By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Nintendo NX will be dead on Arrival.

bananaking21 said:

VR, 4K, third parties, many exclusives, streaming and already established install bases (30M+ for XB and 60M+ for PS) by the time the NX will release, a huge libarary of games and among many other things, thats what NX is up against. and what ever their "new way to play is", the industry is headed where PS and Xbox are headed, and it wont be able to compete. 

Aren't they actually at 20M+? 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
superchunk said:

Content sells consoles, not specs.

and NX will have very little compared to the Xbox and Playstation.

Full disclosure, I agree with you, but I'll play devil's advocate here: 

Nintendo has never been about quantity. It's always been about quality. Realistically, Zelda alone could account for just as many sales as a big name exclusive like Uncharted or Halo, likely more. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

bananaking21 said:
Game_God said:
What a joke thread... team A will lose because I support team B argument... children these days... a keyboard & a screen is all it takes to make some heads spin!

instead of going around calling people children, how about you try make a decent counter argument. but if thats too hard, maybe you shouldnt go around calling other people children. 

Your OP is kinda moot at this point. Unless you have insider information, we have no concrete evidence on what the NX is and what it is capable of doing. So what's the point in claiming it to be dead on arrival? It's like saying the Wii, the DS, and the 3DS are going to be dead on arrival before we knew what they could do. Plus, we don't know what games are going to be on the system and what they can demonstrate for NX. Now I'm not saying it couldn't fail, but I have no idea what this system is so how can anyone make these type of claims?

Probably, though I still will withhold full judgement until I see the finished product.

That said they can't really even go the Wii route, because casual gamers as a demographic are massively over catered too, whereas in 2004, no one was making games for them. So it's a huge difference, that is not a blue ocean.

I just want to play the next Zelda, don't care about specs. I hope it's still going to be a big screen experience and not made for mobile phone type display.

Around the Network

In my opinion console gaming doesn't really need to get any better or bigger visually than it already is. So to me the Scorpio is over engineered. I also think this is why Sony had decided to go to the iterative model with only an incremental increase in power rather than a generational increase. There's no need to go for a big power spike anymore, because visuals don't need to get (and can't really) exponentially better. It doesn't take a huge power boost to ensure 1080p 60fps standard in all games with 8th gen graphics, PS4 almost got there with its current specs.

If Nintendo can bring great gaming experiences I think NX can do pretty well. It doesn't need to be more powerful than what's been announced / hinted at. If Neo is closer in power to NX than to Scorpio, which seems likely, then what we might see is 3rd parties looking to optimise for the lower powered, larger install base and not really making best use of Scorpio's extra power. After all, 4K gaming is great for people with 4K screens, but most people still have 1080p screens, and that's likely to remain the case for a good few years yet.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Azuren said:
bananaking21 said:

and NX will have very little compared to the Xbox and Playstation.

Full disclosure, I agree with you, but I'll play devil's advocate here: 

Nintendo has never been about quantity. It's always been about quality. Realistically, Zelda alone could account for just as many sales as a big name exclusive like Uncharted or Halo, likely more. 

one title alone isnt going to move much hardware, the competing consoles have quantity and quality, to a point where Nintendo just cant compete. and we have seen this with the WiiU, a "gimmick" or novelty attribute wont make up for the many things the competition has to offer. when you have The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Horizon, uncharted 4, dragon age, Gran theft auto, the elder scrolls, dark souls, and so so much more on one console, a single title like zelda wont make much of a difference.

the thing is, the NX is releasing mid gen, and its releasing in a touch situation where the compitition will offer a mid-gen upgrade, but also retaining the install bases of the base consoles. with considerably less content, considerably less third party support and company excutives so out touch that they believe that zelda, mario or donkey kong can actually make a difference. 

once NX releases, the compitition will have so much to offer, while the NX doesnt (its still a new console at the end of the day), and it will only have promises, ones that WiiU failed to live up to. 

Scisca said:
KLXVER said:

No, they decided to take the exit strategy with the GC.

It wasn't gamers who came with the humiliating lunchbox design. Nobody would convince the teenaged me to buy that and be ridiculed by friends with a cool, black PS2.

Literally every person that found out I had a Gamecube had a reaction along the lines of, "Yo, that's dope! You got Smash Bros? Can I play?"

Y'all must be backwards as hell in Poland if the physical design of your console actually mattered, especially at 16-17 years old.

SW-5120-1900-6153

as a huge nintendo fan I'll probably skip the NX and it will be my first Nintendo console ever I skipped. Even virtual boy.

With Zelda U coming on Wii U that will hold me over for then next zelda title (whenever that may be?) as its my only MUST play nitty game.  Hopefully Nintendo releases mario on PC as I've gravitated toward PC gaming as the industry changed.

FallingTitan said:
as a huge nintendo fan I'll probably skip the NX and it will be my first Nintendo console ever I skipped. Even virtual boy.

With Zelda U coming on Wii U that will hold me over for next zelda in 5 years haha. Hopefully Nintendo releases mario on PC as I've gravitated toward PC gaming as the industry changed.

Skip a Nintendo console you know nothing about? How big of a fan can you really be?