By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ‘Warcraft’ Fever Hits China as Advance Sales Reach $20.4 Million

HeavenlyWarrior said:
binary solo said:

Who do you mean by "regular people"? Fans of the game? They will be inclined to like it more because of the fan service. But as a not fan of the game I can't really give game fan's opinions much credit, because some of the things they like will completely pass me by. "genre fans" i.e. people who like fantasy, DnD etc? Arguably they aren't "regular people" either. Gamers? There are some gamers who dislike Warcraft as intensly as some gamers love it, so there is a wide diversity among gamers. If you were to ask the average Joe / Jane on the street I'm inclined to think they will line up pretty well with Rotten tomatoes, about 1/4 will like it.

IMO there aren't many regular people who have seen the movie, yet. And even among Warcraft fans there isn't universal like of the movie. Take the fan service out of the movie, and a lot of Warcraft fans can see plenty about the movie that makes for a significantly flawed movie.

I went to see it with 3 girls that didn't even know what warcraft is, the three of them liked the movie, and one of them cried 4 times

Actually, I talked to people after the movie, and 90% liked it

There is a girl that said that she slept through x-men, but was impressed, 'cause warcraft is a beautiful story, according to her

I think you have to see the movie by yourself, you're gonna like it

Well, I entered a competition at my local cinema for 2 free tickets, so there's a chance I might see it in the cinema after all. If I don;t get the free tickets I'm likely to wait for it to come to the small screen.

Crying...4 times...seriously? I can't think of a single movie in all my life that had me crying 4 times, and I'm pretty damned sure my wife has never cried that many times in a single movie. So I'm not going to attach any significance to that statement. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
binary solo said:

Good to have a more or less confirmed financial benchmark for profitability. If it manages a worldwide box office of >$300 million then we are looking at a break even movie. It's already made $70 million overseas and with China adding about $30 million it's 1/3 of the way there. If USA opening weekend is $25 million I don't expect it to get much more than $50 million as I expect fans to see it at the opening, but most of the general audience being swayed by the general scepticism towards video game movies along with the low review scores. So we have $150 million pretty much guaranteed, which means it needs solid openings in the remaining significant markets and reasonable legs to get to $300 million.

Personally I think the opening weekends will need to be pretty good because I don't see the movie having legs.

Studios get only 25% of the ticket sales in China, if a lot of the revenue will come from there then they will need more than  $300m to break even. 

Probably more like minimum $350m needed (well, depends how much would come from CHina)

It's at $168 million outside the USA at the moment, with 2 more markets to open in the next week or so. Even with a poor box office in the USA of ~$50 it's looking like the movie will probably reach break even. Which will be impressive. But doesn;t really break any VG movie curse. The curse has never been about profitability. There have been several VG movies that have been profitable. The curse has always about mostly getting bad reviews, and Warcraft isn't breaking that curse. However, as a genuinely big budget movie, if it breaks even and earns itself a sequel it will do a lot to give VG adaptations a boost in perception of financial viability. But i don't particularly care about financial viability. I actually want to see a VG adaptation being a critical success.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
HeavenlyWarrior said:

I went to see it with 3 girls that didn't even know what warcraft is, the three of them liked the movie, and one of them cried 4 times

Actually, I talked to people after the movie, and 90% liked it

There is a girl that said that she slept through x-men, but was impressed, 'cause warcraft is a beautiful story, according to her

I think you have to see the movie by yourself, you're gonna like it

Well, I entered a competition at my local cinema for 2 free tickets, so there's a chance I might see it in the cinema after all. If I don;t get the free tickets I'm likely to wait for it to come to the small screen.

Crying...4 times...seriously? I can't think of a single movie in all my life that had me crying 4 times, and I'm pretty damned sure my wife has never cried that many times in a single movie. So I'm not going to attach any significance to that statement. 

