By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Florida Pulse gay club attacked.

I don't think at this point it really even matters. America is just a country racked with violence, there are a lot of good things about it, but the gun violence is abhorrent and I don't think it'll ever change there.

It's just something that no other first world country really deals with to that extent, but it's gotten to the point now where I don't think anything can really change.

There's so many guns around that some people turning their guns in would then just lead to a situation where some bad people would retain their guns and then go ahead and start shooting people anyway. But as is, they will still shoot people.

Beyond that there were like 60 people shot in Chicago's on going gang violence over the Memorial Day weekend alone ... that is absurd, but no one even cares because it's basically normal.

Basically it's a messed up situation all around and it's unlikely to change. There will be another mass shooting in 2-3 months, there will be another Columbine eventually and there's not much to stop it.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Basically it's a messed up situation all around and it's unlikely to change. There will be another mass shooting in 2-3 months, there will be another Columbine eventually and there's not much to stop it.

While you are right, there isn't much that will be done in the way of legislation, there is no need to worry. 

Homicide rates (including firearm homicide rates) in general have declined over the last 30 years. The media loves to sensationalize things. 

The same is true for violent crime. 

This is true despite less restrictive laws in the states, and more guns overall. 

sc94597 said:
Soundwave said:

While you are right, there isn't much that will be done in the way of legislation, there is no need to worry. 

Homicide rates (including firearm homicide rates) in general have declined over the last 30 years. The media loves to sensationalize things. 

This is true despite less restrictive laws in the states, and more guns overall. 

I think that's largely due to a drop in gang violence between gang members though (unfortunately Chicago would not apply though). Things like school kids getting shot to death by some unhinged loon or a movie theater getting shot up or a nightclub in this case .... I don't seem to think that happened regularily in the 1970s or 80s. 

Honestly I think the arrivial of 24/7 news and the amount of attention Columbine received has now unintentionally created an unending cycle of people who are frustrated in their life and will go on and start killing people as a way to validate themselves somehow by becoming temporarily famous. 

CNN and that whole 24 news craze really did not take off until the Gulf War in 1991, but its in the 90s that we see the beginning of the mass shooting phenomenon. 

You shootout with the off duty cop security gaurd and then go into the club!  I've been to clubs literally 1000 times and have never been searched or seen a metal detector.  Too bad they didn't have a rifle behind the bar to shoot the madman while he was easily mowing down unarmed clubbers.  But eventually a gun stopped the madman from using his weapon.  Too bad it took hours for a gun to show up...

Soundwave said:
sc94597 said:

I think that's largely due to a drop in gang violence between gang members though (unfortunately Chicago would not apply though). Things like school kids getting shot to death by some unhinged loon or a movie theater getting shot up or a nightclub in this case .... seem to be the new normal. 

Mass murder is just as common as it has ever been (as in not very much.) With a larger population there are more stories to cover though, within any geographical area. And the media today loves to cover these events because it increases viewership. Something that wasn't so true in the past. 

The deadliest mass murder by an individual (before yesterday)  in U.S history was in 1927, so it certainly isn't a recent phenomenon. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

The Bath School disaster was a series of violent attacks perpetrated by Andrew Kehoe on May 18, 1927, in Bath Township, Michigan, that killed 38 elementary schoolchildren and 6 adults and injured at least 58 other people. Kehoe killed his wife and firebombed his farm, then detonated an explosion in the Bath Consolidated School, before committing suicide by detonating a final device in his truck. It is the deadliest mass murder to take place at a school in United States history.

Around the Network

Rest in peace those men souls.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

sc94597 said:
Soundwave said:

I think that's largely due to a drop in gang violence between gang members though (unfortunately Chicago would not apply though). Things like school kids getting shot to death by some unhinged loon or a movie theater getting shot up or a nightclub in this case .... seem to be the new normal. 

Mass murder is just as common as it has ever been (as in not very much.) With a larger population there are more stories to cover though, within any geographical area. And the media today loves to cover these events because it increases viewership. Something that wasn't so true in the past. 

The deadliest mass murder by an individual (before yesterday)  in U.S history was in 1927, so it certainly isn't a recent phenomenon. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

The Bath School disaster was a series of violent attacks perpetrated by Andrew Kehoe on May 18, 1927, in Bath Township, Michigan, that killed 38 elementary schoolchildren and 6 adults and injured at least 58 other people. Kehoe killed his wife and firebombed his farm, then detonated an explosion in the Bath Consolidated School, before committing suicide by detonating a final device in his truck. It is the deadliest mass murder to take place at a school in United States history.

Well as I've said America has a very violent history in general -- two of its most popular recent sitting presidents have been shot, try finding another 1st world country like that. 

That said I don't recall there been a ton of mass shootings akin to Columbine in the 70s and 80s ... I wonder why that is, but then it went from one of these every couple of years to now where it's like an annual event basically. It's sad. 

Pemalite said:

Allah translated from Arabic to English literally means "God" and the Quran teaches that God revealed his truth to the prophets in the Judaism/Christianity religihe three main world religions all Trace their Origins back to Abraham

Which is ironic considering both religions share allot of the same characters, story's, location etc'.
In-fact both are even derived from the same old texts... And share the same connections with Judaism.

Hinduism has nothing to do with Judaism. I think you forgot how popular that one is.

It's also usually quite peaceful, so I could see how it's overlook in the news.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

think-man said:
Low78wagon said:
Ugh.. I love this forum but I knew most would bring up this anti gun shit. So this muslim terrorist wouldnt have been able to get ahold of guns because of strict gun laws? I carry a gun almost every day. Will I ever save the day from terrorism? Probably not but my chances are better than someone who is anti protection.

Why do you carry a gun with you?  These gun laws are the very reason i would never go to America, I've never seen a real gun in my life and i hope i never do see one.

A gun is a tool. I carry because of shit like this. Why do you carry a phone? To contact people. Why a wallet? To have money to purchase items. Why a pistol? For personal protection. I was anti gun/personal protection 15 years ago when I didnt know any better. If you have never been around guns I can see how they can be scary to you. Should we ban cars because they kill people? Cars dont kill, people do driving them. People on cell phones driving are more likely to kill others. I hope I never need to use my gun on another person but its there just incase just like my cell phone. I have been trained and I have a license to carry 

This thread sums up why such topics should never be brought to forums as people use such events to attack groups of people from other religions, political following and so on, R.I.P. those killed and hopefully those injured recover.