By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the argument of a Wii Hard Drive still warrant discussion?

How big would a HD drive need to be? I don't quiet now what the size of the Wii's internal memory is (besides I have 1500 blocks or something like that left, no idea what it means though), but would an external HDD need to be more than, say, 10GB? A 10GB HDD would be dirt cheap I'd imagine, since last time I checked I can get a 350GB or so external HDD for $125. I'd also think 10GB would be more than enough, even for people downloading mega amounts of VC and WiiWare games, and whatever DLC ever comes.

I would like to see them add support for both playing games off of SD cards and support for a HDD, that way depending on what you want you can have it. I'm not sure if I'll ever need it, but at least there would be two options if the need ever came up.

Around the Network

yeah i think 10 gig would be enough for me

what are the benefits of an 8gb hard drive vs 8gb sd card?

a) 8gb sd card is $28, so price hardly matters here
b) flash drive is more stable...no moving parts to crash
c) hard drive means u have to have room to put that hard drive in your entertainment center and like the looks of it
d) hard drive means i have to tote that hdd around with me when i take my wii to a friend's house

and we are asking for it to be ACTIVE space, so u don't have to load the info onto the wii..we want the sd card to act the same way as a hdd

therefore, there is no difference when using them...the difference is having nothing external to the wii, no extra moving parts, no crashing hdd, no toting around extra equipment

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Stever89 said:
How big would a HD drive need to be? I don't quiet now what the size of the Wii's internal memory is (besides I have 1500 blocks or something like that left, no idea what it means though), but would an external HDD need to be more than, say, 10GB? A 10GB HDD would be dirt cheap I'd imagine, since last time I checked I can get a 350GB or so external HDD for $125. I'd also think 10GB would be more than enough, even for people downloading mega amounts of VC and WiiWare games, and whatever DLC ever comes.

I would like to see them add support for both playing games off of SD cards and support for a HDD, that way depending on what you want you can have it. I'm not sure if I'll ever need it, but at least there would be two options if the need ever came up.

Just because a 300GB hard drive is cheap doesn't mean a 10 GB is super cheap....I can get an 80 GB for almost the same price as a 20 GB, for instance.

10 GB would be kinda stupid though...that would fill up before long, and it'd probably be best for both Nintendo and the consumer to have at least 20GB. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Fastrabbit09 said:
what are the benefits of an 8gb hard drive vs 8gb sd card?

a) 8gb sd card is $28, so price hardly matters here
b) flash drive is more stable...no moving parts to crash
c) hard drive means u have to have room to put that hard drive in your entertainment center and like the looks of it
d) hard drive means i have to tote that hdd around with me when i take my wii to a friend's house

and we are asking for it to be ACTIVE space, so u don't have to load the info onto the wii..we want the sd card to act the same way as a hdd

therefore, there is no difference when using them...the difference is having nothing external to the wii, no extra moving parts, no crashing hdd, no toting around extra equipment

a. Generally agree.  Obviously if you need lots of space HD are cheaper and can make a difference.  Until massive wii games are available on wiiware, it's moot....

b. Actually, hard drives are significantly more stable for heavy I/O (especially when there is lots of updates).  Flash drives have limitted write operations before they degrade, etc...   Flash drives are getting fairly reliable with built in block redirection and internal RAID banks. etc., but not yet up to the stability of hard drives when there is lots of updates.  (Nothing on the wii will require lots of updates, so this is moot too).

Around the Network

Personally, I'd prefer hard drives, since they are much more stable and cheaper.

But whatever happens, Nintendo are working on something. When you first start up Brawl, it says "CURRENTLY, you cannot save videos longer than 3 minutes." Now why would they say 'currently' if they weren't cooking something up?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

If Nintendo could somehow do an update to give the wii the ability to read thing's directly off the SD card, then an HDD wouldn't be necessary... Until then, it will be...

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits

I want a HDD :P

Well, if ninty allow this(Any HDD as active space) maybe most of the games with download content will support the Wii in this area, and maybe some WiiWare games could end up with bigger filesize...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Actually, I wanted to point something out. The Wii has already been hacked to play a homebrew game directly off of the SD card using a softmod (Twilight Princess Hack), so it can be done. On top of that, this has also been used to be able to add channels to the Wii Home Menu. Who wants to lay wagers on how long it will take before hackers can let you play your VC games straight from your SD card?

Actually, it would be interesting if Nintendo is just waiting for Hackers to manage it, and then they'll just pay the hackers for it.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I want usb hdd support. I have a 120 and 160 gb usb hdd.