By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - ‘Warcraft’ Fever Hits China as Advance Sales Reach $20.4 Million

HeavenlyWarrior said:
Ultr said:

Do you think so? I guess they will continue exactely where the first movie ended. The story of durotan's son story

They can't do it, they have to tell the story of the second war, and they need two movies to do that

Oh cool. I don't know that story. Do you know in what timeframe that plays? like in years?

Around the Network
Ultr said:
HeavenlyWarrior said:

They can't do it, they have to tell the story of the second war, and they need two movies to do that

Oh cool. I don't know that story. Do you know in what timeframe that plays? like in years?

Hmm, as far as I remember, the second war begins right after the first one, it begins when stormwind is destroyed and they have to run away from there, to the kingdom of lordearon, there they form the alliance, and fight the horde back, that would be the second movie...

the characters would be

Lothar
Uther, The lightbringer
Turalyon
Alleria
khadgar

(these two are gonna return in wow legion, I think blizzard wants people to know them before the second movie)

Orgrim doohammer
gul'dan
cho'gal
the demon kil'jaeden

I don't know how they will adapt, the story will go through some modifications of course

The story of the son of durotan will be, like, 18 years after the first war...

HeavenlyWarrior said:
Ultr said:

Hmm, as far as I remember, the second war begins right after the first one, it begins when stormwind is destroyed and they have to run away from there, to the kingdom of lordearon, there they form the alliance, and fight the horde back, that would be the second movie...

the characters would be

Lothar
Uther, The lightbringer
Turalyon
Alleria
khadgar

(these two are gonna return in wow legion, I think blizzard wants people to know them before the second movie)

Orgrim doohammer
gul'dan
cho'gal
the demon kil'jaeden

I don't know how they will adapt, the story will go through some modifications of course

The story of the son of durotan will be, like, 18 years after the first war...

ok I guess it wouldn't be too much years then. As far as I remember "the lord of clans" the war was already over and the "horde" were just splinter groups.

Well cant wait for the second movie :D :D

It looks so crap to me. An orgy of CG wrapped around a bunch of lazy, juvenile ideas I've seen sooo many times, and seen done better. That's my impression based off of the tv spots. I just looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes after that first sentence....Looks like lots of people don't like it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Don't go by the critics, ask regular people that have seen the movie

Around the Network
HeavenlyWarrior said:
Ultr said:

Do you think so? I guess they will continue exactely where the first movie ended. The story of durotan's son story

I'm pretty sure they mixed in the second war thing on this one. I don't want to give spoilers.

Ultr said:
Nem said:
Good! Cause i really want to watch the sequal/s. The origin story is the most boring thing. It gets more interesting from here onwards.
Next movie will start with the warcraft 3 story.

The durotan's son story thing, is exactly warcraft 3. They just have one more thing to do, wich can be done at the beggining of the next movie.

Nem said:
HeavenlyWarrior said:

I'm pretty sure they mixed in the second war thing on this one. I don't want to give spoilers.

Ultr said:

The durotan's son story thing, is exactly warcraft 3. They just have one more thing to do, wich can be done at the beggining of the next movie.

I mean the story of how he grows up (the lord of the clans book)

HeavenlyWarrior said:

Who do you mean by "regular people"? Fans of the game? They will be inclined to like it more because of the fan service. But as a not fan of the game I can't really give game fan's opinions much credit, because some of the things they like will completely pass me by. "genre fans" i.e. people who like fantasy, DnD etc? Arguably they aren't "regular people" either. Gamers? There are some gamers who dislike Warcraft as intensly as some gamers love it, so there is a wide diversity among gamers. If you were to ask the average Joe / Jane on the street I'm inclined to think they will line up pretty well with Rotten tomatoes, about 1/4 will like it.

IMO there aren't many regular people who have seen the movie, yet. And even among Warcraft fans there isn't universal like of the movie. Take the fan service out of the movie, and a lot of Warcraft fans can see plenty about the movie that makes for a significantly flawed movie.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
HeavenlyWarrior said:

Who do you mean by "regular people"? Fans of the game? They will be inclined to like it more because of the fan service. But as a not fan of the game I can't really give game fan's opinions much credit, because some of the things they like will completely pass me by. "genre fans" i.e. people who like fantasy, DnD etc? Arguably they aren't "regular people" either. Gamers? There are some gamers who dislike Warcraft as intensly as some gamers love it, so there is a wide diversity among gamers. If you were to ask the average Joe / Jane on the street I'm inclined to think they will line up pretty well with Rotten tomatoes, about 1/4 will like it.

IMO there aren't many regular people who have seen the movie, yet. And even among Warcraft fans there isn't universal like of the movie. Take the fan service out of the movie, and a lot of Warcraft fans can see plenty about the movie that makes for a significantly flawed movie.

I went to see it with 3 girls that didn't even know what warcraft is, the three of them liked the movie, and one of them cried 4 times

Actually, I talked to people after the movie, and 90% liked it

There is a girl that said that she slept through x-men, but was impressed, 'cause warcraft is a beautiful story, according to her

I think you have to see the movie by yourself, you're gonna like it

binary solo said:

Good to have a more or less confirmed financial benchmark for profitability. If it manages a worldwide box office of >$300 million then we are looking at a break even movie. It's already made $70 million overseas and with China adding about $30 million it's 1/3 of the way there. If USA opening weekend is $25 million I don't expect it to get much more than $50 million as I expect fans to see it at the opening, but most of the general audience being swayed by the general scepticism towards video game movies along with the low review scores. So we have $150 million pretty much guaranteed, which means it needs solid openings in the remaining significant markets and reasonable legs to get to $300 million.

Personally I think the opening weekends will need to be pretty good because I don't see the movie having legs.

Studios get only 25% of the ticket sales in China, if a lot of the revenue will come from there then they will need more than  $300m to break even. 

Probably more like minimum $350m needed (well, depends how much would come from CHina)