By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are we still using discs instead of cartridges?

What should we use based on expenses?

Cartridges 201 52.48%

Discs 182 47.52%

Total:383
Mummelmann said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I wasn't talking about cartridges.

Regardless; games not functioning or being unavailable is a problem both with physical formats and digital. Especially when BC is becoming less and less common, there are very few ways of playing older games, save for re-buying them in an e-store or using emulators, alternately having a dozen consoles under the TV.

Hey I don't have a dozen under my tv. I have 23! I love it!

Around the Network
Ck1x said:
DM235 said:

Cards don't make financial sense, because they cost more money than optical media (even for small memory sizes).

The only reasons I see why they would do it is because of size contraints (if the NX is a microconsole, or a small portable unit, where even something like a UMD would be too big), or because they plan on using the same cartridge between their home console and the handheld.

I don't foresee anyone going back to cartridges just to be "cool".

Game cards make sense if the ecosystem of the NX allows you to simply buy the game once, insert and play either on your handheld or console NX system  (or whatever they end up calling them). 

This makes a lot of sense for Nintendo. I think it would be really cool because I like handheld games but don't care for hand helds. That's why I have a super game boy and a pstv.

Ck1x said:

The fact that you think whether they are profitable or not is irrelevant makes no sense! These companies are in business to turn a profit first and foremost. I only bring up Nintendo's IP because they've stated numerous times that they plan on branching outside of gaming to grow their brand recognition. Yes it will be a task at hand, but it's not as farfetched as you make it seem like catching lightening in a bottle. Look at how Disney grew the Marvel brand in just a short amount of time. The potential was always there, its just that no one put in the efforts and money that Disney did on a larger scale. This is the same with Nintendo and they have the potential to be something more than what they currently are but people just get stuck on what they've done in the past. 

Sigh..... ok. Nintendo typically sells every peice of hardware at a profit. Meanig if they sell all they make they will still be profitable at least on the hardware front. 

My point on why it doesnt matter if they are profitable or not, is that this discussion is about their console business. The NX in particular. They can come in and sell only 15M NXs in the next 4yrs and still turn a profit..... i doubt thats what they would consider as being successful though or what they are trying to do when their nearest competitor is making more money than them just from their network services.....

CaptainExplosion said:
Pemalite said:

If a game or DLC is removed from the likes of Xbox live or Steam, you can still download it.

What? How?

Where did p.t. go then?

Ck1x said:
DM235 said:

Cards don't make financial sense, because they cost more money than optical media (even for small memory sizes).

The only reasons I see why they would do it is because of size contraints (if the NX is a microconsole, or a small portable unit, where even something like a UMD would be too big), or because they plan on using the same cartridge between their home console and the handheld.

I don't foresee anyone going back to cartridges just to be "cool".

Game cards make sense if the ecosystem of the NX allows you to simply buy the game once, insert and play either on your handheld or console NX system  (or whatever they end up calling them). 

That is what I just said.  It's still not a very good idea though.  Assuming the home console is more powerful than the handheld, requiring higher capacity cartridges to store the extra textures / data / etc than what would be needed for just the handheld, you would be "losing" money per cartridge for the people who just buy the handheld.  I agree that it would be convenient, but I don't think Nintendo would do this because of the extra costs.

Around the Network
Low78wagon said:
Mummelmann said:

Regardless; games not functioning or being unavailable is a problem both with physical formats and digital. Especially when BC is becoming less and less common, there are very few ways of playing older games, save for re-buying them in an e-store or using emulators, alternately having a dozen consoles under the TV.

Hey I don't have a dozen under my tv. I have 23! I love it!

Damn, that must be one big tv :) Awesome.
I wish I had kept my old consoles, moving from PAL to NTSC country it was kinda pointless at the time.

Low78wagon said:
CaptainExplosion said:

What? How?

Where did p.t. go then?

In Steam it should still be in your library.
I have Dragon Age 2 in my Steam Library despite the fact the game was removed from Steam, there I can continue to download it.

On the Xbox you can go to your download/purchase history and download the DLC/Game from there.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Great Information.

User was warned for this post ~ CGI