By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Florida Pulse gay club attacked.

Slimebeast said:
Soundwave said:

So where's all the Mexican mass shooters? Asians? Why should they be lumped in? 

Usually it's a white male in America doing mass shootings, were you calling for all white men to have to be frisked when entering a movie theater in the US? After all it was a white dude who walked into a movie theater and shot it up. And it was a white dude last I checked who went into an elementary school and salughtered almost 30 elementary school children. 

America has a violence problem, period. 

So another guy with immigrant background trying to explain away a muslim killing 50 gay people.

White people are majority in USA and their proportion of mass shooters isn't bigger than their share of the population. And yet we're talking about a crime that is perceived as the white man's type of crime.

America has a violence problem, but not period. Today it also increasingly has a problem with foreign religions.

I'm not an immigrant, lol. 

American is a violent society period, sadly. Which other developed country has had a recent sitting president get shot, and another one of its most popular president's ever have his head blown off? And then his brother was shot and killed too. Which other developed country has school shootings pretty much on the regular? In which country was John Lennon killed in? Martin Luther King? Just this weekend we had a guy drive to a concert to shoot the 22-year-old singer in the face, killing her, and blowing his own head off. 

It's terrible, but violence seems to be endemic with it as a society. I don't even know what the solution in the US is, gun violence and mass shootings are just a regular part of society now. 

When's the last Buddhist attack by the way? Mexican Catholic? Sikh? Hindu? Taoist? So I think your statement there is disingenious, the vast majority of American immigrants are not Muslims to begin with. 

Around the Network

What do we do about this! I can't stand it. We have to stop Isis. This has gone on way too far. Bomb those buggers off the map...is what I'd like to say but it's much more complicated than that. Something has to be done. I'm sick and tired of waking up to shootings. My deep sympathies go out to the families affected by this twisted shithead. Sorry, I'm just livid right now.

Soundwave said:

I'm not an immigrant, lol. 

American is a violent society period, sadly. Which other developed country has had a recent sitting president get shot, and another one of its most popular president's ever have his head blown off? And then his brother was shot and killed too. Which other developed country has school shootings pretty much on the regular? In which country was John Lennon killed in? Martin Luther King? 

It's a shame, but violence seems to be endemic with it as a society. 

With diversity (and I mean more than racial, ethnic, and religious diversity, I also mean ideological diversity) comes conflict. I can generally agree with this sentiment that the U.S is just going to be inherently more violent, because it is much larger than European nation-states, in fact one can't really say the U.S is a nation-state, but something rather unique to the Anglosphere (a federation of individuals?) One sees this in Europe as well. The more diverse the European country the higher the rate of violence. 

Remember, as much as it seems as if the U.S is just a European offspring, it has had a vastly different history and a different societal structure overall. 

sc94597 said:
vivster said:

The sailed ship mentality is certainly not helpful either. Just shows how broken everything is.

Let me ask you this. Are there more lives saved by civil gun ownership or more deaths caused by it? And I'm not talking about criminals.

The sad truth is, a gun will not protect your life or that of your family if you are actually attacked because the attacker will always shoot first. Protecting anything with your gun is a tall tale the gun lobby loves to tell to sell more guns to people. And apparently a lot of people are eating that bullshit up.

No, it shows that one is being realistic and thinking about realistic solutions that help law-abiding people. It is easy to look at it from the distance and think lowering the statistics should be as simple as enacting legislation, but it isn't. This is a complicated issue, that a few laws just won't fix. Regardless, homocide rates are declining quite healthily, and hopefully if we solve some more fundamental problems they'll decline even more rapidly. 

