By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get MS's plan, announcing this early, Scrap NEO? PS5 in 2018?

Turkish said:

Don't kid yourselves, at some point there will be a hard reset where new games won't function on older hardware. Just like the mobile industry forces you to upgrade to a certain firmware and hardware model to keep up to date.

Not sure about MS, but there will be a real PS5 after the PS4 update. The numbering of the systems is too big of a brand to just start calling their consoles Orbis or Neo from now.

Just because they call it a PS5 it doesn't mean it won't be fully BC with everything in PS4 now, have the same OS (plus some new stuff), etc.

Phones keep progressing each year with revisions to the OS and new hardware. Yet the apps change at a completely separate pace due to the primary OS software being the commonality.

Game systems will do the same. The difference is the OS is only part of the factor, the biggest glue is the game middleware such as Unity or Unreal Engine.. etc.

This should be obvious after E3 presentations/interviews from MSony. MS is big about its inclusion of Win10 in what looks to be all forward looking Xbox software. Sony spoke to it a bit when it discussed Neo as well outside of its actual presentation during an interview.

Incremental and continuous enhancements in both hardware and software going forward. Sure a game will eventually not work on the latest OS/Hardware but at that point we'll of had 3 or 4 revisions with 5~8 years in between and noone will care OR you'll have VC-like experience where you can trade to the digital copy to keep forever. No reason they can't use emulation to keep digital BC going forever without touching the original game.

Around the Network

@Bralod you have no idea what you are talking about. If you call the X1 a failure then you are calling the 360 that as well considering the One is ahead of the 360. Also the Slim is coming out and there are people that are preordering even though the Scorpio is coming next year and no the X1 is not a failure, not even close.

Proud to be a Californian.

@Shadow1980 Those graphs are fairly telling about how the migration of gamers is done on the brands, So weird to think that there was still PSone sales going on the year before the PS3 launched and the same with new PS2s selling a year before the PS4 hit the shelves.

The X360 decline is far slower than the original > 360 though, I guess mostly because the x360 is still a very popular console and people can get into it very cheaply with shops stocking a giant library of games for it, also with the unpopularity of the X1 if you're a fan of the Xbox brand, then as Don Mattick said, there is a console for you to buy :)

Very well put together post btw Shadow1980! thank you.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Mr Puggsly said:
JRPGfan said:

The question becomes....

PS4 neo ~399$ (4tflops) (releases upto 1year earlier)
vs
Xb1 scorpio ~599$ (6tflops)

Which will sell better? the cheaper or the more powerfull?

They will likely be the same price. I think MS is more willing to lose money than Sony.

MS just bought LinkedIn to show off how fucking baller they are.

Just like they did for Xbox One right? Still waiting for it. We were promissed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

They will likely be the same price. I think MS is more willing to lose money than Sony.

MS just bought LinkedIn to show off how fucking baller they are.

Elaborate, I think I'm missing your point.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Scorpio and Neo aren't 9th Gen. They're just a mid-gen refresh to accommodate 4K and to make up for releasing consoles weaker than the average 2 year old PC.

I repeat: This is a refresh. Not a new generation.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

While I'd love to jump on the "lol Xbox" bandwagon, I also must ask what on earth are you talking about? 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
Scorpio and Neo aren't 9th Gen. They're just a mid-gen refresh to accommodate 4K and to make up for releasing consoles weaker than the average 2 year old PC.

I repeat: This is a refresh. Not a new generation.

Well developers aren't required to use improved specs just for 4K. I think developers may just opt for 1080p-1440p to put more focus on graphics/performance over resolution.

Its possible many Scropio and Neo owners won't be using 4K TVs. So using all those resources on resolution is a waste.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I would rather like to see a PS5 in 2017 actually. As long as PS4 gets atleast another 2 years of support after that, wich shouldn't be that hard since the hardware of different generation will be more similair from now on. All the big PS4 exclusives will likely have released by the end of 2017 anyway, and other big games like a new GTA will be multi platform anyway.

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

So many users were betting that MS would use its warchest to make Xbox One stronger and cheaper to buy than PS4 and that they would do everything to win the gen. We are still waiting for them to burn the money to achieve that... and now you are saying they are going to do it with Scorpio.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."