By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are we still using discs instead of cartridges?

What should we use based on expenses?

Cartridges 201 52.48%

Discs 182 47.52%

Total:383

Mummelmann said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But do you see the point I made? Not enough consumers are willing to buy a digital only console.

Just like not enough consumers were willing to purchase the first cellphones with a camera, the first smartphone, the first tablet, Steam had a really slow and bumpy start, electric cars were a fad the first time the showed up, the first digital cameras were too expensive, had poor storage and inferior objectives etc. If someone says "object or solution x is the future", you can't simply point to current consumer habbits and claim that the statement is false.

There is already a massive movement towards digital, movies, TV series and music have made the transition and optical media make up for a small percentage now, but the digital alternatives had a slow start. Games are harder, they take up more room and require faster connections to download in a reasonable amount of time, but connection speeds are increasing all the time, even phones have access to 50-80Mbit networks out of the box now, and storage solutions are becoming bigger and cheaper by the month, my 500GB SSD would have cost 5-6 times as much only 3-4 years ago. Not to mention game-streaming, which is about to become a viable option as well, completely bypassing the storage issues. A connection that can stream 4K images should have no problems streaming the main assets from a big-budget game.

People used the same arguments about HD images that you're using about digital games now, they said it was a non-factor due to a slow start, people were plastering the forums with the statistics on blu-ray sales vs DVD and having a merry old time and taking about how immensely long it would take for HD TV's to ever become standard and how the upgrade was also not necessary to begin with. And here we are. Same thing was about digital music when MP3 rolled around, poor sound quality, shoddy (and illegal) services, bad compression and poor compatibility. Solutions arrived in time and things changed and the market never looked back.

Bottom line; saying that consumers do not have a habbit today does in no way disarm arguments claiming that they might in the near future. The mainstream consumer changes habbits pretty quickly when they come around, and they leave existing solutions and platforms really quickly as well.

Edit; smartphone and tablet games are digital only, they're pulling in billions and billions of dollars every year, so it's not like consumers aren't willing to embrace a fully realized and streamlined digital-only platform. Yes, traditional games are more complex but the point still stands.

Yes.

I don't understand this problem about downloading. Disc today are just a key to install the game and then download updates, patches and DLCs anyway.

Without connectivity, games don't work. We have to download stuff.

10 hours of download is annoying but you don't need to do this everyday.

People are now streaming music. In some years games will be streamed too.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

Because other devs are trying to appeal to other media. They want an all in one device. Blu rays are on disk, so that is what they go to. Which is also why eventually everything WILL be download only. Maybe not quite yet though.

RolStoppable said:

You have no point, that's the issue. Nintendo's games may increase in file size, but so do cards. Yet you still want to argue that cards somehow don't make sense, as if cards will be stuck at 4GB.

Did I say that cartridges were stuck at 4GB ? 

Sure thing almighty rol, I definitely have no point like you say ...

CaptainExplosion said:
Need I remind anyone that there's still the risk of the digital only console breaking, you having to buy a new system, but when you go to download the game again it's de-listed from the service. There's nothing to stop that from happening.

And if the more brittle cartridge breaks? Blu-ray discs are nearly indestructible, especially compared to CD's and DVD's. Besides, games that old may not work anyway, GTA V, for instance, required a particular firmware update on the PS3 to even start, there's no saying whether games will work on old consoles when support is dropped and there are no more updates. This is especially so with more modern games and consoles.

CaptainExplosion said:
Mummelmann said:

And if the more brittle cartridge breaks? Blu-ray discs are nearly indestructible, especially compared to CD's and DVD's. Besides, games that old may not work anyway, GTA V, for instance, required a particular firmware update on the PS3 to even start, there's no saying whether games will work on old consoles when support is dropped and there are no more updates. This is especially so with more modern games and consoles.

I wasn't talking about cartridges.

Regardless; games not functioning or being unavailable is a problem both with physical formats and digital. Especially when BC is becoming less and less common, there are very few ways of playing older games, save for re-buying them in an e-store or using emulators, alternately having a dozen consoles under the TV.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

You have no point, that's the issue. Nintendo's games may increase in file size, but so do cards. Yet you still want to argue that cards somehow don't make sense, as if cards will be stuck at 4GB.