From what I've seen of the statistics, in addition to my common intuition living here, there are more lives saves. The majority of home-intruders don't have guns, but that doesn't mean they can't rape or kill you. Here are just a few stories I've read and sympathized with in the last few months. 

http://thelibertydoll.com/2016/05/13/barb-moles-80-year-old-shoots-home-intruder/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clW2jtv6qFc

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/21/14-year-old-uses-rifle-to-protect-siblings-from-alleged-home-invaders/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/02/elderly-man-buys-gun-monday-morning-for-self-defense-shoots-alleged-burglar-monday-night/

http://dailycaller.com/2016/01/10/five-times-elderly-people-used-guns-to-save-themselves/

These are the weak in society. The young and elderly. They are taught how to use weapons properly from a young age. And they have protected themselves because of it. I don't see how the "gun lobby" has made these actual cases up. And I have seen plenty like them on the news. And these are only the stories of action. There are plenty more stories where guns are used as deterrents. 

1. The sources you linked are proudly biased and only reply stories that support their already held beliefs. Which is why they report individual stories, rather than actual data.

2. You are much more likely to be assaulted or killed by someone you know than by someone breaking into your home. This idea that gun owners are defending themselves from the outside world is misguided.

3. You are significantly more likely to be killed in your own home (both intentionally or accidentally) if there is a gun in the home. 

Guns make people feel safer. But they make them less safe.

http://m.aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

sc94597 said:

The more diverse the European country the higher the rate of violence. 

Eh, Britain is one of the most diverse countries in europe, it has a murder rate of 1.0, the european average is 3.0.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Oh really? Well then you're the reason women should have easier access to abortion clinics.

I really shut you up didn't I?

Abortion clinics, wtf? As if people with your background care about abortion clinics.

I think I dropped one on you.

What do you know about my backgroud huh?

Ljink96 said:
What do we do about this! I can't stand it. We have to stop Isis. This has gone on way too far. Bomb those buggers off the map...is what I'd like to say but it's much more complicated than that. Something has to be done. I'm sick and tired of waking up to shootings. My deep sympathies go out to the families affected by this twisted shithead. Sorry, I'm just livid right now.

We aren't sure this is connected with ISIS, but it certainly is connected with Islam. 

I don't personally think restricting immigration is the solution, but I do like the idea that when immigrants come they are given some education on the liberal values in which the society they are entering has structure itself. It needs to be taught that raping your wife is not allowed, gay people are going to have rights and it won't be made illegal, and there is going to be a lot of things that are ungodly to your eyes. If you don't like it, don't come. So basically from a young age, possibly have special classes for the children of immigrants with the goal of integration. 

I could see how this is politically untenable though, but not any more than restricting immigration. 

I also think there needs to be more pressure on liberal muslims (as there is on christians) to reform their muslim families/friends and not perpetuate illiberal ideas. Muslims can say Christians do it too all they want, but 52% of modern Christians in Britain don't believe homosexuality should be illegal, and many are even becoming okay with it morally in the U.S of all places. Muslims can follow that same path too, just as Christians had. It will take time though. 

WolfpackN64 said:
Slimebeast said:

I really shut you up didn't I?

Abortion clinics, wtf? As if people with your background care about abortion clinics.

Both of you cut it out, I strongly disagree with Slimebeast's stance on stopping immigration and at least to me some of the things he has said in this thread appear racist, as the tumblr peeps would say i've been TRIGGERED.

But there's no need to both start hurling personal insults at each other when like you say neither of you know anything about each other. Both of you calm down.

Barkley said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Both of you cut it out, I strongly disagree with Slimebeast's stance on stopping immigration and at least to me some of the things he has said in this thread appear racist, as the tumblr peeps would say i've been TRIGGERED.

But there's no need to both start hurling personal insults at each other when like you say neither of you know anything about each other. Both of you calm down.

Yeah, you're right. It's disrespectful to the victims of this disaster and immature.

My apologies.

Barkley said:
sc94597 said:

The more diverse the European country the higher the rate of violence. 

Eh, Britain is one of the most diverse countries in europe, it has a murder rate of 1.0, the european average is 3.0.

Violence is more than murder rate. But it is wrong to compare it to the European average anyway. The implicit assumption was for the same level economic prosperity, obviously poverty is the largest factor influencing violent crime. Even then, it still stands though. Relatively homogenous countries like Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Poland, Czech Republic, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Slovenia, etc  have even lower crime rates than Britain.