By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer fires shots: We have release dates for our E3 games

Boutros said:
It's so disingenuous to look only at the main press conference nowadays. E3 is now a full week of news. Not just one block of 75-90 minutes. The conference is meant to showcase big reveals and surprises. I really don't care about seeing only titles coming out soon. It's where I expect to see games coming out way past that.

It's best to look at the entire package, but the narrative of who "won" E3 is always determined by the main press conferences and revelations. It's a meaningless title, but that's what's largely being discussed.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Bandorr said:
That is one salty CEO. He must be under extreme pressure to make such a petty public statement.

It's not been an entirely unjustified opinion. Sony has announced things well in advance of release... how many of the huge announcements from last year are we playing right now? Here's the big titles I can recall that made a huge impact at the time and whether we're playing them right now: 

Last Guardian: No
Horizon: No
Street Fighter V: Yes
Dreams: No
Shenmue III: Long way off
FF VII: No
Firewatch: Yes
No Man's Sky: Still at least two months off
Uncharted 4: Yes

From those presentations last year the only real success within a year was Uncharted 4. Now for those presented or discussed this year including carry-overs from last year with a *:

*Last Guardian: October 25
*Horizon: Feb 28 2017
*Final Fantasy VII: Unknown
*No Man's Sky: Probably August
*Dreams: Maybe a beta this year?
Spiderman: Unknown
Death Stranding: Unknown
Crash Bandicoot Remaster: Unknown
FFXV: September 30th (not an exclusive though, coming to Xbox1 as well)
Detroit Become Human: Unknown
All VR titles: Unknown
Farpoint: Unknown
Resident Evil 7: Jan 2017 (not exclusive, coming to Xbox1)
God of War 4: Unknown
Days Gone: Unknown

I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting and didn't bother with indie games, but Spencer's claims aren't exactly inaccurate. The above represent the majority of the huge titles that really psyched those of us who watched the presentation, but really we haven't played many yet.

From the above list, only three exclusive games that aren't also on the Xbox1 came out or are confirmed to come out within a full year of the initial announcement, and another three are likely to come out in year two, with one potential (but unconfirmed) beta. 

These numbers could improve, but really the games we got hyped for have indeed been announced well in advance. I'd say the only clear success within a year of announcement over the last two years is Uncharted 4.

I don't really mind as it seems to me we'll soon have one hell of a library once all these projects pan out, but they've definitely announced things ahead of time... I don't think it's unreasonable for Spencer to defend his platform and point out that most of their games are releasing in the immediate future.

But MS has done exactly the same... and as i said earlier Sony have released more exclusives so far this year and in the second half if you ignore about 40+ games that Sony will release, are only 1 core exclusive away from MS's 4. So it's pure "We'll pick a timeframe,we'll pick the rules to make something look good in our favour", while most people can see and feel the difference and dont fall for this marketing, its a shame he has to resort to it.  

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Johnw1104 said:
Bandorr said:
That is one salty CEO. He must be under extreme pressure to make such a petty public statement.

It's not been an entirely unjustified opinion. Sony has announced things well in advance of release... how many of the huge announcements from last year are we playing right now? Here's the big titles I can recall that made a huge impact at the time and whether we're playing them right now: 

Last Guardian: No
Horizon: No
Street Fighter V: Yes
Dreams: No
Shenmue III: Long way off
FF VII: No
Firewatch: Yes
No Man's Sky: Still at least two months off
Uncharted 4: Yes

From those presentations last year the only real success within a year was Uncharted 4. Now for those presented or discussed this year including carry-overs from last year with a *:

*Last Guardian: October 25
*Horizon: Feb 28 2017
*Final Fantasy VII: Unknown
*No Man's Sky: Probably August
*Dreams: Maybe a beta this year?
Spiderman: Unknown
Death Stranding: Unknown
Crash Bandicoot Remaster: Unknown
FFXV: September 30th (not an exclusive though, coming to Xbox1 as well)
Detroit Become Human: Unknown
All VR titles: Unknown
Farpoint: Unknown
Resident Evil 7: Jan 2017 (not exclusive, coming to Xbox1)
God of War 4: Unknown
Days Gone: Unknown

I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting and didn't bother with indie games, but Spencer's claims aren't exactly inaccurate. The above represent the majority of the huge titles that really psyched those of us who watched the presentation, but really we haven't played many yet.

