By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer fires shots: We have release dates for our E3 games

Xbox boss doesn’t believe Sony is “doing a better job” shipping more exclusives

Comparison’s between the output of Xbox and PlayStation when it comes to exclusive games have been happening since the dawn of consoles, and will continue to happen. Head of Xbox Phil Spencer, however, believes Microsoft has been doing a better job at this recently.

Speaking to GamesIndustry, Spencer said he’s very proud of the games shown at the company’s E3 presser.

“When I look at this year, I’ll just take the E3 conferences… we showed four big games launching exclusively on Xbox One and Windows 10,” he began. “When I think about Gears, Forza Horizon, ReCore, Dead Rising 4 – all of those games are launching this year and they’ve been announced, there are dates next to them.”

“And I think on the indie side, we’ve got Inside which I’ve been playing. We’ve got We Happy Few. We’ve got Below. We’ve got Cuphead. There are a ton more, but I’m just thinking about some real highlights in indie games that are coming this year.

“When I watch the other platforms, it’s not always clear to me when the games are shipping or how many of them are shipping this year.”

Next year’s slate is also looking busy, with Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, Halo Wars 2 and others.

“I mean these are a pretty diverse set of games from a great set of developers. And to say that the other consoles are doing a better job shipping more games for their customer… I don’t see that.

https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/15/xbox-boss-doesnt-believe-sony-is-doing-a-better-job-shipping-more-exclusives/

Around the Network

Wow. Phantom dust release date? Jk.

All i can say is that he has a point.

Does it make a difference though? Nah... what matter is to excite your audience for the long term.

I mean ignoring that you kinda announced most of them last year, them not having release dates a year later would be odd

Hes right though...

Around the Network

Pretty sure he's talking trash as usual. He just cant help himself.

Has anyone got a list of exclusives that have been released so far this year, and what is expected?

He's mentioned 4, Sony has had 2 or 3 already hasn't it and will have GT Sport, TLG, No Mans Sky, about 7 billion VR games, Perhaps he was talking about Nintendo?

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Lol, what a hypocritical ass.

Madword said:
Pretty sure he's talking trash as usual. He just cant help himself.

Has anyone got a list of exclusives that have been released so far this year, and what is expected?

He's mentioned 4, Sony has had 2 or 3 already hasn't it and will have GT Sport, TLG, No Mans Sky, about 7 billion VR games, Perhaps he was talking about Nintendo?

MLB the show, uncharted, ratchet and clank, sf5

KLXVER said:
Hes right though...

So?  based on sales and review scores both, Sony is doing a better job producing better games that more peopel want.  

Hell, the Uncharted Collection sold more than the Halo Master Chief collection despite the Halo series being among the top selling game franchises of all time.  

I'm not too worried.  both consoles are doing great in my eye, and it's a CEO's job to push their product as superior.  Phil isn't doing anything wrong here, just his job.  His statement is correct, sure, but it doesn't really matter to the quality of said games in the long run. I'd rather have good games delayed than forcing mediocre games out early.  I'm sure Xbox's exclusives are great and all, but I'm sure I'll enjoy Playstation's better, and if sales are any indication, I'm not the only one. 

Console wars should pipe down and we should all just enjoy what we saw this year.  I'm stoked for too many games to get into a huff about it.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

It's E3, he's in the spirit of it.