By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer- They Are Biased Against The Wii... Their Reviews Prove It

How do these Wii scores compare to their scores for PS3 and 360 games? Do they generally rate PS3 and 360 games above the average rating?

Around the Network

Ok, I did a quick check of some PS3 and 360 scores and they seem to be a bit low on them too. Should have done that first. I just saw the 7/10 for RE4 and decided to see what else they screwed. They need to get rid of the asinine 10 point system to get some precision into their scores.

However, that said. They do still appear to be more harsh on Wii games. It is fair to say that if they were taken out "almost" every game would go up.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
No I am just pointing out how flawed their system is. Like I pointed out they tend to take the low side on Wii games. Like if it is an 8.7 game for most places they give it a 8, instead of a 9... ALWAYS.

You realize that they are harsh on everyone right? They gave Resistance a 6 and Heavenly Sword a 5. (or was it EDGE?)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

bigjon said:

I have been noticing a pattern of Eurogamer dragging down Wii scores on Gamerankings so I did some research. And it is very true, Eurogamer almost aways has one of THE lowest reviews for any Wii game. They need to cut it out... Some of these reviews dont even make any sense... 7/10 for RE4? 5/10 for RRR2? 6/10 for EO? They are really ridiculous.

Other reviewesr that I have seen that give really bad score for some games, you know the kind that make you go WTF!!, usually give higher for some others. Not Eurogamer....

RE4- 7/10 (lowest review on Gamerankings)

MKWii- 8/10 (again lowest so far on GR)

Z&W- 8/10 (bottom 20% of scores)

Super Paper Mario- 8/10 (again one of the lowest scores)

NMH 8/10 (below the average, not as bad as the other were)

TP- 9/10 (great score, but again one of the lowest.... besides gamespot and some other unknown sites)

Wario Ware - 7/10 (5th lowest out of 63 reviews)

Bully 8/10 (15th out of 20 reviews)

Endless Ocean 6/10 (only 2 reveiws out of 35 were worse)

Ghost Squad 6/10 (40+ reviews this is one of the lowest)

RRR2 5/10 (terribly low score, out of 36 only one was lower)

RE:UC 7/10 (again right near the bottom)

RRR- 7/10 (much lower than the average score)

Monkey Ball- 6/10 (right near the bottom out of 60 reviews)

Exceptions.. SMG(they gave it a 10) MP3(a 9) and the trauma center series... those were the only 4 games they were actually higher than the average

Those aren't that absurd scores...

You could make your argument a lot stronger next time by showing some comparisons to PS3, 360, and PC games that they were generous with.

If this is truly a bias against a single system then it would be reflected in the relative scores of the platforms not just the scores of the Wii. I could for instance make a review site where scores were from 0 to 10 and a 5 was considered average with 10 being absolute perfection. Giving a game like brawl or SMG a high 8 or a low 9 on that scale is a valid score. And it proves no bias against any console.

You have to show that comparison if you're going to yell "Bias!" or your voice will quickly get drowned out in a sea of fanboyism....actually now that I think about it that happens either way =P

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Woah Montana, that was a late double post, lol.

And bigjon, most games would probably go up if they were removed, but most likely a negligible amount (0.1% -v0.3%), especially ones with 60+ reviews.

Name ---------------- GR avg----Eurogamer Rockband------------ 90.9%-----80% ---lowest score Uncharted----------- 89.8% -----90%---spot on Ratchet and Clank--88.5%------80%---only 4 scores were lower Orange Box ---------87.3%------80%----only 2 scores were lower Burnout Paradise---87.2%------80%----only 3 scores were lower Ninja Gaiden Sigma-87%--------70%----tied for lowest score Resistance-----------86.7%------70%----only 1 score was lower And that is just going down the list. I am sure the point has already been conveyed, but eurogamer just seems to be harsh. Not everybody is out to get the wii.

Most of those seem about right, except RE of course.
Europe is not Nintendo land, it has not been since the early 90's and this is bound to show in many European reviews.
In fact; if you look closely, most low score will come from European gaming sites/magazines, its just the simple fact that Nintendo is not top dog in Europe that drags down the scores imo.
And its not like other reviewers aren't biased towards other consoles (Gamespot really picked on the PS3 up until this year and IGN seemed slightly harsh at times to the 360).
Why is it a catastrophe that not everyone in the world adores the Wii at all turns and all costs? Its doing great, stop complaining already!

lol.

Mummelmann said:
Most of those seem about right, except RE of course.
Europe is not Nintendo land, it has not been since the early 90's and this is bound to show in many European reviews.
In fact; if you look closely, most low score will come from European gaming sites/magazines, its just the simple fact that Nintendo is not top dog in Europe that drags down the scores imo.
And its not like other reviewers aren't biased towards other consoles (Gamespot really picked on the PS3 up until this year and IGN seemed slightly harsh at times to the 360).
Why is it a catastrophe that not everyone in the world adores the Wii at all turns and all costs? Its doing great, stop complaining already!

Don't be foolish. If you're claiming that European websites are judging games because of the system they're on, then they are biased and shouldn't be considered credible.

Wheather they "love the Wii" or not doesn't matter. It's stupid to judge a game based on the hardware on which it performs, rather than the quality of development.

Nintendo games aren't "all the same" and grouping them together to give them a lower score just because they are made by Nintendo, a company that is "not very popular" means the reviewers are stupid and biased.

Also, I dunno if you've seen the sales figures lately, but Europe is Nintendoland, wake up. It's only the entheusiast press that refuses to accept it.

That said, I don't think any of the sites I read, European or otherwise, are biased against the Wii or any system, except for Giantbomb.com who is in the hole for Microsoft. None of these reviews are "about right" that's also retarded to say, imo, because no one person will agree with every single review out of the bunch, unless they are indeed trying to lend creedance to the website, and those people certainly haven't played, judged, and rated all the games mentioned, but I don't think any of them are ludcrious scores, out side of RE4, and even then, there is at least some semi-justification for the score.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.