From the above list, only three exclusive games that aren't also on the Xbox1 came out or are confirmed to come out within a full year of the initial announcement, and another three are likely to come out in year two, with one potential (but unconfirmed) beta. 

These numbers could improve, but really the games we got hyped for have indeed been announced well in advance. I'd say the only clear success within a year of announcement over the last two years is Uncharted 4.

I don't really mind as it seems to me we'll soon have one hell of a library once all these projects pan out, but they've definitely announced things ahead of time... I don't think it's unreasonable for Spencer to defend his platform and point out that most of their games are releasing in the immediate future.

Sony wanted to focus on whats coming in future (they skipped games which have release dates as they are annoucing them in other events because sony has year long announcments compared to MS) instead of whats coming this year which many already knows. Many watch E3 just for knowing what comes in future more than whats there for Holidays which is MS focus always.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Sony does a better job capturing peoples imagination with exclusives and pseudo exclusives.

And there is also the public good will - just look at Nintendo with only one game - that make Sony business decisions seem like a true love letter to gamers.

Let´s just go back to 2015 and Shemue and FFVII, or 2014 and No Man Skys...

Translation: "We didn't have enough confidence in what we have (rightfully so) so we announced everything at the conference and not a single thing before or after." Sony already started giving dates in May with GTS, gave more afterwards, gave another at the conference, and is still giving more during E3.
Besides..
Says the man who cancelled Fable Legends
Says the man who cancelled Phantom Dust
Says the man who announced Scalebound, Crackdown and Recore with CGI trailers, all of which missed their dates and were delayed
An how Halo wars 2 looking for this holiday. Oops sorry

Actual shots fired, not Spencer's desperate duds.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
It's so disingenuous to look only at the main press conference nowadays. E3 is now a full week of news. Not just one block of 75-90 minutes. The conference is meant to showcase big reveals and surprises. I really don't care about seeing only titles coming out soon. It's where I expect to see games coming out way past that.

It seems like people only play games showcase at the E3 Press Conference.

Let's rock... AND RIDE!!!

daredevil.shark said:

Wow. Phantom dust release date? Jk.

Saltiness? jk.

Well he is right after all. We know the release date for the majority of games MS presented.

I would hope so seeing as 90% of what they showed was from last years E3 and the one before that.

Madword said:
Johnw1104 said:

I don't think it's unreasonable for Spencer to defend his platform and point out that most of their games are releasing in the immediate future.

But MS has done exactly the same... and as i said earlier Sony have released more exclusives so far this year and in the second half if you ignore about 40+ games that Sony will release, are only 1 core exclusive away from MS's 4. So it's pure "We'll pick a timeframe,we'll pick the rules to make something look good in our favour", while most people can see and feel the difference and dont fall for this marketing, its a shame he has to resort to it.  

The titles I think the majority of us are most interested in are the ones that have mostly had distant or undefined release dates, the key exception being Uncharted 4.  Microsoft may be focusing on the end of this year, but it's hard to ignore that the games Sony has been relying on to create the most hoopla over the past two years haven't been coming out in the immediate future.

Otherwise, there's a reason I picked the PS4; there's more games I'm interested in and I frankly don't mind waiting for the games they're advertising. Heck, we're probably about half a year removed from an arsenal of new games for their VR, so whomever that appeals to will be more than satisfied. When you read the tweets and watch the youtube videos, though, Sony has been "winning" these E3's based largely on games that aren't releasing within the year that they are announced. I think that's what Spencer was saying, and it's not unreasonable even if it misrepresents the larger picture.

biglittlesps said:
Sony wanted to focus on whats coming in future (they skipped games which have release dates as they are annoucing them in other events because sony has year long announcments compared to MS) instead of whats coming this year which many already knows. Many watch E3 just for knowing what comes in future more than whats there for Holidays which is MS focus always.

Yeah, and I'm fine with that. It doesn't matter much to me who is perceived to have "won" E3, but that's the topic that comes up in interviews constantly and so Spencer felt the need to defend himself. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a great many games in the works for a year or two down the road that's just eating away at him as he fights the urge to announce them lol

Well that's what happens when you have only one new console exclusive to reveal, and you didn't even make it.

Ms's E3 was strongly a repeat of last year's.

Gears, record, scalebound, sea of thieves, and forza