By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get MS's plan, announcing this early, Scrap NEO? PS5 in 2018?

the more you launch something the less exciting each launch gets. Consoles should preserve their big leaps by waiting at least 5 years. This is the end of consoles this strategy.

I am Iron Man

Around the Network

with the way they market it the scorpio isn't really a console its a standard pc that is supported by microsoft and can play old xbox games, altough im not sure if it has a blue ray drive, hope so, it might be a good fit for people wanting the true 4k or vr experience, but that wont be cheap, so im pretty sure most of those people will just buy a high end pc....

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Darc Requiem said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Unless optimization gets really bad for original specs, it doesent really matter.

Optimization is already dicey. It's going to get worse.

Relative to the hardware, optimization is mostly fine. No generation showed its full potential in the first 3 years.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

BraLoD said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well based on words coming from you, it sounds like PS4 is failure as well. Why else are they also releasing a new model?

Hmmmm...

Sony is hiding shipments numbers? Doing constant price cuts? Is the PS4 Neo killing the PS4?
Nothing I said point to what you want to make it sounds like, just like the black and white thing, when you were the one using others failures to try to make things black and white.

Just stop it, I'm not answering anymore, too excited for E3 to get my head over this kind of absurd.

Okay, its just that your bias is showing by calling it nothing more than a failed product.

When make a statment like that dont be surprised to get a response.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Kenway said:
Neo and Scorpio are both abominations in the console scene. For me, anyway. Hope they all fail miserably.

Unless optimization gets really bad for original specs, it doesent really matter.

If they are going for a smartphone-like model, optimization is the least of our problems. Market fragmentation will cause games to be hold back for more years by the lowest speced machines, say goodbye to action games with more characters on screen, more immersive open world, better I.A. etc. All we're going to get is higher res and more fps.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Okay, its just that your bias is showing by calling it nothing more than a failed product.

When make a statment like that dont be surprised to get a response.

I said I wouldn't answer anymore, but please, stop being ridiculous and calling me biased because of that.
I'm surprised on how are you actually trying to twist what I said to make it personal because you don't think it's a failure, so I have to be biased to state something even it's own company is very aware of and making amends to fix.

Thank you.

I dont think its a failure because its not.

How many units need to sell to cross the line into success?

If MS threw in the towel right now, then it would be fair to call it a failure.

Recently Completed

Fei-Hung said:
On a similar note, they said 320GB/s bandwidth. The PS4 is around 176GB/s I think. Can anyone guess any RAM specs from this?

There are variuos roads that lead to that value. Coincidentally, the NVidia 1080 has a 256bit wide GDDR5X bus that leads to that value. Being the next generation, I'd suppose MS would want to add some more memory than the existing 8G. So you can get to the 320GB/s using a 320bit GDDR5 bus or a 384bit GDDR5 bus. The first option gets you to 10GB of memory, the second one gets you to 12GB of memory. At some point you pay too much for chips and die space for the gddr5 interface (which is very hard to shrink, and look at the space it takes on the PS4 die!) so I'd guess a 512bit bus is off limits.

My second guess is that the 320GB/s bus excludes any further use of embedded esram as that would be wasted space and costs on the die.

JRPGfan said:

Because they re hopeing to stop people buying PS4 neo's.
Even if it means throwing their own new slim console under the bus.

It's not just the Slim console or the Scorpio that does this though,I was thinking back over it, basically the MS show looked great but if you think about what happened on stage.

- They revealed the X1 - S really beautiful looking piece of hardware, great design, nice (but chunky) controller remodel and a price that anyone can jump in at.

- They then went on to show about 1 straight hour of Windows 10 PC games, which would also be compatible with the X1 (clearly everything being shown on stage was PC hardware versions of those games and not the non inferior X1 power) So slightly stabbing the X1S in the back here, but still... at $299 it's a cheap way to get access to PC games on the TV scree.

- End the show... Okay the X1S gets a bullet in the head in 18 months time, absolutely going to be dead in the water, to even believe that a game designed for a machine with the levels of power in the Scorpio would run in any capacity on the X1 or X1S I mean, you would be looking at running software around the 5-10fps mark if at all with that power gap, it would the the equivilent of buying a new PC game right now and installing it in a Pentium 4, sure... it might start up and get to the menu, but would it be playable or enjoyable, of course not.

So yeah... showed the X1S, great pop from the crowd, then just shot it twice in the back over the next hour, such a shame really when you look at the show as a whole.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

drkohler said:
Fei-Hung said:
On a similar note, they said 320GB/s bandwidth. The PS4 is around 176GB/s I think. Can anyone guess any RAM specs from this?

There are variuos roads that lead to that value. Coincidentally, the NVidia 1080 has a 256bit wide GDDR5X bus that leads to that value. Being the next generation, I'd suppose MS would want to add some more memory than the existing 8G. So you can get to the 320GB/s using a 320bit GDDR5 bus or a 384bit GDDR5 bus. The first option gets you to 10GB of memory, the second one gets you to 12GB of memory. At some point you pay too much for chips and die space for the gddr5 interface (which is very hard to shrink, and look at the space it takes on the PS4 die!) so I'd guess a 512bit bus is off limits.

My second guess is that the 320GB/s bus excludes any further use of embedded esram as that would be wasted space and costs on the die.

Don't forget as well that it won't be appearing for another 18 months, they could well be just putting down a plan of specs on a sheet of paper right now (along with some fancy cgi images of a PCB lol) but yeah there is every likelyhood that they're not intending to get that level of power and bandwidth with the very best of what there is on offer in 2016 but more likely they'll aim to achieve it with middle of the road tech in 2017.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

SvennoJ said:
teigaga said:
Sony aren't going to cancel the Neo, MS is putting it out there that a new X1 is coming for pple who would otherwise be tempted to go to Neo

Or in my case tempted by the XBox One S...
I'm glad they're upfront about it, would have been pissed to find out after paying 399 for the slim.

Thats true, its good for the consumer