'm looking at short throw laser projectors :(

hopefully to be paired with an screen innovations black diamond zero edge ST ALR screen..... you should check out vids of those online. That shit is like magic. Expensive magic though.

I'm using a fixed Clarion screen, not sure what type it is anymore. It was expensive, $1500 in 2007. It looks great with the Panasonic projector. Ambient light is not a big problem but I prefer it pretty dark anyway, nothing but a big screen in front of you :)
With a new projector it might be a good idea to match a new screen with it. That zero edge screen opens up possibilities of going bigger without having to move the front speakers. I might move them a few inches anyway (wall mounted) to go up to 100" diagonal.

Anyway looking forward to ces 2017 then some showrooms to see them in action.

Much like VR, I don't know. I need more information before making a decision.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
binary solo said:
Planning? not quite. Contemplating, yes. My son lives out of town for University and he doesn't nave a PS4, but he part owns my PS4 at home. So I'm considering giving him our current PS4 and picking up Neo. But price definitely factors into whether or when this will happen.

That sounds reasonable.

Turkish said:

Yes I am honestly planning on buying the Neo and maybe the Scorpio.

I just want my games to look more shinier and run smoother which is exactly what Neo will do.

God of War and Horizon on Neo=jaws will be dropped

That is if they can run current gen open world games at 60 fps. If not then why even bother?

I just gave you a reason why to bother, read my post.

Downsampling from a higher resolution, better AA, better effects and of course a more stable 30fps is all I need to consider one.

I'll probably do the next major upgrade of my PC next year, but while it will have at least 16GB DDR4 RAM to handle heavier "serious" work than my current one, and it will have much more powerful graphics, it will exceed plain PS4 graphics by a tiny amount and it won't be even close to 4k, so it's even less likely I'd look for such performances in a console. For my value for money parameters, VR and 4k are 9th gen console or second next major PC upgrade stuff, mid-8th gen is too early. Besides pure HW value for money, I even suspect that mid-gen console updates capabilities will end up being underused, due to the need to keep new games compatible with plain 8th gen consoles too, unless a very well scalable engine is used or even two versions of the game are provided.
Naturally I'll start experimenting with VR even sooner if VR peripherals prices will drop early enough, possibly accepting compromises on resolution and graphics FX level to keep frame rate high enough to not get seasickness, headache or eye strain.

PS By the way, I initially thought VR would have become cheap around 10th gen, or at earliest mid-9th gen, but now, after this mid 8th-gen VR upgrade, I think there are good probabilities it will happen sooner, thanks to MS, Sony, Facebook, Samsung and others investing on it more than pioneer VR companies could ever do without1 big corporate hefty funds.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

BlkPaladin said:
Scisca said:
I have a gaming PC, so I'll get the Neo at some point down the road to catch up on the exclusives, but only when it's dirt cheap and near its end.

Yeah from the sounds of it Sony is intending to support it like Nintendo supports the New 3DS with exclusives, at least at the begining, but from judging on how well Nintendo does it and Sony's history with the PSP/Vita. And judging from that it may not have many exclusives especially since you have a PC also and with the trend of 3rd party developers releasing versions for the PC the chances of it having many good exclusive is reather low.

And one more thing you may be able to totally skip it if they do start to treat the consoles like smart phones and add support for the last iteration(s), if they do the optimizations right they can go several iterations without loosing backwards compatiblity, even when they change architecture types, but not manufacture types. Since I have time being cooped up in a hotel room I may do a post about how they can do this. So it is very likely you can probally skip an iteration before having to get the next one.

I'm already skipping vanilla PS4, so Neo would be the second iteration That's why I'll probably be getting it at one point. Gotta play Uncharted 4, Horizon and the couple other exclusives. Multiplats will stay on my PC

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.