By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - First reviews for 'Warcraft' movie (MC: 31/100)

Chazore said:
Johnw1104 said:
I've been concerned for quite some time that this could prove to be a huge dud... When you see the full complement of characters and the portion of Warcraft's history they're trying to tell, that's just faaar too much to introduce and do justice for in a single film.

That and the majority going to see the film won't have played the MMO let alone all those reviewing the film. The film has to be based off of the MMO's story driven lore, so reviewiwers saying "well it should be able to stand on it's own legs" doesn't even know how WoW works, if it were to tell a completely different story then it simply wouldn't be WoW and like the majority of video game movie adaptations, they all diverted away from the source lore material and they all ended up flopping one way or another.

Video game movies for the most part just won't click with the casual audience who don't know nor play any of the games the movies are based on. I expect Creed to also suffer and from the looks of the trailer, the movie itself seems to be stepping away from how the story started with the first game, a sign that already shows of a bad film adaptation. 

I like WoW and it's world/lore, so bad movie or not I'm still going to go watch it with a few mates.

Yeah mainstream appeal is what I always questioned with this... I think if they'd focused on something else, such as Thrall's childhood and initial escape from Blackmoore where there was a reasonable set of characters and a relatable story, they could have had a lot more success. Basically, a film adaptation of the book "Lord of the Clans", though maybe only up through the escape.

From what I can see the direction they went is just too much to cover and absorb for the average person who doesn't know the lore. I've been reading the books since I was a kid before WoW was a thing, so it's pretty easy for me to get right into it with the context already understood, but for everyone else... this time period they chose is very nearly the most complex part of the story, with a huge cast of characters, two different worlds coming together through a portal motivated by even bigger baddies I'm not sure the movie will touch on much... There's just too much going, it'd be like if Marvel tried to do the Avengers from scratch without the lead ins.

There's still the potential that we fans will like it, I suppose, but they really chose the wrong time to represent in a film.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:

Yeah mainstream appeal is what I always questioned with this... I think if they'd focused on something else, such as Thrall's childhood and initial escape from Blackmoore where there was a reasonable set of characters and a relatable story, they could have had a lot more success. Basically, a film adaptation of the book "Lord of the Clans", though maybe only up through the escape.

From what I can see the direction they went is just too much to cover and absorb for the average person who doesn't know the lore. I've been reading the books since I was a kid before WoW was a thing, so it's pretty easy for me to get right into it with the context already understood, but for everyone else... this time period they chose is very nearly the most complex part of the story, with a huge cast of characters, two different worlds coming together through a portal motivated by even bigger baddies I'm not sure the movie will touch on much... There's just too much going, it'd be like if Marvel tried to do the Avengers from scratch without the lead ins.

There's still the potential that we fans will like it, I suppose, but they really chose the wrong time to represent in a film.

Yeah I can already feel that they've crammed a bit too much into the movie for the average person to handle, for us fans it wouldn't be that hard since we've read the books and played the game for many years. I agree with the Childhood and escape from Blackmoore for Thrall, that would have been a better start and a nice setup for a trilogy if not quad set of movies for them to expand upon.

I do imagine though what they would do for Arthas and the Lich King, that story seems so very far away and we probably might not even see it, even if we do we won't till maybe 2025 if not nearly 2030 because other future (possible) sequels would have to cover so much more ground with the lore, the MMO itself took me years to fully take in despite me enjoying every part of the adventure, average movie goers on the other hand might find it a bit too much to digest, especially over the years and afaik LotR was the only one that managed to keep the hype going and people excited to see each film over the years they went on for, including the Hobbit films.

I'll admit that despite many video game movie adaptations being bad to the casual aduience, I've found a fondness for some like Mortal Kombat, Mario, Postal, Resident Evil and Hitman.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I have a feeling that fans of the game will love it, and everyone else will find it mediocre to passable.

As long as it does better than Angry Birds. Come on peeps, we can't let Angry Birds, of all things, be the highest grossing video game movie.

Skratchy said:
As long as it does better than Angry Birds. Come on peeps, we can't let Angry Birds, of all things, be the highest grossing video game movie.

It's actually the 2nd highest rated video game adaption on rotten tomatoes (43%) after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (44%).

Resident Evil: Retribution sits at $296.2 mill at the box office and Angry Birds is already over half way there ($159.5 mill).

Funny thing is that Sony Pictures is behind all those 3 (and many more video game adaptions). They're doing a poor job but still better than all the other studios XD

Around the Network

Wow the 10/100 one seems especially harsh going to be interesting to see what my favorite YouTube reviewers think about it.

I was actually looking forward to seeing this, but generally when it gets THIS negative reviews, I don't think I've ever liked a movie, damn... :(

Twitter @CyberMalistix

LMAO, it's happening, Angry Birds will be the highest rated Videogame Movie of the year !!

Luke888 said:
LMAO, it's happening, Angry Birds will be the highest rated Videogame Movie of the year !!

Agreed, since I doubt the Assasins Creed movie will be any good either.  Also the Angry Bird movie isn't that good either its metascore is 43 its definetly not this years Lego movie like the say in the adds for it.  Its not even in the same league since The Lego movie has a metascore of 83.

I'm going to wait for reviews from people who love the games. It could be something that appeals to those of us that have read the books and like the lore... as we were talking about earlier in this thread it looks like they tried to squeeze to much into this movie.