By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii finally Breaks it's top % market share with 44.5%!!!

I have to admit, I do find the retrospective amusing. The group who say it won't reach 50% by year end aren't that bad, even I'm not so certain about that, but the group that claims Wii will never hit 50% just amuses me.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:
I have to admit, I do find the retrospective amusing. The group who say it won't reach 50% by year end aren't that bad, even I'm not so certain about that, but the group that claims Wii will never hit 50% just amuses me.

Well, it's possible that the Wii will never reach 50%. Looking at how the number work, the Wii has to outsell the PS3 + Xbox 360 combined and make up an additional 5.69 million units.  I don't think the Wii has managed to make up many units since I created the "will the wii reach 50% marketshare in 2008" thread early this year.

The reason is that it isn't dependent so much on the Wii's sales alone, but it is dependent a lot on the PS3's sales, and even the Xbox 360's sales. If MS comes around and gets the price of the 360 below the price of the Wii here in America, it could become a bigger factor here again (not bigger than the Wii in the US, of course, but perhaps bigger than the PS3 in the US). 

even if MS drops X360's price down to wii, i dont think it would affect Wii that much since both consoles are targeting different markets. back to basics. Definitely seen on this week's charts, Wii outselling both PS3 and 360 combined.

Ail said:

Problem is there a lot of people posting wild guesses but few that actually did the maths or most people would realize their predictions are totally unrealistics...

Take last week total world wide numbers.

Now lets make the best case prevision for the Wii.

From now forwards :

Wii weekly sales : 400k ( 400k is like the best week the Wii has had since Januray 1st, in average the sales are lower and they can't really be much higher due to production..)
Xbox360 weekly sales : 150k ( maybe a little above average sales since january)
PS3 weekly sales : 175k ( it's been average sales since January)

In 26 weeks from now you would have :

Wii: 32.64 Millions 47.1% marketshare
Xbox360 : 21.47 Millions 31% market share
PS3 : 14.71 Millions 22% market share.

In 1 year from now ?

Wii : 43.04 Millions, 48.8% market share
Xbox360 : 25.37 Millions, 28.8% Market share
PS3 : 19.79 Millions, 22.4% Market share.

Do the same exercise with more realist numbers :

Wii weekly sales : 300k ( average since Jan 1st)

Xbox360 : 135k (average since Jan 1st)

PS3 : 175K (average since Jan 1st)

26 weeks from now you have :

Wii :30.24 Millions 45.4%

XBox360 : 21.11 Millions 31.7 %

PS3 : 15.24 Millions 22.9%

1 year from now you have :

Wii : 38.04 Millions, 46.1%

Xbox360 : 24.62 Millions 29.9%

PS3 : 19.79 Millions 24%

Wii would hit 45% 16 weeks from now..

That is of course totally ignoring any sales boost the PS3 and Xbox360 are currently having as well as GTAIV or any other mega title

Now look at those numbers again and tell me how you have Wii reaching 50% marketshare this summer or even at the end of the year..............

Doubters................................. Lol.

Imagine the boost in percentage that Wii could get from Wii Fit. 

PSaiki said:
Ail said:

Problem is there a lot of people posting wild guesses but few that actually did the maths or most people would realize their predictions are totally unrealistics...

Take last week total world wide numbers.

Now lets make the best case prevision for the Wii.

From now forwards :

Wii weekly sales : 400k ( 400k is like the best week the Wii has had since Januray 1st, in average the sales are lower and they can't really be much higher due to production..)
Xbox360 weekly sales : 150k ( maybe a little above average sales since january)
PS3 weekly sales : 175k ( it's been average sales since January)

In 26 weeks from now you would have :

Wii: 32.64 Millions 47.1% marketshare
Xbox360 : 21.47 Millions 31% market share
PS3 : 14.71 Millions 22% market share.

In 1 year from now ?

Wii : 43.04 Millions, 48.8% market share
Xbox360 : 25.37 Millions, 28.8% Market share
PS3 : 19.79 Millions, 22.4% Market share.

Do the same exercise with more realist numbers :

Wii weekly sales : 300k ( average since Jan 1st)

Xbox360 : 135k (average since Jan 1st)

PS3 : 175K (average since Jan 1st)

26 weeks from now you have :

Wii :30.24 Millions 45.4%

XBox360 : 21.11 Millions 31.7 %

PS3 : 15.24 Millions 22.9%

1 year from now you have :

Wii : 38.04 Millions, 46.1%

Xbox360 : 24.62 Millions 29.9%

PS3 : 19.79 Millions 24%

Wii would hit 45% 16 weeks from now..

That is of course totally ignoring any sales boost the PS3 and Xbox360 are currently having as well as GTAIV or any other mega title

Now look at those numbers again and tell me how you have Wii reaching 50% marketshare this summer or even at the end of the year..............

Doubters................................. Lol.

Imagine the boost in percentage that Wii could get from Wii Fit. 

As well as athe boost form 1.8 million to 2.4 million production units per month.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Guess who's up to 45%?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Another way to look at whether the Wii can get 50% of the market, is to break it down by geographical region.  In Japan, the Wii has got it made there.  It only has to beat the PS3 and is doing that handily so far, and I have to say into the future for some time.

In Other, Wii has its hands full.  PS3 is so strong there, I don't know if the Wii can beat it and the X360 as well.  http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3&reg2=Total+Other&cons3=X360&reg3=Total+Other&start=39208&end=39572

Those two regions taken together, the Wii is managing to keep 50% and probably can keep doing so.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&start=39208&end=39572

is the chart for America sales.  And while the Wii is not doing more than 50%, it is on the weeks that it has product to sell.  With the increase in production, perhaps the shipments can even out.  If they do even out at say 250k a week, that should be enough to keep the number creeping up towards 50%. 

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Didnt the Wii launch recently in Korea?

"Like you know"

^ yeah it did,
I think last week with around 10k first week

Kool I havent seen any separate number about it here now.

Also Wii is at 45% market share total.

"Like you know"