Cards don't make financial sense, because they cost more money than optical media (even for small memory sizes).

The only reasons I see why they would do it is because of size contraints (if the NX is a microconsole, or a small portable unit, where even something like a UMD would be too big), or because they plan on using the same cartridge between their home console and the handheld.

I don't foresee anyone going back to cartridges just to be "cool".

SpokenTruth said:
Mummelmann said:

Ever have an SD card break on you?  Or DS, 3DS or Vita?

They are pretty damn tough these days.

Never owned a DS, 3DS or Vita, have had three SD and Micro SD cards, but only for phones. One broke, it was while I had my second Sony Ericsson phone, not the T610 but the one directly after.

Besides; the OP is talking financial sense, which makes the discussion useless at its core since we all know that it's cheaper with discs.

CaptainExplosion said:
Need I remind anyone that there's still the risk of the digital only console breaking, you having to buy a new system, but when you go to download the game again it's de-listed from the service. There's nothing to stop that from happening.

If a game or DLC is removed from the likes of Xbox live or Steam, you can still download it.

With that said, all things must come to an end eventually, those services will be shut down one day... I have a couple of external Hard Drives which stores all my data on it, so if I loose my device, I still have everything.

Backup, backup, backup.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Intrinsic said:
Ck1x said:

But to say catching lightening in a bottle is no different than saying Nintendo threw a hail Mary with the Wii and prayed for the best(which people seem to forget that the DS came first and inspired the Wii concept). The market and software that they had out of the gate proved that they knew it was going to be successful and how the system inspired them to make games. The same can't be said for the WiiU, it not only had horrible marketing but the software really didn't use the system to its potential until late in the systems life. Also Nintendo has had a number of consoles that were deemed sells failures by them because they didn't meet or surpass the previous generation of Nintendo console, but went on to being extremely profitable for the company overall. The GC and WiiU are probably the worst offenders of being categorized as such, because the hardware sells don't match up to the amount of money Nintendo put into making the consoles.

Semantics. How you choose to look at the phrase doesn't change what the phrase means. Contextually, the phrase literally means "to accomplish a difficult feat". 

That's it. Now I say to make hardware that isn't as powerful as what else is out there, to ignore third parties and miss out on the biggest selling franchises, to not have a well developed online structure, to not try and secure third party deals......etc and yet make a console that sells as well the Wii, or even the PS3/360, or even the XB1, make a console that a lot more than the absolute die hard Nintendo faithful want..... is a very very very difficult feat.

If you don't agree with that assessment that's another matter. But is that better now? Is using difficult feat kr challenging situation better for you?

and it really doesn't  matter if over all they are profitable or what not. That's not what we are talking about, but even at that.... if you think Nintendo isn't worried about their current state or doesmt have a lot riding on the NX, then I really don't know what to say. 

The fact that you think whether they are profitable or not is irrelevant makes no sense! These companies are in business to turn a profit first and foremost. I only bring up Nintendo's IP because they've stated numerous times that they plan on branching outside of gaming to grow their brand recognition. Yes it will be a task at hand, but it's not as farfetched as you make it seem like catching lightening in a bottle. Look at how Disney grew the Marvel brand in just a short amount of time. The potential was always there, its just that no one put in the efforts and money that Disney did on a larger scale. This is the same with Nintendo and they have the potential to be something more than what they currently are but people just get stuck on what they've done in the past. 

DM235 said:
RolStoppable said:

Cards don't make financial sense, because they cost more money than optical media (even for small memory sizes).

The only reasons I see why they would do it is because of size contraints (if the NX is a microconsole, or a small portable unit, where even something like a UMD would be too big), or because they plan on using the same cartridge between their home console and the handheld.

I don't foresee anyone going back to cartridges just to be "cool".

Game cards make sense if the ecosystem of the NX allows you to simply buy the game once, insert and play either on your handheld or console NX system  (or whatever they end up calling them).