By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Florida Pulse gay club attacked.

Wyrdness said:
This thread sums up why such topics should never be brought to forums as people use such events to attack groups of people from other religions, political following and so on, R.I.P. those killed and hopefully those injured recover.

So... no discussion should be had, or even allowed, because some people might say something that will make other people feel "attacked". Okay.

Around the Network
Psychotic said:

So... no discussion should be had, or even allowed, because some people might say something that will make other people feel "attacked". Okay.

In the case when a number of posts are attacks yes, this is a topic about an incident that happened and some people are using to fling attacks at certain groups so yes may as well not debate it.

Once a gun arrives, any gun-free zone becomes a game preserve. And if you went in unarmed you're game.

Solution get a concealed carry licence and always carry or end up like the poor people in the nightclub.

Hiku said:
sc94597 said:

I hope all image links work.
But yeah, I've looked into this many times in the past, and while some data can be skewed to suit a narrative in either direction, there are far too many studies indicating a big gun problem in the US compared to brush it off as a coincidence.

USA is different than Australia, Sweden and Japan, yes, But it's gun violence rates should be closer to those countries than the undeveloped countries.
USA is not Australia, but why not try to impose more strict gun laws? Instead they say we should pray. Well prayer didn't work last time, or the time before that. Why not try before dismissing it because "we're not Australia"? How can people proiritize their right to shoot their assault rifles over increased human safety? It's something I will never understand.

Damn, those charts you posted are one Hell of a smackdown against the absurdity of NRA "logic".  The Second Amendment was an interesting hypothesis, but it turned out to be wrong.  The reality is that the US would be better and safer without it.

CovenanterA13 said:
Once a gun arrives, any gun-free zone becomes a game preserve. And if you went in unarmed you're game.

Solution get a concealed carry licence and always carry or end up like the poor people in the nightclub.

I read some people were armed in that manner, the shooter had some kind of automatic rifle so they stood little chance as by the time they realized they were under attack he was unloading on them.

Around the Network
CovenanterA13 said:

Amen brother.

RIP poor people and their families. The world is sick.

Wyrdness said:
CovenanterA13 said:

I read some people were armed in that manner, the shooter had some kind of automatic rifle so they stood little chance as by the time they realized they were under attack he was unloading on them.

Haha, "unloading" on guys in a gay bar

I'll show myself out.

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

Hiku said:
sc94597 said

It is very different when you don't just compare 2009-2015, and look at more than just mass shootings.
But, while gun violence has dropped in the USA over the past decades, it's still absurdly high.
Norway, which tops that list at #5, have only had one mass shooting in its long history. While USA have had 16 in just the past 8 years.
When we look at more than just mass shootings, USA tends to be much higher above any other developed countries. Adjusted for population of course.

First, since you mentioned that USA is not like Australia, which is an intersting point, here's a list of death by firearms, which includes justifiable homocide. It's very interesting to see that the closest comparable developed country to USA's 10.54 is Finland's 3.25. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
The question is why USA is so different that it much closer compares to nations like South Africa (13.61), than Australia (0.93). Because Australia's history is very similar to USAs, and it's also a country with mass immigration.
USA should have much more in common with the developed countries in terms of culture. But the main difference I see is the USA's obsession with guns and their gun laws.

Anyway, here are gun related murder rates between 2000-2012.

http://www.unodc.org/gsh/en/data.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012/12/14/chart-the-u-s-has-far-more-gun-related-killings-than-any-other-developed-country/

"The rate in several developing countries, particularly in Latin America, is significantly higher. Honduras, which has been called the murder capital of the world, has an average firearm murder rate that's about 20 times America's. But make no mistake: For a rich, developed country, the U.S. gun-related homicide rate is very, very high."

And here's a study in 2010:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gun-deaths-compare-to-other-countries/

This includes police shootouts, which I would definitely say is a problem in the US compared to other developed countries.
Some facts from the study:

- Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the United States' gun-related murder rate is 25 times higher.
- Even though it has half the population of the other 22 nations combined, the United States accounted for 82 percent of all gun deaths.
- The United States also accounted for 90 percent of all women killed by guns, the study found.
- Ninety-one percent of children under 14 who died by gun violence were in the United States.
- And 92 percent of young people between ages 15 and 24 killed by guns were in the United States, the study found.

This study was for 2010 specifically, but we see the same pattern year in and year out.

Homocide rate 2014:
(Light green is firearms.)

http://www.humanosphere.org/science/2015/10/visualizing-gun-deaths-comparing-u-s-rest-world/

2013:

And this image below is made every year. Here are a couple. It's not adjusted for population, but quick math will show you that USA doesn't have anywhere near 510 times the population of Sweden for example, but 33 times.

I hope all image links work.
But yeah, I've looked into this many times in the past, and while some data can be skewed to suit a narrative in either direction, there are far too many studies indicating a big gun problem in the US compared to brush it off as a coincidence.

USA is different than Australia, Sweden and Japan, yes, But it's gun violence rates should be closer to those countries than the undeveloped countries.
USA is not Australia, but why not try to impose more strict gun laws? Instead they say we should pray. Well prayer didn't work last time, or the time before that. Why not try before dismissing it because "we're not Australia"? How can people proiritize their right to shoot their assault rifles over increased human safety? It's something I will never understand.

You specifically said, "The frequency of massacres in the US shows that it mainly is a gun law problem" 

The U.S is about 65 times the size of Norway in population, with many more city centers. Obviously there are going to be many more mass shootings just because of the law of large numbers.

The biggest cause of the high homicide rates in the U.S is a more diverse population in all ways (economically, racially, ethnically) and the long-standing and aggressive drug prohibition. Mostly what I was getting at though was that there was only a few million guns in Australia before they were effectively banned, while there are over 300 million guns in the U.S. How do you think Australia's solution (a mandatory buyback program) would work in the U.S? 

Probably the easiest, and most effective way to bring the U.S homicide rate to that of other first world countries is to decriminalize all drugs, removing the power of drug cartels and organized gangs from American urban centers. The majority of homocides are drug related. 

Why should we try to impose more strict gun laws? It hasn't worked in the cities that have done it, and we have better alternative solutions (as I just noted in the sentence above.) But mostly because gun laws only affect law-abiding citizens, not criminals. And to make an obstacle for law-abiding citizens because of the activities of criminals is silly. 

So sad this happened

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Psychotic said:
Wyrdness said:

Haha, "unloading" on guys in a gay bar

I'll show myself out.

Shit I've only just realized that.