But she did... I'm not lying to you

You have to see the movie by yourself... you shouldn't follow the critics opinion

I'm telling you the truth, the movie was released in brasil, and everybody in the session that I talked to liked it, not only fans

I don't know why you think me and everyone is lying, while the critics are telling the truth

HeavenlyWarrior said:
binary solo said:

But she did... I'm not lying to you

You have to see the movie by yourself... you shouldn't follow the critics opinion

I'm telling you the truth, the movie was released in brasil, and everybody in the session that I talked to liked it, not only fans

I don't know why you think me and everyone is lying, while the critics are telling the truth

Sorry for giving you the impression I thought you lied. I do believe you that this girl cried 4 times. I just think she must cry extremely easily because I cannot believe this movie is more cry-worthy than any movie I've ever seen in the past 35 years. Hence I give the fact she cried 4 times no credit for how worthy the movie might be. Maybe Brazilians are a much more emotional lot than in my country.

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
HeavenlyWarrior said:

Don't go by the critics, ask regular people that have seen the movie

Who do you mean by "regular people"? Fans of the game? They will be inclined to like it more because of the fan service. But as a not fan of the game I can't really give game fan's opinions much credit, because some of the things they like will completely pass me by. "genre fans" i.e. people who like fantasy, DnD etc? Arguably they aren't "regular people" either. Gamers? There are some gamers who dislike Warcraft as intensly as some gamers love it, so there is a wide diversity among gamers. If you were to ask the average Joe / Jane on the street I'm inclined to think they will line up pretty well with Rotten tomatoes, about 1/4 will like it.

IMO there aren't many regular people who have seen the movie, yet. And even among Warcraft fans there isn't universal like of the movie. Take the fan service out of the movie, and a lot of Warcraft fans can see plenty about the movie that makes for a significantly flawed movie.

Take anything that makes it Wacraft and you'll see it as a shit movie, make it pander to non WoW fans and you'll see it as a flawed movie and yes those can also be general flaws. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

But Warcraft isn't a shit movie. A shit movie is one that gets multiple nominations for razzies. I don't think it will get that. A shit movie is one that gets

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
But Warcraft isn't a shit movie. A shit movie is one that gets multiple nominations for razzies. I don't think it will get that. A shit movie is one that gets <10% on rotten tomatoes and <3>

And that's why shit movies will always be remembered as shit movies.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

crissindahouse said:
binary solo said:

Good to have a more or less confirmed financial benchmark for profitability. If it manages a worldwide box office of >$300 million then we are looking at a break even movie. It's already made $70 million overseas and with China adding about $30 million it's 1/3 of the way there. If USA opening weekend is $25 million I don't expect it to get much more than $50 million as I expect fans to see it at the opening, but most of the general audience being swayed by the general scepticism towards video game movies along with the low review scores. So we have $150 million pretty much guaranteed, which means it needs solid openings in the remaining significant markets and reasonable legs to get to $300 million.

Personally I think the opening weekends will need to be pretty good because I don't see the movie having legs.

Studios get only 25% of the ticket sales in China, if a lot of the revenue will come from there then they will need more than  $300m to break even. 

Probably more like minimum $350m needed (well, depends how much would come from CHina)

As the movie itself was funded partly by chinese studios and one of the studios own 1/4 of all the cinemas in China. Does this still apply?

Ultr said:
crissindahouse said:

As the movie itself was funded partly by chinese studios and one of the studios own 1/4 of all the cinemas in China. Does this still apply?

No clue, didn't even know that  

Ultr said:
crissindahouse said:

I imagine this makes the break even a lot lower than what it would otherwise be. Probably puts the China returns back at 50% of gross.

I've just seen the Angry Joe review, who was the second video game fan movie reviewer I was looking at as an indicator for the movie. And I'm now conflicted. He didn't outright say the movie was good, as he said there were problems with it, then he gave it a 7/10 and still recommended people see it, but more so it could make enough to earn a sequel. But then he said Mortal Kombat is a better VG adaptation than Warcraft, and I didn't really like Mortal Combat. He was equivocal about the movie, and Jeremy Jahns was also equivocal. So I'm inclined to give it a miss.

Jimi Hendrix