By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Society lets you go from an asshole to "truther" with one word

personally i find truther more offensive than asshole.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Normchacho said:

Of course. Everyone has their problem, and yes, everyone has their crosses to bare. But am I really supposed to believe that being called a racist or a sexist (both of which I have been called) is the same as being less likely to get a job, or being vastly more likely to get raped?

Don't get me wrong, as I said in an earlier post, I don't feel guilty about other peoples hardships. But that doesn't mean it's okay to belittle them.

I strongly doubt people of color are more likely do get raped because of their skin. It's like the wage gap feminists whine about and prison sentence gap the MRAs whine about. To blame those things on sexism or racism is to ignore very obvious variables that have nothing to do with race or sex of the individuals concerned.

Belittling would mean that those things aren't little to begin with. And I think they are. Many people need excuses for their failed lives, so they need to pin it on society instead of taking responsibility. For example even if I accept that people of color have a harder time finding jobs... it's still the responsiblity of every individual if they fail at it. Think of it like this: If an ugly face gives you a harder time finding a girlfriend, do you whine about society preferring pretty faces? No, you hit the gym and get a hot body instead. And the same thing can be done about every of the so-called hardships of minorities and women.

I agree with you.

Have to laugh every time I hear someone saying western women are an oppressed class

Lawlight said:
Normchacho said:

I don't have to. Look at the OP. If your major complaints about injustice and hipocricy in society are about who gets to make jokes about who, things aren't that bad. Especially considering all of the things going on that ARE worth worrying about and that ARE worth saying something about? Things that people of all races, genders, religions, whatever, have to work through and live with? In a world where getting an eductation is both more important to have and more difficult to attain I'm supposed to sit here and nod my head and get angry about someone making jokes about white people?

In fact, I find it demeaning that I'm supposed to do anything but laugh at a thread like this. It's offensive that people would think it's worth our time to complain about nonsense like this.

So, I take it that you find people complaining about being fat shamed offensive as well? I mean by your own logic, there's way more things to worry about. 

No,no,no,no. Don't for one second mistake this thread as equal to a personal story about being body shamed.

This is one guy (well, a few people actually) taking opinions of a very small segment of people on the internet, projecting them out onto society as a whole, and then claiming that society is being hypocritical and unfair to groups that, in a genearal sense, don't suffer the kind of injustices being presented. Since the majority of society doesn't perscripe to the opinions in the OP.

1. Saying "men are horrible" in normal society is NOT acceptable.

2. Saying "White peope need to stop commiting crimes" is both something your unlikely to ever actually here, and isn't something that's going to garner any sort of agreement pretty much no matter who you're with.

3. It is totally acceptable in most instances to say you prefer skinny people. What isn't okay, is to shame somebody for being skinny.

4.  Not only is it okay to say that Muslims need to reform their issues, but if someone says that than it is a particularly level headed conversation on the topic.

5. What the fuck is a heterosexual joke?

6. If you think it's not okay to tell jokes about liberals, you aren't spending enough time with conservatives.

The complaints in the OP are not societal problems. My issue, and what I find offensive, is that I'm supposed to be upset over made up bs like this.

This OP is for people who live in a bubble.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Lawlight said:
Where are the articles about this?:

https://i.sli.mg/68k7eh.jpg

What would that article be, exactley? What would it look like? What's the headline?

"8 black people say something shitty about white people over gorilla incident:"? It isn't news worthy. Those are just 8 random people being shitty on Twitter.

Oh, and to avoid any confusion going forward....No, talking about people getting death threats is not the same.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Psychotic said:
Normchacho said:

Of course. Everyone has their problem, and yes, everyone has their crosses to bare. But am I really supposed to believe that being called a racist or a sexist (both of which I have been called) is the same as being less likely to get a job, or being vastly more likely to get raped?

Don't get me wrong, as I said in an earlier post, I don't feel guilty about other peoples hardships. But that doesn't mean it's okay to belittle them.

I strongly doubt people of color are more likely do get raped because of their skin. It's like the wage gap feminists whine about and prison sentence gap the MRAs whine about. To blame those things on sexism or racism is to ignore very obvious variables that have nothing to do with race or sex of the individuals concerned.

Belittling would mean that those things aren't little to begin with. And I think they are. Many people need excuses for their failed lives, so they need to pin it on society instead of taking responsibility. For example even if I accept that people of color have a harder time finding jobs... it's still the responsiblity of every individual if they fail at it. Think of it like this: If an ugly face gives you a harder time finding a girlfriend, do you whine about society preferring pretty faces? No, you hit the gym and get a hot body instead. And the same thing can be done about every of the so-called hardships of minorities and women.

Was talking about gender in that specific example.

Edit: I should point out that your example isn't very good. When choosing something as personal as a significant other, any and everything becomes a factor. When a business is choosing an employee, race is not a legitimate factor in making that decision.

And of course it's our responsibility as individuals to work to make our lives better. But you can work through your disadvantages and speak up about injustices you see in the world around you.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

OP is basically a giant, unsubstantiated strawman fallacy.

Welcome to the internet and the PC people...

I couldn't care less about jokes... I have been "victim" of bullying for my whole school life and see no problem with it. And I'll keep doing my jokes with my friends, which are gay, black, women and of course hetero, white/yellow and men.

Since they know what I truly think they know it's a joke and the ones that don't know me and want to judge, I couldn't care less about their opinion.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hershel_layton said:
Metallox said:

A guy that is truth.

"(Joke about gays)" Asshole

"(Joke about heterosexuals)" Absolutely fine

There are jokes about heterosexuals?

E: Forget, definitely there are.

They're absolutely hilarious. However, apparently it's offensive if you say one thing about gays.

usually people will make jokes about straight people. I laugh it off because I'm not a baby I know that it's a joke.

could you tell me one of these "Straight jokes"? I've never heard one and now I'm curious.

I LOVE ICELAND!

OP is basically a giant, unsubstantiated strawman fallacy.