By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Quake Champions (PC) : E3 2016 Reveal Trailer

Tagged games:

I hope those characters are just different aesthetically, as in Quake III. I really don't want a class-based shooter.

I've no problem with multiplayer only and PC exclusivity - considering the series lineage it makes sense. I only hope there are offline bot matches.

Around the Network
QUAKECore89 said:

Yeah, Quake was supposedly all about SP back in 1996 after release, then somehow they actually loved the MP mode instantly.

CoughTeamfortressmodCough.

Quake in essense was really about technology. Actually scratch that, iD Software was all about technology and engines. All their games up until Rage all had very similar attributes, explore the map, find the key, blast some enemies etc. Now those games were(and still are great)fun, I love Quake and Quake II even to this day, but the main attraction was the engine. Quake 1 really blew open the doors for hardware acceleration with the GL Quake patch but Quake II amplified this by including strong hardware acceleration out the gate with many many features and effects never before seen. With each subsequent game however we saw smaller improvements(still looked amazing though) but the gameplay essentially remained the same. Dumb AI, a mute protagonist with no narrative, simple storyline, similar settings.

I remember an interview with John Carmack right before Quake III came out and he said something along the lines of "there's not much else you can do with a first person shooter, you are beating a dead horse". That is pure arrogance as it was the games AFTER Quake III came out(made by other developers) that really showcases the progression of first person shooters. Games like Halo, the original Deus Ex, Call of Duty(in terms of multiplayer variance and innovation), Counter Strike(which wiped Unreal Tournament and Quake III off the online map once it came out), Half Life 2, I could go on and on.

I don't think this is what people wanted. I've already seen two major complaints: no single-player, and diverse characters. It's obvious why people are complaining about the lack of single-player, and diverse characters are not what people want in an arena shooter. I suppose it's not that bad either if everyone can freely choose, but I don't think it's what arena shooters need or even should have.

Mbolibombo said:
People complaining about the lack of SP in a Quake game?

Gamers these days...

One of the greatest, MP games of all times. Great to see it back again. A bit worried about the class choices though..

I don't know about you, but I've loved all the single-player Quake I've played so far (II and IV). Not great but definitely a lot of fun.

After reading more about the gameplay, I can't say I'm all that thrilled about them trying to force it into being a class/character based shooter. I couldn't care about the lack of SP because Quake is more known for it's MP along with other titles like UT. I hope Id sorts this out a hell of a lot sooner before it's too late.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
After reading more about the gameplay, I can't say I'm all that thrilled about them trying to force it into being a class/character based shooter. I couldn't care about the lack of SP because Quake is more known for it's MP along with other titles like UT. I hope Id sorts this out a hell of a lot sooner before it's too late.

Is that confirmed? If so, that's devastating. I want an old-school twitch shooter with everyone on an equal playing ground. I don't want Quake to transform into Team Fortress or Overwatch.

I can deal with no single-player, as long as there are bots, but I don't think I can reconcile myself with a class/character-based shooter.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Is that confirmed? If so, that's devastating. I want an old-school twitch shooter with everyone on an equal playing ground. I don't want Quake to transform into Team Fortress or Overwatch.

I can deal with no single-player, as long as there are bots, but I don't think I can reconcile myself with a class/character-based shooter.

As far as I'm reading from the game's description, yes. I honestly don't know why they are going with a class based shooter, it sounds like they are just riding the hype and the name on what could have been an entirely new IP, it just shows that both id and Beth are lazy in creating two different games but would rather fuse two into one. Some are losing their shit because they hoped for a proper return to form of the arena shooter genre and that looks to be resting on just UT as far as I can see.

See I love Overwatch and TF2 but I definitely don't want my Quake turning into those two games, we already have enough of those as it is. There being no SP is fine but bots and different mods along with some mod support would go a long way for me. That said I won't be grabbing this until they sort it out, they have a decent chunk of time before release to sort the mess out. I just hope this isn't some scheme to claim it's PC only but really it was a design decision to make it for consoles, I really detest that type of approach as it shows deciet and not willing to do the other platform at least one service for a genre that has been dormant for years. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

As far as I'm reading from the game's description, yes. I honestly don't know why they are going with a class based shooter, it sounds like they are just riding the hype and the name on what could have been an entirely new IP, it just shows that both id and Beth are lazy in creating two different games but would rather fuse two into one. Some are losing their shit because they hoped for a proper return to form of the arena shooter genre and that looks to be resting on just UT as far as I can see.

See I love Overwatch and TF2 but I definitely don't want my Quake turning into those two games, we already have enough of those as it is. There being no SP is fine but bots and different mods along with some mod support would go a long way for me. That said I won't be grabbing this until they sort it out, they have a decent chunk of time before release to sort the mess out. I just hope this isn't some scheme to claim it's PC only but really it was a design decision to make it for consoles, I really detest that type of approach as it shows deciet and not willing to do the other platform at least one service for a genre that has been dormant for years. 

Oh yeah, I'm fine with Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch. I just don't want Quake to lose its identity. I've been itching for a good arena shooter. DOOM, while good, didn't scratch that itch. And now Quake looks like it won't carry that mantle either.

Why can't a game be interesting enough with good mechanics and map design? Why do we always need colorful characters or classes or unlocks or perks or XP or taunts or badges or ribbons? Sometimes I want to be dropped into an arena and just move and shoot.

Its probably going to be more similar to Lawbreakers than Overwatch, but still, I can't say I'm particularly interested.

Lawlight said:
Mbolibombo said:
People complaining about the lack of SP in a Quake game?

Gamers these days...

One of the greatest, MP games of all times. Great to see it back again. A bit worried about the class choices though..

I only ever played the SP for quake. Or are you talking about Quake 3 Arena?

No I am talking about the original Quake first hand. It opened the door for online gaming, it really blew everything away in 1996. And spawned the first professional gamers (thresh among others). I guess you had to be active back then to realize just how big it actually was.

I played the single player campaigns for all quake games, but it's always been about the multiplayer and their engines that has always led the charge when ever a new game arrived.